Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Never saw that before, reminds me a lot of those Lionhart trigger mechanisms.
    For some reason I associate the Safety Fast Shooting system with the BHP, but there are 1911 kits too at C&S. Here's an article on the 1911 version.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I seem to have more trouble depressing the Ed Brown Grip Safety than other grip safeties like the Wilson. The slightly higher grip I'm able to get with the Ed Brown seems to lead to into putting less pressure on the lower tab of the grip safety. Maybe it's the shape of my hand. Anyone else notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I seem to have more trouble depressing the Ed Brown Grip Safety than other grip safeties like the Wilson. The slightly higher grip I'm able to get with the Ed Brown seems to lead to into putting less pressure on the lower tab of the grip safety. Maybe it's the shape of my hand. Anyone else notice this?
    Wilson’s safety does that to me. Slim grips fix it 100%.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Had an Ed Brown a while ago, and its safety gave me grief.

Have two WC's, one i had built, and specifically told them I had safety issues. It works well, not 100% though. The other was an in stock gun, and its safety really gives me trouble.

On the other hand, I have a Colt Special Combat Government 38 Sup, and its safety has worked perfectly. Never had a single issue with it, and it has no bumps or such.

It's funny sometimes the subtleties that make a big dif on grip safeties in terms of getting it deactivated or not.

Are you running the EB thumb safety too? Different thumb/grip safety combos feel drastically different. The EB grip safety rides very high into the frame and the resulting grip is the highest in the industry, I think

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Are you running the EB thumb safety too? Different thumb/grip safety combos feel drastically different. The EB grip safety rides very high into the frame and the resulting grip is the highest in the industry, I think
    That makes sense. One of my 1911s has a EB grip safety and it allows a rather high grip.

That said, I've never had problems depressing it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Yes that was the thumb safety installed on one of the two 1911s' I have with the Ed Brown Grips Safety. I do understand why some people have their grip safety pined. I have thought about trying the Wilson low lever thumb safety that I assumed was inspired by the Gunsite version. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Thumb-S...ctinfo/6SLLBP/

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Wilson’s safety does that to me. Slim grips fix it 100%.
    Same here. I glued a tab on the CQB's to increase it's profile. Aggravating on such a nice pistol but I have not found a higher profile option on the WC site. And other people working on your WC has a warranty downside apparently.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I often tune the grip safeties on my Colts to make sure I don't have problems disengaging them. Getting it just right can be a bit dicey as it's easy to remove too much material and ruin the part, but I've gotten pretty good at it with practice (and patience).

User Tag List