Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Here’s the height difference between an EB grip safety and a Wilson. Notice how close to the pin the EB is cut, and how flat the actual safety is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Harrison's FAQ has a good discussion on grip safeties and how they differ from vendor to vendor. It deals with installation issues as well as how the pistol handles. http://www.harrisoncustom.com/FAQ.aspx

Current production beavertail grip safeties can be divided into three main groups: those with a .250" frame radius, those with the Wilson pattern compound radius and the S&A's. The first group was originally made popular by the Ed Brown Memory Groove beavertail. This first group includes the Ed Brown, the STI Competition and the Chip McCormick. They are all similar in appearance to the Ed Brown. Also using a .250" frame radius is the Smith & Alexander (S&A), but is not included in the first group because it does not share the same external contours. Because of their unique characteristics, I'll treat the S&A's as a third group.

Group 1 beavertails all share the common trait of raising your hand appreciably higher on the frame of the pistol than most other grip safeties. Because these safeties all raise the firing hand so high, there are some peculiarities associated with their installation on certain pistols. The Group 1 beavertails all require a good bit more external metal removal than the other two groups. Because Group 1 beavertails all use a .250" radius, the initial installation can be done on a mill with special tooling and then hand filed to fit. Type 1 beavertails present their own installation challenge. Because the sides of the frame tangs need to be shaped in an arc that matches up to the "tail" part of the grip safety, the lower side of the "shield" part of the thumb safety must be raised to match, otherwise it will overhang the frame's edge (when it's in the "disengaged or down" position). When the shield is reshaped to not overhang, a small portion of the hole in the frame that is beneath the shield may be exposed to view when the safety is raised to the "engaged or up" position. If you have an objection to the hole being exposed, you'd be well advised to select a Group 3 safety, that doesn't raise the hand quite so high. In practice, this is rarely a problem.

Group 2 beavertails all use the compound frame radius developed by Wilson Combat. This group includes the Wilson #298, the Caspian, Clark and Springfield Armory. The Group 2 products take less work to blend the exterior to the frame than the Group 1 beavertails, but because the frame joint is a compound radius, it's initial installation to the frame tangs is not conducive to machine cutting. Group 2's are generally ground to rough shape, using a template, then filed to fit by hand. They all give you the advantage of raising your hand on the frame, but not quite as high as Group 1. Group 2 safeties are a little less likely to expose the hole than Group 1 safeties.

Group 3, the Smith and Alexander products, use either a .250" radius or a .220" radius. The smaller .220" radius was developed to solve a particular installation challenge found primarily on Springfield Armory frames (although it can be found on others). The S&A's need very little blending on the exterior, but in trade raise the hand little, if any. The Baer beavertail is very similar to the .250" S&A.
    Personally the S&A grip safety on the SA pistols provides me a very positive grip safety deactivation without a need to "desensitize" or tune the grip safety. The gun definitely sits higher in the grip, but it is not objectionable to me. On Colt pistols, the Wilson Combat grip safety works well. On my Ed Brown pistols, of course I have the maker's grip safety. And on those guns, I have no issues. On Cot frames, the same Ed Brown safety can allow me to not release the safety with a high grip and my strong-side thumb on the thumb safety.

Here's the Colt beavertail grip safety. The bump is rather large, I personally think a Kimber without the bump is the most comfortable, but it's really not a big deal. The undercut on the trigger guard on this model really improves the grip and allows a higher purchase.

My opinion is that the grip safety is part of the 1911 design and will always be incorporated with it. There are 1911 "style" pistols without it, Kimber Micro, Sig P938, Springfield 911, Star Model B.

User Tag List