Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: High speed PIT maneuver in Arkansas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I'd be fascinated to hear any insight you have into the psychology that's behind that.

I mean, I can imagine going on a high speed chase if I'm in the French Resistance and getting caught means dying screaming in a Gestapo dungeon, or I suppose if I have a few bodies in the trunk and the eluding charge is going to be stacked on LWOP anyway. But given the (relatively small???) probability of successfully getting away, why do it for a minor offense? Just a case of crooks not being good at figuring consequences? The consequences will come, say, ten minutes from now and that's past their event horizon?

I guess this is just one of the special cases of the general case of honest people not understanding crooks, even putting morality aside. I can understand addicts, I guess, whose immediate need eclipses any thoughts of consequences, or maybe a Wall Street type who figures making $20M on an insider trading scheme is worth a .01% chance of getting caught, but doing a high speed chase for a minor crime just seems ... dumb. Heck, ignore the legal penalty and just think about the cost of wrecking; it just doesn't add up.
    Please remember what I said earlier about no matter what they are stopped for they know what they have done. If they don't like jail then this a legitimate reason to play the odds when when they believe that driving on a revoked licence will send them to jail, even if the stop is for not using a turn signal. Some cops are lazy, and won't look into the stop far enough. Some just want the ticket and won't look farther...If you are afraid of going to jail, you will lie, rather telling a cop your real name. See my post on trying to beat the odds. With a some cops, it may work. Others will get the stinger up and try to figure out the lie. They may not be satisfied untill your ass is beaten and on on its way to jail, but the odds of satisfying that curiosity is in their favor.

Think about it... an hour long chase, followed by an ass beating IF you are caught, versus a weekend (or in my state 2 hours) in jail. If you don't get caught, you have a story of victory in a pursuit...

Most folks think they are smarter than the average line cop, and they don't know that depending on the cop they might need to pack a lunch and bring friends to get through the contact. I have "won" far more (questionable) contacts than I have lost. I am just not as dumb as they want me to be...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 04-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.

The PIT has been a huge help with our agency. Most of us have a couple of PITs after a few years on the job. It’s an excellent way to immobilize drunk drivers who are traveling at low speeds and are an ongoing danger to the public. Done correctly it will not damage the patrol unit and minimal damage to the target vehicle. For us anything over 40-45 mph is considered a deadly force pit and the totality of the situation dictates it. 100mph is definitely deadly force....

User Tag List