Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Mode for PF?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am trying Night Mode Pro on a windows 10 based HP laptop using Firefox, results seem promising.

Edit to add: It seems that not all colors are 'inverted' in night mode. When the screen goes dark, the colors in certain hyperlinks are still dark, leading you to conclude they are not there. (They are there if you mouse over them). So while buggy it does seem to help with keeping the screen dark. If I figure out the hyperlink thing I will post back.
    I deinstalled the "Night Mode Pro" plug in.

I just could not figure out how to make the hyperlinks appear in "night" mode. They are there, but the plug-in seems to invert all the colors on a page EXCEPT the hyperlinks. Which if you say want to upload a picture, is a bit hard to do if you don't remember exactly where they are (they appear if you hover over them).

If I ever get it figured out, I'll post back.

I have been hearing for a while that mobile mode, which doesn’t allow me to like stuff but which is still better than howdy, is due for an upgrade.

I'm trying another FF Browser extension, "Dark Mode":

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  31.8 KB

This one seems to preserve the ability to see hyperlinks in "Dark" mode. So far so good.

Any chance a Dark Mode Style is coming anytime soon?

Almost all of the open tabs on my desktop are now dark mode...It is a bit of a shock to activate p-f and have the screen go from a nice neutral set of black/gray shades with easy to read text, to a glaring mostly white page with orange font. I have a dark mode extention on ff available, but when it's active, all of my other discussion boards look weird so I turn it off. Mostly I just live with it, but it is a turn-off from visiting p-f.

Not a yuge deal of course but with so many sites offering this as an option these days, does p-f have any plans to implement dark mode in the works?

Any chance a Dark Mode Style is coming anytime soon?

Almost all of the open tabs on my desktop are now dark mode...It is a bit of a shock to activate p-f and have the screen go from a nice neutral set of black/gray shades with easy to read text, to a glaring mostly white page with orange font. I have a dark mode extention on ff available, but when it's active, all of my other discussion boards look weird so I turn it off. Mostly I just live with it, but it is a turn-off from visiting p-f.

Not a yuge deal of course but with so many sites offering this as an option these days, does p-f have any plans to implement dark mode in the works?
    That's why I usually only check PF on a real computer during the day at work where all my business apps also cram blue light into my eyes. The default mobile style is so bare bones that you can almost use it and Tapatalk has dark mode but that software is just awful if not harmful.

Any possible updates on this?

I've been moving from computer to computer lately, with different monitors rendering hte site in different ways. My current one (an HP Laptop) turns out to have selected an Orange color against the white back ground as to make making out the web page eye-wateringly difficult.

There is such little contrast between the white overall background and the bright orange text that is it very difficult to resolve the text.

I've tried a couple times to tweak the colors available from the palette but never stumbled onto which setting in the web page markup corresponds to background color. Using "dark mode" Firefox extensions is probably where I am going to end up, but I thought I'd swing through here again to see if anyone had any other clever ideas.

I also suspect as I get older (64 next year) my eyes are slowly losing the ability to discriminate orange, as I've always been a little color blind. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

I also suspect as I get older (64 next year) my eyes are slowly losing the ability to discriminate orange, as I've always been a little color blind. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
    Nothing a new set of eyes can’t fix…

Name:  388B9B68-FA15-4866-B9FE-87662EAAE184.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  53.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Any possible updates on this?

I've been moving from computer to computer lately, with different monitors rendering hte site in different ways. My current one (an HP Laptop) turns out to have selected an Orange color against the white back ground as to make making out the web page eye-wateringly difficult.

There is such little contrast between the white overall background and the bright orange text that is it very difficult to resolve the text.

I've tried a couple times to tweak the colors available from the palette but never stumbled onto which setting in the web page markup corresponds to background color. Using "dark mode" Firefox extensions is probably where I am going to end up, but I thought I'd swing through here again to see if anyone had any other clever ideas.

Rich,
    I use Samsung Internet as a browser on my galaxy tablet. Within it, changing to dark theme sites does exactly that, even on pistol-forum. Black background, white text. Neither Chrome nor duckduckgo display pf in the dark theme properly. To my knowledge it's android only, and running an android emulator to read PF seems excessive, but perhaps there's another browser that would work?

Any updates? I admit I don’t have any idea what’s involved in making the change but this is one of the few sites I visit so dark mode or even just a better color palette would be superb.

Since this thread got topped, I realized I was using a different browser than I had been, so I looked at options I had now.

I recently started using "Brave", a open-source Mozzila-based Chromium derivative browser, with its built-in privacy features. I used duckduckgo to search for "brave dark mode", and came up with this:

brave://flags/#enable-force-dark

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-02-14 04-58-11.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  16.7 KB

After enabling this "dark" option, across all web pages, the site now renders like this:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-02-14 04-57-29.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  43.5 KB

As well, all the other discussion forum sites I'm on that support "dark mode" aren't affected, they are still dark mode. So I'll keep this setting and continue to use, but it looks like it has solved the problem for me.

My current computer setup is an older Gateway desktop running Linux Mint 21, VGA'd to a Roku 32" TV, using the aforementioned Brave browser, version 1.45.133.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-14-2023 at 05:11 AM.

User Tag List