Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You can tune a 1911's grip safety so that it disengages with 1/3rd to 1/2 of it's travel.

This plus a memory bump makes it a non-issue unless you have boney cadaver hands.
    Nope.

3 of 3 grip safety delivered modern 2011s didn’t work at all for me until the feature was removed.

I do have fat palms and short fingers but still.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Interesting. 10 years ago, doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way.

Bruce Gray used to do a modification, maybe still does, where the tail part of the safety is fixed in place. Only the vertical part on the back strap still functions as a safety.

I always thought that was interesting, and would like to try it, as I often have trouble with the web of my thumb pressing up against the tail thus engaging the safety.

cc
    Yep! I understand that he called it the “Hardtail”. I think it’s very clever, and would love to have such a gun.

For me, the best grip safety would require very minimal travel to deactivate while also having strong spring pressure pushing into its activated state. I don’t have problems with modern beavertail designs, but I do have to spend some mental capacity to focus on deactivating the safety on older designs. It does feel nice to holster with both the thumb safety and grip safety engaged, with a thumb between the slide and hammer.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My problem with 1911s is that when I grip them, all I'm really getting solid pressure on is the front and back straps. Grip safeties aren't my issue.

It's almost like people come in all different shapes and sizes.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'd be perfectly OK with a grip-safety-less 1911, as I haven't done a cavalry charge into enemy contact in a few years. :-)
    Someone needs to up their LARP Game.

hello first time posting here and likely not many more, but I'ld like to address some possible misconceptions on the 1911.

over the years folks have come to believe that the grip safety was recommended by the Army Ordnance board.

the fact is, it was the thumb safety that was recommended by the Cavalry members of that board.

the model 1909 Colt,submitted for review following the 1907 trials, had a grip safety as designed by John Browning, but no thumb safety.

the grip safety was a "drop safety", if the weapon was dropped the passive thumb safety blocked the trigger.

this kept inertia from slamming the trigger rearward and discharging the weapon.

the weapon was to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

on the command of "lock and load", a cavalry troop would charge one round and prepare to fire.

if immediate firing was not in order, the hammer could be lowered to a safe condition, as invisioned by Browning.

the Cavalry felt lowering the hammer would be to complicated for a troop that may have only one free hand, the other hanging on to a nervous horse.

they requested a manual safety, Browning added a thumb safety to the model 1910 for review, which was eventually adopted as the 1911.

with firing pin safeties on current 1911 types, the grip safety is redundant, but still a good idea on older production pistols.

my 2cents....

Site Supporter
    On two different occasions, I unknowingly wiped off the thumb safety of a 1911 while carrying one. I was glad to have the grip safety both times, and now only carry a 1911 in holsters that make wiping off the thumb safety impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If I ever have a complete custom build done my goal is to have that part installed. I view the GS on 1911’s as superfluous.

As for it catching on I thought I remembered Novak’s not selling the part. If you wanted it you had to have them install it.
    From my reading, they initially sold a small amount of the part. Then stopped. My understanding is that now, the only way to get the piece is to spec a custom build with it. Ie, you can only get it if they build you a gun.

The DWX and EDC9 both lack grip safeties. I see these style designs as evolutions of the 1911.

Many have had it pinned, rubberband it, or used one peice beavertails that removed it. I guess its really a matter of it being easy to disable if it's there - but a gun without it cant have it added. So my bet is to make it more marketable it's kept. Until recently.

-Cory

https://infinity.americommerce.com/t...ip-safety.aspx

Select "non pivoting" from the "Pivot" pull down box.
    Done... no more grip safety.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List