Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sounds like GJM was just gripping new STI incorrectly and someone should go show him to run a pistol instead of seeking “hardware solutions for software problems”
    There's a reason you won't find a intact grip safety at a USPSA match, and it's not because the GM level shooters don't know how to grip a handgun.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    There's a reason you won't find a intact grip safety at a USPSA match, and it's not because the GM level shooters don't know how to grip a handgun.
    Concur

I like how no one suggests adding a grip safety to an SAO CZ75, converted p07/09 or any of the other cocked striker guns.....(in fact we shit on the xd version for being pointless and fragile)

But one mentions cavalry era parts on a new gun in 2020 and everyone gets all “well I’ve never had a problem with them “

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    1911s have grip safeties. Is it really a 1911 without a grip safety?

Might as well call it a Colt 1905 or something. Or maybe a Ballester-Molina.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I think this is probably the "real" answer.

Even Jeff Cooper advocated deactivating it, but it's not a 1911 without it.

Colt should come out with a 1905A1 or 1907A1 model and market it as JMBs true vision.

Interesting responses here. I am usually not thinking about the grip safety while shooting most pistols with them. They always seem to engage fine for me. I have medium/large hands, and the G20/G21 fits me better than a G17 with the largest beavertail backstrap. I would theorize that most grip safeties have been designed for larger hands, but the posts indicating that competition shooters disable them whenever possible probably casts doubt on that theory.

If any "1911ish" gun came to be seen as the one true successor to the 1911A1, I think grip safeties would fade away. But I doubt 1911 fans are ever going to coalesce around one newish design.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Interesting that Wilson Combat discarded it for the EDC X9 series though...
    I know I’m in the minority, but I prefer the grip safety. It’s one of the reasons I stopped looking at the X9s...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Concur

I like how no one suggests adding a grip safety to an SAO CZ75, converted p07/09 or any of the other cocked striker guns.....(in fact we shit on the xd version for being pointless and fragile)

But one mentions cavalry era parts on a new gun in 2020 and everyone gets all “well I’ve never had a problem with them “
    It's funny how a feature that we can't get rid of from the design that is still the standard by which combat semiautos are judged against is a complete dealbreaker on new designs.

Has any gun design with a grip safety besides the 1911 achieved "gold standard" status with serious pistol shooters? None come to mind for me.

(I like my father's XD, but it seems he got "one of the good ones.")
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I know I’m in the minority, but I prefer the grip safety. It’s one of the reasons I stopped looking at the X9s...
    What do you like about it?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

While I'm a 1911 user, I'm not a big 1911 purist.

The 1911 grip safety fulfills the same function as the trigger tab on striker fired guns.
    Last edited by JTQ; 04-20-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    What do you like about it?
    Second layer of safety that is transparent to me as a user. Hey, I’m a risk manager...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I think this is probably the "real" answer.

Even Jeff Cooper advocated deactivating it, but it's not a 1911 without it.

Colt should come out with a 1905A1 or 1907A1 model and market it as JMBs true vision.

Interesting responses here. I am usually not thinking about the grip safety while shooting most pistols with them. They always seem to engage fine for me. I have medium/large hands, and the G20/G21 fits me better than a G17 with the largest beavertail backstrap. I would theorize that most grip safeties have been designed for larger hands, but the posts indicating that competition shooters disable them whenever possible probably casts doubt on that theory.

If any "1911ish" gun came to be seen as the one true successor to the 1911A1, I think grip safeties would fade away. But I doubt 1911 fans are ever going to coalesce around one newish design.
    Some info on the early prototypes:

https://cylinder-slide.com/1910hammerless

And one for sale if you have extra deep pockets:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/Pocket_Model

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I prefer the GS, and the Series 80 configuration too, especially if its going to be carried AIWB

User Tag List