Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do 1911 style guns still have grip safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My problem with 1911s is that when I grip them, all I'm really getting solid pressure on is the front and back straps. Grip safeties aren't my issue.

It's almost like people come in all different shapes and sizes.
    This is, of course, true. My hands actually work well with a traditional mil-spec GS and spur hammer. One less thing to worry about, I suppose.

Form and function without drama. Totally unavailable, unless you have an access to my safe. For me, the junk carrier, this is a better option than disabled GS. Mebbe Wilson needs to talk to @Ned Christiansen about a license or something.

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From recollection, USPSA allows a pinned grip safety in Open and Limited, but it must be working in Single Stack.
    Perfectly fine in SS to deactivate it.

8.1.2.6When applicable, the grip safety may be disabled provided that the primary safety as described in 8.1.2.5is operable. Production and Carry Optics division handguns are explicitly excluded from this rule (See Appendices D4and D7, item 22.1).

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is, of course, true. My hands actually work well with a traditional mil-spec GS and spur hammer. One less thing to worry about, I suppose.
    I can't imagine but don't doubt you... But I'd be better off just staying home and stabbing the web of my hand repeatedly with a screwdriver.

1911s have grip safeties. Is it really a 1911 without a grip safety?

Might as well call it a Colt 1905 or something. Or maybe a Ballester-Molina.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Form and function without drama. Totally unavailable, unless you have an access to my safe. For me, the junk carrier, this is a better option than disabled GS. Mebbe Wilson needs to talk to @Ned Christiansen about a license or something.

How about some more pics and description in the 1911 pic thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    How about some more pics and description in the 1911 pic thread?
    OK, done.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From recollection, USPSA allows a pinned grip safety in Open and Limited, but it must be working in Single Stack.
    Nope, it can be pinned. The 1911 I just had made is pinned, my gunsmith asked if I wanted it to function and I told him I didn’t care as I’ve never had an issue with it, he pinned it.

ETA: Looks like someone else already answered this...here is a pic of my gun to make up for it.Name:  C369B888-D9A2-49B1-9407-BE607533B935.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  69.5 KB

I've carried, built and used 1911s since the early 90s. I have had a few that needed work on the GS but once it was tuned I never had a issue. My though is that if it's tuned right its a non-issue. Unfortunately building 1911s is an art form and not many know how to build them right.

Quote Originally Posted by AGR416 View Post
    It is hardly a big hurdle to either have it pinned, or to cut off the arm on the grip safety to deactivate it.
    Jeff Cooper used to advocate pinning.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List