Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Watching Forgotten Weapons' latest videos on the path to the 1911, I found myself wondering " why do all duty sized 1911ish guns still have grip safeties?" JMB didn't think it was needed.

Admittedly I don't run a 1911 myself, but no one seems to think they are a needed feature. Detonics released full size guns without them in the 70s-80s. Other 1911ish guns without grip safeties usually had other large cosmetic differences from a base 1911.

No dog in this fight at all. Just curious to see the opinion of the hive mind.

My theory: pure inertia. It is more important that guns stick to everything about the design of the original than provide innovation. Folks in the market for a 1911 want all the features of the original.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It doesn't seem to get in the way of performance.

Needed or not, are you willing to put your and your family's entire financial future on the line by being the one guy who decided that a fundamental safety feature of a 108-year-old design was no longer necessary in today's litigious society? It doesn't matter whether it is or not, you can still easily lose everything by putting your head up and being the mole that gets whacked.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interesting that Wilson Combat discarded it for the EDC X9 series though...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It doesn't seem to get in the way of performance.

Needed or not, are you willing to put your and your family's entire financial future on the line by being the one guy who decided that a fundamental safety feature of a 108-year-old design was no longer necessary in today's litigious society? It doesn't matter whether it is or not, you can still easily lose everything by putting your head up and being the mole that gets whacked.
    Depends. If the grip safety doesn’t get depressed enough to disable it, your pistol won’t fire.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Probably because people don't know the history and they think that the Prophet JMB came up with the grip safety and to do away with it would be blasphemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I'd be perfectly OK with a grip-safety-less 1911, as I haven't done a cavalry charge into enemy contact in a few years. :-)

I think this would be a natural evolutionary step for a company like STI - create a polymer grip module with all the goodness of a nice beavertail, but none of the moving parts. Of course, you'd have to develop proprietary springs, etc, but that should be fairly simple, I'd think.

Horses and motorcycles. Need a lanyard, of course.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    If it does not have a grip safety is it a 1911? New CZ "1911ish" single action pistol does not have a grip safety.

It is hardly a big hurdle to either have it pinned, or to cut off the arm on the grip safety to deactivate it.

User Tag List