Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Here's one needs pinned.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I’ve never had an issue deactivating the grip safety on a 1911. But I wouldn’t be heart broken if all of mine were pinned or replaced with fixed beavertail inserts. The 1911 fits so well in my hand (or maybe I just have so many reps with one) that I can’t really seem to fail to deactivate the safety, because even in a rush, I get an acceptable grip. I’ve never limpwristed a 1911 that I can recall.

To be honest, I’m not sure how one fails to deactivate the grip safety if they can deactivate the thumb safety. I know people do it, but the physics don’t work for my hand to result in a bad grip if I can work the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I’ve never had an issue deactivating the grip safety on a 1911. But I wouldn’t be heart broken if all of mine were pinned or replaced with fixed beavertail inserts. The 1911 fits so well in my hand (or maybe I just have so many reps with one) that I can’t really seem to fail to deactivate the safety, because even in a rush, I get an acceptable grip. I’ve never limpwristed a 1911 that I can recall.

To be honest, I’m not sure how one fails to deactivate the grip safety if they can deactivate the thumb safety. I know people do it, but the physics don’t work for my hand to result in a bad grip if I can work the thumb safety.
    Sometimes a really, really, really high grip i put to much pressure on the wrong side of the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's one needs pinned.

Anyone else notice that Titus writes with his left hand, but gats about town with his right and the TLE-II (or Sig) on the series? Sorta weird. Maybe Pincus forgot to tell him that ambi safeties are a thing, when they were working reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I can't imagine but don't doubt you... But I'd be better off just staying home and stabbing the web of my hand repeatedly with a screwdriver.
    Get this: I can also shoot my PPk without slide bite. Of course, everything else about shooting that gun pretty much sucks, so I typically don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Anyone else notice that Titus writes with his left hand, but gats about town with his right and the TLE-II (or Sig) on the series? Sorta weird.

I'm left handed but shoot pistols and long guns right handed, so maybe there's at least two of us.

Get this: I can also shoot my PPk without slide bite. Of course, everything else about shooting that gun pretty much sucks, so I typically don’t.
    I think maybe I found a picture of your hand...

[emoji14]

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sometimes a really, really, really high grip i put to much pressure on the wrong side of the lever.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^!!!

I’ve always said that, for much as it’s hated, the XD grip safety design is superior to the 1911s. Note, I only said “grip safety” and “design”. The XD is more of a “lever”, whereas the 1911 a toggle. How it’s implemented (can’t rack the slide), is not.

I’ve never heard of the split style 1911 mod posted earlier in this thread is very clever.

Anyone else notice that Titus writes with his left hand, but gats about town with his right and the TLE-II (or Sig) on the series? Sorta weird.
    Not at all. Probably more common than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm left handed but shoot pistols and long guns right handed, so maybe there's at least two of us.
    Add me to that list. I write left handed and shoot right handed. After many years of shooting, when I got into three gun I forced myself to switch to shoot long guns left handed due to eye dominance. I still shoot handguns right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Exactly what i was saying in my earlier post.

Sounds like GJM was just gripping new STI incorrectly and someone should go show him to run a pistol instead of seeking “hardware solutions for software problems”

User Tag List