Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean your dies!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Please tell me more about this issue. I have been loading on Dillon presses since 1992, more than 100K rounds, and have never cleaned a primer tube of any type.

What did you clean it with and what stuff came out when you cleaned it?
    I’ve had my xl650 since ‘95ish. Never cleaned the tube and never had a chain reaction detonation. From what I read years ago most detonations occurred when the disc crushed a primer or something. It can’t hurt cleaning the tube every so often. I still think the most important thing with 650 is not force anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Please tell me more about this issue. I have been loading on Dillon presses since 1992, more than 100K rounds, and have never cleaned a primer tube of any type.

What did you clean it with and what stuff came out when you cleaned it?
    I used non chlorinated brake cleaner and isopropyl alcohol on swabs. It's absolutely a known phenomenon on 650s and 1050s, another forum member (@JV_) had this happen on his 1050. Supposedly this was one of the reasons the 750's priming system was redesigned.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    I’ve had my xl650 since ‘95ish. Never cleaned the tube and never had a chain reaction detonation. From what I read years ago most detonations occurred when the disc crushed a primer or something. It can’t hurt cleaning the tube every so often. I still think the most important thing with 650 is not force anything.
    I can't recommend you cleaning your primer tube enough, it is a well known issue.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/3...primer-kaboom/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...boom-(new-bee)

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/_...282594/?page=1

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...der-explosion/
    #RESIST

So here is a question for you: do you guys clean new dies when you get them before use? The instructions always say to do so, but I have never done. I must have at least 30 sets of dies of various types. Am I going to die?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This was my 9mm decapping and sizing die. I’ve been working on washing more 9mm before loading it up. I was surprised at how much effort it took to get the Dillon powder drop die clean. I also took the time to thoroughly clean out the exterior and interior primer tube, a absolute must for Dillon progressive owners, unless you want your stack of primers to ignite at once and embed the tube into the ceiling (common occurrence).
    It's that cheap powder you buy. I guess now I'll have to look inside my die and see if there's anything in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    So here is a question for you: do you guys clean new dies when you get them before use? The instructions always say to do so, but I have never done. I must have at least 30 sets of dies of various types. Am I going to die?
    I've never cleaned a new die so I guess you'll survive. I think I cleaned an old one after a really shitty job of pan lubing some .44 bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This was my 9mm decapping and sizing die. I’ve been working on washing more 9mm before loading it up. I was surprised at how much effort it took to get the Dillon powder drop die clean. I also took the time to thoroughly clean out the exterior and interior primer tube, a absolute must for Dillon progressive owners, unless you want your stack of primers to ignite at once and embed the tube into the ceiling (common occurrence).
    Acetone on a q-tip

User Tag List