Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Now that Olight is spooling up in PF world...what about that BALDR?

Got mine today. Initial thoughts:

1. I like the design. Locked up good on my G19s. Very little wobble. But,
    2. Doesn’t fit in my Safariland 6390. Which sucks.
    3. Doesn’t fit in the Blackhawk T series for a TLR-7. Which isn’t surprising since that holster locks in on the light.
    4. Switch design isn’t conducive to a 12 o’clock rail mount On my rifles since the switches need to be pushed up instead of down when mounted at the 6 o’clock. It’s doable, just not intuitive.

Based on all of the above it will get relegated to my next to the bed pistol.

Edit: I should say that it doesn’t fit well in the 6390. I could jam it down in there, but it was a PITA to get out. I think you could fix that with a heat gun, but I’m not willing to do that on a $150 holster just to evaluate the light/laser.
    Last edited by Lon; 09-02-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I couldn’t get mine to zero. Ran out of adjustment. Emailed Olight late the night I got it. Got an email promptly with a video link to help w the zero issue. Breakdown in coms on my part and it was the wrong model in the video (my fault). Emailed them again on a Friday night to tell them still no joy and him got a response within 15 minutes. On a Friday night after 2100 EST. They’re replacing it and sending a return label.

I’ll give them mad props for customer service. Hopefully the replacement zeroes without issue.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Olight CS replied and suggested I trade the screws for replacements that came with the lights. I did, and it did not improve the issue. After spending some more time with the units, it is obvious that the movement is from the light failing to lock down on it's adjustable rail. A couple of reviews have popped up on amazon documenting the same issue: https://www.amazon.com/SKYBEN-Tactic...03&sr=8-7&th=1

It seems like this is a design problem, or at least a problem with this batch's execution. I asked Olight if I could return the lights for a refund. We'll see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I couldn’t get mine to zero. Ran out of adjustment. Emailed Olight late the night I got it. Got an email promptly with a video link to help w the zero issue. Breakdown in coms on my part and it was the wrong model in the video (my fault). Emailed them again on a Friday night to tell them still no joy and him got a response within 15 minutes. On a Friday night after 2100 EST. They’re replacing it and sending a return label.

I’ll give them mad props for customer service. Hopefully the replacement zeroes without issue.
    Got tracking info for my new one this morning.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Olight sent me the following response:

"Thanks for contacting us and sorry for keeping you waiting.

We sincerely apologize for the bad experience you had with our product! The Baldr Mini indeed has the common issue you have mentioned, we were aware that. We already reported this issue to our engineers to let them know. Actually it is difficult to set a green laser in such a small weapon light, but we will work harder to keep up the great work to make our higher quality products to your guys."

I sent mine back. I have a sad. I really wanted this thing to work. Looks like Streanlight TLR-8G is still the hot ticket for now. I'd really like to see an option with the laser closer to the bore.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I picked up a BALDR on a whim and mounted it on my AR at 9 o'clock. Got it zero'd at 25 after some fits and starts - no adjustment markings on the light or in the instructions (just says something like "turn adjustment screws to adjust laser" - really, thanks. Could you possibly be more vague?). It locks onto the rail nice and tight, and is hella bright; laser is stupid easy to pick up in mid-low light. Even in full daylight on a sunny paper target, you can still see the dot (sort of) out to 50 yards, so I'm not sure what else I could ask for from a light that cost me $115 shipped to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Looks like Streanlight TLR-8G is still the hot ticket for now. I'd really like to see an option with the laser closer to the bore.
    I may try one of these soonish. I want something that’s closer to the bore but also overall lower profile as well as more easily removed from the gun to mount at 12 o’clock on my PCC.

Which was also my hope for the mini. Maybe not low profile enough but certainly more easily dismounted.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I may try one of these soonish. I want something that’s closer to the bore but also overall lower profile as well as more easily removed from the gun to mount at 12 o’clock on my PCC.

Which was also my hope for the mini. Maybe not low profile enough but certainly more easily dismounted.
    Concur on all points. I have the 8AG, laser offset is an issue if you want to zero it at "normal" handgun ranges. I did a rough zero at 10 yards and couldn't believe how low I shot at 25... In theory, once you get the 8A "zero'd" on your pistol, you shouldn't be taking it on and off, but, when you want or need to, the screw-tightening approach is a minor PITA. Olight throw lever is much mo' bettah, if only the mount for the mini wasn't apparently AFU.

All that being said, I've got some new shooters looking for gear to buy, and when they want a light/laser recommendation, the 8A/AG seems to be the "G19" of the light/laser world right now.

Site Supporter

Baldr Pro on Sale for $105 Amazon Prime Day

FYI -- Amazon has a Prime Day sale price of $105 on the Baldr Pro.

User Tag List