Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in Canada

This article is starting to get legs:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...ver-operation/

”The withdrawal of $475,000 in cash by the man who killed 22 Nova Scotians in April matches the method the RCMP uses to send money to confidential informants and agents, sources say.

... Sources in both banking and the RCMP say the transaction is consistent with how the RCMP funnels money to its confidential informants and agents, and is not an option available to private banking customers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This article is starting to get legs:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...ver-operation/

”The withdrawal of $475,000 in cash by the man who killed 22 Nova Scotians in April matches the method the RCMP uses to send money to confidential informants and agents, sources say.

... Sources in both banking and the RCMP say the transaction is consistent with how the RCMP funnels money to its confidential informants and agents, and is not an option available to private banking customers.”
    So... what does this mean? I understand the article is tying him to the RCMP based upon methods used to transfer and withdraw funds but what are the down stream implications of this?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    So... what does this mean? I understand the article is tying him to the RCMP based upon methods used to transfer and withdraw funds but what are the down stream implications of this?
    If I had to sum it up in an admittedly conjectural sentence, it would be something like this:

The guy probably had familial ties to organized crime and the RCMP figured they could use him to build a big case so they gave him half a million bucks and ignored his domestic violence issues and all the warnings that he was crazy and amassing a stockpile of illegal guns through his criminal connections because it would have tanked the case they were building, and he took that money and built on his police connections to help him plan and execute a killing spree which included not only the second worst mass shooting we've had but also a series of even worse murders in which people were burned alive, and the cover-up of this is likely to be extensive because the warning signs were obvious.

The size of the payout suggests to me that there is even more at play here than just building a case. By Canadian standards that's huge money.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    If I had to sum it up in an admittedly conjectural sentence, it would be something like this:

The guy probably had familial ties to organized crime and the RCMP figured they could use him to build a big case so they gave him half a million bucks and ignored his domestic violence issues and all the warnings that he was crazy and amassing a stockpile of illegal guns through his criminal connections because it would have tanked the case they were building, and he took that money and built on his police connections to help him plan and execute a killing spree which included not only the second worst mass shooting we've had but also a series of even worse murders in which people were burned alive, and the cover-up of this is likely to be extensive because the warning signs were obvious.

The size of the payout suggests to me that there is even more at play here than just building a case. By Canadian standards that's huge money.
    Thanks for the response, I wasn't sure if we were going to go down some deep government activity to get on gun control through a mass shooting hole...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Budget cuts.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    No, like most things, I think the best explanation is a combination of organizational inertia - I believe the local unit had only recently taken over handling RCMP agents, so there was probably an intel lag, assuming the speculation laid out here is in fact true - and general incompetence, which is always a huge factor in, I don't know, life.

The guy clearly did have a lot of connections to organized crime and police, but then it's hard to say what that means in a small town in Nova Scotia. I think the main thing is that he was super weird, violent, and obsessed with the police, and nobody did anything about it even though I don't think it was any secret. Whether the local cops had actionable stuff, though, I have no idea; that's sort of my guess about intel lag. I bet there was more known at a higher level, but it didn't make it down to the men and women actually tasked with dealing with street-level problems. I have no doubt that the local street cops would have picked him up for assault or uttering threats or anything they could prove he did, but the police don't lay charges here, they just recommend them to the crown prosecutor. If there was a breakdown in that system, who knows where it happened. I bet not in the beat cops, though.

Just my instinct on this, though. I don't have any information beyond what's available in the mainstream press. It's geographically about as far removed from me as Boise is from Jacksonville and maybe equally culturally different, too.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Truro shooting range to shut for Portapique anniversaries after complaints

Truro Police Service chief Dave MacNeil said the range was booked in early January by an outside police agency for three days of training between April 19, 20 and 21. “We would agree they probably shouldn’t have taken the booking but someone didn’t think (about the April anniversary dates), and the range was booked on the basis that those dates were open," he said. "In hindsight, whoever called should have known that was one of the days you shouldn’t call to book the range. But it was booked, unfortunately.” “In hindsight, whoever called should have known that that was one of the days you shouldn’t call to book the range. But it was booked, unfortunately. “Someone didn’t pick up on them, which regrettably they should have. As a police service, we’re very regrettable that that happened and we’ve taken steps to address that by blacking those dates off on a go forward, so nobody will be on the range for the 18th and 19th." Truro Mayor Bill Mills, when contacted about the incident, said that is precisely what will happen going forward. “Certainly, apologies are in order and, as I said, that will never be repeated again,” said Mills, who added that the dates of April 18 and 19 will be blocked off "perpetually" for future activity at the Truro police shooting range.
    https://www.saltwire.com/nova-scotia...ies-100579142/

If I lived there I’d be happy the cops were training there. That means a lot of them in the area.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Truro Police Service chief Dave MacNeil said the range was booked in early January by an outside police agency for three days of training between April 19, 20 and 21. “We would agree they probably shouldn’t have taken the booking but someone didn’t think (about the April anniversary dates), and the range was booked on the basis that those dates were open," he said. "In hindsight, whoever called should have known that was one of the days you shouldn’t call to book the range. But it was booked, unfortunately.” “In hindsight, whoever called should have known that that was one of the days you shouldn’t call to book the range. But it was booked, unfortunately. “Someone didn’t pick up on them, which regrettably they should have. As a police service, we’re very regrettable that that happened and we’ve taken steps to address that by blacking those dates off on a go forward, so nobody will be on the range for the 18th and 19th." Truro Mayor Bill Mills, when contacted about the incident, said that is precisely what will happen going forward. “Certainly, apologies are in order and, as I said, that will never be repeated again,” said Mills, who added that the dates of April 18 and 19 will be blocked off "perpetually" for future activity at the Truro police shooting range.
    https://www.saltwire.com/nova-scotia...ies-100579142/
    Oh, Canada what has become of a once rugged folk who settled a brutal frontier and and weren’t afraid to occasionally help make war on those rebellious scoundrels on their southern border. If only you could harness the power of your ancestors’ spinning in their graves you would have a limitless supply of green energy.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Leaked 911 tapes reveal RCMP knew killer's identity much earlier than they claimed

Mounties will investigate "the source of the recordings and any related offences that may have occurred with respect to unauthorized release, possession and subsequent publishing," Asst. Commissioner Lee Bergerman, who heads up the Nova Scotia RCMP, said in a written statement. "Although we would not generally comment on matters that are the subject of a public inquiry and ongoing litigation, given the heartbreaking effect on victims’ families and on our employees, we are publicly condemning the publication of the audio recordings," Bergerman said.
    https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...-on-100595734/

User Tag List