Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    I want a 1911, without a grip safety, and with the safety levers lowered enough that riding the safety doesn't interfere with the slide working.

Basically, a CZ-75 with a 1911 internals. Don't think it is possible, but I want it.
    I mean....https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I knew what you meant. I like the DWX setup, except for the safety placement. I never had a problem with a 1911 slide in 45 or 10mm and bare hands, but if I'm wearing gloves or shooting lighter cartridges, my thumb brushing the slide has caused issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    I knew what you meant. I like the DWX setup, except for the safety placement. I never had a problem with a 1911 slide in 45 or 10mm and bare hands, but if I'm wearing gloves or shooting lighter cartridges, my thumb brushing the slide has caused issues.
    We'll see how well the DWX works in practice. In theory it seems like that could be an issue, but without a plunger tube, the thumb safety could stick out farther from the slide helping negate the issues.

There are also 'high shield' safeties for 1911s (pic below stolen from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop) - https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-ambi...ield-stainless

Name:  daa-1911-2011-ambi-safeties-with-shield__96012.1559325319.370.370.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  17.9 KB

We'll see how well the DWX works in practice. In theory it seems like that could be an issue, but without a plunger tube, the thumb safety could stick out farther from the slide helping negate the issues.

There are also 'high shield' safeties for 1911s (pic below stolen from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop) - https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-ambi...ield-stainless

Name:  daa-1911-2011-ambi-safeties-with-shield__96012.1559325319.370.370.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  17.9 KB
    Yea, the things this thread made me think about are:

The non-pivoting SVI grip safety. https://infinity.americommerce.com/p...ip-Safety.aspx

And frame-mounted thumb shields, the low trigger, or the thumb shield trigger. The thing is, they don't make an ambi-low trigger and frame mounted thumb shields on both sides seem problematic too.

How does the DWX not come with an optic cut slide? Seriously.
    Has anyone even been able to get one cut for it?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    How does the DWX not come with an optic cut slide? Seriously.
    Has anyone even been able to get one cut for it?
    Well, it's still vaporware. Covid put a crimp on the release date - though I'm sure there are several out there being test driven and vetted. But I doubt anyone's had one long enough to get it off to a smith to start evaluating optics cuts.

Of course, the base pistol is designed to be a Production competition gun, so no optics allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Of course, the base pistol is designed to be a Production competition gun, so no optics allowed.
    Except single action guns aren't allowed in Production. But neither are they allowed in Combat Optics.

I think the general idea is 3-gunners, USPSA Limited, and anyone that shoots/carries a CZ75 in Condition 1.

And maybe to piss in STI and Wilson Combat's cheerios. People want double-stack 1911s that don't cost 3000 bucks, work, and use readily available magazines. Here, have a Dan Wesson X.

The DWX, in theory, fixes some of the issues that occur with trying to optimize a CZ75-series gun for single-action work (i.e., getting rid of the vague and poorly placed thumb safety), but still allow competitors some leeway in magazine use and the same grip frame as shared with a CZ75 (so if you shoot a Shadow 2 in production, a DWX should fit right in your hand without an issue when you shoot Limited).

It's also Dan Wesson's way of getting rid of the Caspian-derived double-stack magazine they were using in the Elite series. A gun that could not compete with STI, because it is even bigger than a damn STI in grip circumference. Not too mention the Caspian mags are ridiculously expensive.

Except single action guns aren't allowed in Production. But neither are they allowed in Combat Optics.

I think the general idea is 3-gunners, USPSA Limited, and anyone that shoots/carries a CZ75 in Condition 1.

And maybe to piss in STI and Wilson Combat's cheerios. People want double-stack 1911s that don't cost 3000 bucks, work, and use readily available magazines. Here, have a Dan Wesson X.

The DWX, in theory, fixes some of the issues that occur with trying to optimize a CZ75-series gun for single-action work (i.e., getting rid of the vague and poorly placed thumb safety), but still allow competitors some leeway in magazine use and the same grip frame as shared with a CZ75 (so if you shoot a Shadow 2 in production, a DWX should fit right in your hand without an issue when you shoot Limited).

It's also Dan Wesson's way of getting rid of the Caspian-derived double-stack magazine they were using in the Elite series. A gun that could not compete with STI, because it is even bigger than a damn STI in grip circumference. Not too mention the Caspian mags are ridiculously expensive.
    Ah, poop, that's right, no SA in Production.

My only gripe about the DWX is the compact. WTF did they make the DWX work with P09/P10F mags (easy to obtain and cheap), but the Compact NOT feed off P07/P10C mags?

Doesn't matter. I'll own one when they're available, and "make due" with yet ANOTHER type of magazines I've got to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Ah, poop, that's right, no SA in Production.

My only gripe about the DWX is the compact. WTF did they make the DWX work with P09/P10F mags (easy to obtain and cheap), but the Compact NOT feed off P07/P10C mags?

Doesn't matter. I'll own one when they're available, and "make due" with yet ANOTHER type of magazines I've got to stock.
    Since I'm also more interested in the Compact, why didn't they give it the same beautifully undercut trigger guard as the full size? Especially since there's even less grip length to grab onto?
    Grrrrr... Simple things that make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Since I'm also more interested in the Compact, why didn't they give it the same beautifully undercut trigger guard as the full size? Especially since there's even less grip length to grab onto?
    Grrrrr... Simple things that make a big difference.
    It looks to me like an undercut would have interfered with the magazine release. The frame on the Compact looks like it is almost straight lifted from the P01/CZ75 Compact. The P01 does not have an undercut trigger guard either.

The full size frame looks something more like a P09/SP01/1911 hybrid.

The mag release on the P09 is higher up than on a P01.

Honestly, I too think they should have used the P07 frame dimensions and mag release. It would have made more sense.

The justification for using the P01 frame and CZ75 Compact magazine is a bit perplexing to me. I can only guess they were trying to shrink it down as far as possible...since the 75-compact magazine is a bit smaller in dimensions the P07.

User Tag List