Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for .22lr 1911's?

Site Supporter
    For just plinking, the Kimber conversion I had (2013 model) ran very well and I enjoyed it. Even ate bulk ammo. Only sold it to fund a reloading press.

I've got a Ruger MkIV 22/45, and am following this discussion with interest. While nice, the MkIV hinged trigger is not a 1911 trigger, the safety is all wrong, and it's just plain not a 1911. This takes nothing away from what a good all-around .22 it is, but I find it woefully lacking as a "trainer" for the 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I had the Kimber conversion kit, it worked very well. No last round hold open, but it was stupid accurate. Vaguely miss it to be honest.
    Same with mine. Superb adjustable sights.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've got a Ruger MkIV 22/45, and am following this discussion with interest. While nice, the MkIV hinged trigger is not a 1911 trigger, the safety is all wrong, and it's just plain not a 1911. This takes nothing away from what a good all-around .22 it is, but I find it woefully lacking as a "trainer" for the 1911
    All very good points. However I have found that the Ruger MkIV 22/45 is ideal for practicing marksmanship and SHO/WHO shooting, which have been things that are difficult for me to practice effectively in my dry fire routine.

I find that for the most part, a rimfire pistol is good for training things that carry over well to other firearm types. I noticed that after I shoot my Ruger, I tend to pay much more attention to sights and trigger press and less attention to recoil and muzzle blast, leading me to shoot much more accurately, whether with a 1911 or a Beretta. So I guess my answer to this question is "whichever gun that will cycle bulk pack ammo"

I'll echo the Kimber conversion. I wish centerfire 1911s ran this well.

My advantage arms conversion on my Colt .38 super works flawlessly with ammo it likes. Mine likes Rem golden bullets in the big plastic bucket. Haven't cleaned it in a while either.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone have any experience with this one?

https://www.rkguns.com/ati-gsg-1911-...210m1911t.html

IMO, if one owns a government model already then a conversion unit is useful because it allows one to use the exact trigger/grip of the center fire alternate. Converting back to the center fire unit is easy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Is there a quantifiable difference with the TandemKross kit?

Thanks!
    Huge difference. Given fixed barrel/frame interface on the GSG, the slide fit is crap and thus so is the repeatable accuracy. The conical barrel bit and tighter bushing took the pistol from 'meh' with Dawsons on a good day to 'nice' I'm still running factory fire control and non-extended magazines.

I've been using an older GSG 1911 since about 2011 or so, usually with a suppressor. I've worn most of the finish off the slide and it keeps on being reliable with any good quality ammunition and an occasional cleaning/lubing.

User Tag List