Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in Canada

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Word is he had prior assault charges and a no gun order but that's only what I hear; I have no link to offer anyone and can't swear to the above.

Just based on the manner of approach with the pulling over random cars, ordinarily I'd see that as a probable handgun. But who knows.

16 crime scenes as far as I know so far. Not sure how many had bodies. But at first blush I don't think it makes for a convenient case re: mass shooters/assault rifles.

My guess, though,is that not much information is out, not because the media isn't able to hype it, but because they aren't getting details from the RCMP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Word is he had prior assault charges and a no gun order but that's only what I hear; I have no link to offer anyone and can't swear to the above.

Just based on the manner of approach with the pulling over random cars, ordinarily I'd see that as a probable handgun. But who knows.

16 crime scenes as far as I know so far. Not sure how many had bodies. But at first blush I don't think it makes for a convenient case re: mass shooters/assault rifles.

My guess, though,is that not much information is out, not because the media isn't able to hype it, but because they aren't getting details from the RCMP.
    I wonder how much of the info lockdown is related to an internal inquiry on how he was able to mock up /clone an RCMP uniform and vehicle.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would say between that and he death of a member, plus the failure to use the emergency broadcast setup in favour of just tweeting about it... yeah, they're probably feeling like this is going to throw a real spotlight on them and they're locking down.

I have mixed feelings about that.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    If Trudeau is wanting to use this to ban EVIL ASSAULT GUNS and no such gun was used - it would propose a problem. Then again these days logic and reason are out the window.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The death toll has risen to 23.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

The death toll is up to 23 now. Still no details on firearm(s) involved.

The use of an authentic looking RCMP vehicle (so much so that RCMP were tweeting the unit number so people could distinguish the shooter's vehicle from the real ones), along with the shooter wearing a police uniform is pretty creepy, and I wonder how all this could be obtained without the RCMP at least noticing and perhaps allowing / accepting. I am not a police officer so I doubt it would be OK for me to drive around in a replica police cruiser, wearing a police uniform – why was he able to do this?

The shooter apparently bought the vehicle at auction, not sure about the other stuff he had. My bet is that going forward police vehicles, uniforms, accoutrements etc. will be the same as firearms - disposed of by destruction and not available to anyone else.

One aspect that will never be pursued effectively because... Canada ... is that none of the victims were able to defend themselves with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I would say between that and he death of a member, plus the failure to use the emergency broadcast setup in favour of just tweeting about it... yeah, they're probably feeling like this is going to throw a real spotlight on them and they're locking down.

I have mixed feelings about that.
    I hope the RCMP are not hiding anything. As horrible as this tragedy is, it would almost be worse if the facts were not exposed to the light of day. If somebody f'd up, the citizens of Canada deserve to know, and how we/they are going to reduce the loss of life in future.

I've been to Canada many times, as I am sure many of you have also. It is a wonderful place, filled with wonderful, big hearted people. These folks need to bury their dead and grieve for their loss. It must be unimaginable what they are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    The death toll is up to 23 now. Still no details on firearm(s) involved.

The use of an authentic looking RCMP vehicle (so much so that RCMP were tweeting the unit number so people could distinguish the shooter's vehicle from the real ones), along with the shooter wearing a police uniform is pretty creepy, and I wonder how all this could be obtained without the RCMP at least noticing and perhaps allowing / accepting. I am not a police officer so I doubt it would be OK for me to drive around in a replica police cruiser, wearing a police uniform – why was he able to do this?

The shooter apparently bought the vehicle at auction, not sure about the other stuff he had. My bet is that going forward police vehicles, uniforms, accoutrements etc. will be the same as firearms - disposed of by destruction and not available to anyone else.

One aspect that will never be pursued effectively because... Canada ... is that none of the victims were able to defend themselves with a firearm.
    It seems like with the tactics this guy used, any asshole with a single-shot shotgun could become a mass shooter.

One of the unintended consequences of weapons bans is a scary increase in "creativity."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I hope the RCMP are not hiding anything. As horrible as this tragedy is, it would almost be worse if the facts were not exposed to the light of day. If somebody f'd up, the citizens of Canada deserve to know, and how we/they are going to reduce the loss of life in future.

I've been to Canada many times, as I am sure many of you have also. It is a wonderful place, filled with wonderful, big hearted people. These folks need to bury their dead and grieve for their loss. It must be unimaginable what they are going through.
    I love Canada, it's like Europe without the snooty attitude.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    It seems like with the tactics this guy used, any asshole with a single-shot shotgun could become a mass shooter.

One of the unintended consequences of weapons bans is a scary increase in "creativity."
    @Mas has written about a 19th-century mass shooting where the perp used Uncle Joe's double-barrel shotgun and executed tactical reloads, firing one and reloading, so he always had one ready to go just by closing the gun. Walking around a city, that could still be very effective.

There was a school shooting a few years back near Houston where the kid used a shotgun and revolver, which I think I heard belonged to his grandfather. The media and politicians kinda leave that one out of the calls for assault weapon bans.

Countries where they really did take all the guns away still have mass killings with blades. Just as there were before there were guns. And others have killings with trucks. One of the worst school murders ever was with explosives.

People who want to kill will find a way, as long as people are made of meat and can be killed by inflicting tissue damage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List