Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P2000 Milling for Red Dot

P2000 Milling for Red Dot

I'm considering having a P2000 milled for a RMR. L and M Precision Gunworks does it: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.c...e/#slide-model

I see that APO doesn't advertise milling for the P2000. Neither does Precision Machine.

Is there anyone else I should look at? And are there any unique issues with milling the P2000 that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm considering having a P2000 milled for a RMR. L and M Precision Gunworks does it: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.c...e/#slide-model

I see that APO doesn't advertise milling for the P2000. Neither does Precision Machine.

Is there anyone else I should look at? And are there any unique issues with milling the P2000 that I should be aware of? Thanks.
    As part of my bromance with the P2000, I have also considered an optic installation. However, I understand the installation with an RMR/Acro sized optic to be orders of magnitude harder than with a striker like the VP9. Apparently the plates need to actively retain some springs and/or pins. I have wondered about a minimally intrusive install with a RMS Shield, but that seems an optic below the durability of the P2000.

I consider Default to be our forum expert on this as he modified several P30 pistols for an optic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As part of my bromance with the P2000, I have also considered an optic installation. However, I understand the installation with an RMR/Acro sized optic to be orders of magnitude harder than with a striker like the VP9. Apparently the plates need to actively retain some springs and/or pins.

I consider Default to be our forum expert on this as he modified several P30 pistols for an optic.
    Thanks GJM, good point about the pins and/or springs. I notice there's two roll pins that penetrate the top of the P2000 slide. I've never disassembled the slide, but they appear to secure the firing pin and extractor. Presumably these would need to be shortened and then capped by the base of the optic.

I'm interested to hear about Default's experience. Or anyone else who's tried to mount a dot on a P series or USP.

Contact L&M Precision. Google found some dude on HKPro who got Mark to mount an RMR for him, so it appears possible.
    David S.

I thing BUIS are also more difficult with an optic on a P series — they look BIG.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I'm probably not the best person to ask, simply because I have zero experience with any other folks and other platforms, so the best I can say is that I've not had any issues outside of a slightly loose rear sight dovetail on one of my ACRO guns (would slowly drift under recoil, remedied with some Loctite 271). Other than that, I abused it quite a bit over the years when I had RMRs on them, and never had an issue that wasn't due to my own error (used an RMR screw that was too long to mount, and deformed the adapter plate, which Mark fixed right up for me); never lost zero, never had the RMRs go out (Type 1s, used the BattleWerx anti-flicker plate about halfway through their lives). Sight picture on the ACROs give using Dawson Precision fiber suppressor fronts and some Ameriglo (I think) Glock suppressor rear puts it at about 1/4th co-witness, so the front sight will poke up to about 1/3rd up the sight picture when centering the dot in the ACRO. Not the cleanest of sight pictures, but not bad either (seen my friend with a DPP on a P320 with DPP height front sights, shit was pretty bad there).

I will say that Mark has always been a pleasure to work with, with excellent comms via email, something that seems to be a rarity in the gun industry.
    The adapter plates do hold in roll pins and detents, hence the need for them rather than direct mounts. AFAIK, the P2000 and P30 will be quite similar mechanically behind the firing pin, so anyone that can mill for a P30 can probably mill for a P2000, but as you noted, folks willing to take on hammer-fired guns are very rare. IIRC, Mark does have to shorten the roll pins, which will be visible under the optic, IIRC. Don't think I have any pictures of what it looks like under the RMR, but you could always ask Mark.

On BUIS, for my RMRs, I ran Dawson tritum fronts that were 0.330" tall, so not terrible, nothing as bad as what people are using to use DPP integral rear sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The adapter plates do hold in roll pins and detents, hence the need for them rather than direct mounts. AFAIK, the P2000 and P30 will be quite similar mechanically behind the firing pin, so anyone that can mill for a P30 can probably mill for a P2000, but as you noted, folks willing to take on hammer-fired guns are very rare. IIRC, Mark does have to shorten the roll pins, which will be visible under the optic, IIRC. Don't think I have any pictures of what it looks like under the RMR, but you could always ask Mark.

On BUIS, for my RMRs, I ran Dawson tritum fronts that were 0.330" tall, so not terrible, nothing as bad as what people are using to use DPP integral rear sights.
    Thanks Default. Good info.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have wondered about a minimally intrusive install with a RMS Shield, but that seems an optic below the durability of the P2000.
    Would you consider the 407k/507k more durable?

I recently posted in a similar thread about my experience with mounting an RMR on an HK45C, with Mark (L and M) doing the work.

The work was flawless, but i am not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze as the gun became very tall, relatively speaking.

Name:  9E523C6E-73AF-47F2-B437-7AE1680EB34D.jpg
Views: 4097
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  71C03AD0-90CC-4D9E-8965-4F68E328C946.jpg
Views: 7296
Size:  78.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    I recently posted in a similar thread about my experience with mounting an RMR on an HK45C, with Mark (L and M) doing the work.

The work was flawless, but i am not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze as the gun became very tall, relatively speaking.

Name:  71C03AD0-90CC-4D9E-8965-4F68E328C946.jpg
Views: 7296
Size:  78.1 KB
    It looks great, Maca. Is the gun just too big now?

User Tag List