Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The glock trigger safety is a little different from the 1911 grip safety, at least in intent. The GTS blocks the trigger from being bounced into actuation if the gun is dropped. The browning safety probably has a similar effect, but it really was intended as a user interface.
    Not my understanding -- do you have a definitive source on that? I believe Army Cav stipulated the grip safety as a drop-safe mechanism in the event of a muzzle-up landing...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

[QUOTE=Greg;1032395

This plus a memory bump makes it a non-issue unless you have boney cadaver hands. [/QUOTE]

You summed that up nicely. Add "arthritic" to the description and that's my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The glock trigger safety is a little different from the 1911 grip safety, at least in intent. The GTS blocks the trigger from being bounced into actuation if the gun is dropped. The browning safety probably has a similar effect, but it really was intended as a user interface.
    In practice, both do the same thing- keep the pistol from firing until the shooter interfaces with the pistol. A 1911 can't be fired until the pistol is gripped properly. The Glock can't be fired until the trigger finger first depresses the trigger safety.

The Glock trigger safety is more positive and is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    You summed that up nicely. Add "arthritic" to the description and that's my hands.
    My hands are getting the same way. My Colt 1911 has a memory bump. If I get my thumb up too high to ride the safety, the grip safety sometimes doesn't get pressed.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    ...My hands are getting the same way. My Colt 1911 has a memory bump. If I get my thumb up too high to ride the safety, the grip safety sometimes doesn't get pressed.
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Thumb-S...ctinfo/6BLLBP/
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I'm all for that tuning of a grip safety so it doesn't have to be bottomed out to allow trigger movement. Just to folks know that there is one type of 1911 where that's probably not a good idea, talking here about guns having a Swartz-style passive firing pin safety. These things are an issue right from the factory much of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXWGRbjUww&t=46s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvptEIw-6QQ

I don't think I've mentioned this before on PF, apologies if I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Interesting.

That could quite solve the problems I often have with the grip safety.

How much fitting is required? I've never performed any 1911 fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If it does not have a grip safety is it a 1911? New CZ "1911ish" single action pistol does not have a grip safety.
    I want a 1911, without a grip safety, and with the safety levers lowered enough that riding the safety doesn't interfere with the slide working.

Basically, a CZ-75 with a 1911 internals. Don't think it is possible, but I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Interesting.

That could quite solve the problems I often have with the grip safety.

How much fitting is required? I've never performed any 1911 fitting.
    No more fitting than any other thumb safety.

Doesn't help me as much as I wish it would. (Large hands and high grip.)
    When I do think I want a 1911, I want this thumb safety, and a deactivated grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post

Doesn't help me as much as I wish it would. (Large hands and high grip.
    That's the same problem I have with 1911s.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    That's a copy of the old Gunsite safety -- glad they dug it out. I've shot a gun with that extensively; it's good. I was able to solve the same set of problems by switching to slim grips -- plus I find the gun indexes better.

User Tag List