Thread: Week 368: Sights Meet Trigger 1

Week 368: Sights Meet Trigger 1

Week 368: Sights Meet Trigger 1

Results may be posted until May 17th, 2020.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Target: 1" square, 2" circle, 3x5" rectangle, 8.5x11" rectangle (the paper itself) - download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...03/3-two-1.pdf
    Range: 5 yards
    Rounds: 0

This is one of several drills intended to work on shot calling, sight tracking, and trigger manipulation in dry fire. In this drill we're going to be doing those things while addressing one target at a time.

At bare minimum, verify gun is unloaded, have no live ammo anywhere in the dry practice area, and keep muzzle in a safe direction. But there is more you can do to ensure safety in dry practice. Please also read Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure following the drill description.

Drill procedure: Start aimed at one of the four targets (either 1" square, 2" circle, 3x5" rectangle, or 8.5x11" rectangle - the paper itself.) Press the trigger and dry fire the gun. Now, continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, use your support hand to cycle the slide enough that the striker is reset or hammer is recocked. Resume your two-handed grip and tilt the muzzle up a little, simulating muzzle flip in recoil. All that was preparation for what we are actually drilling, which is the next part: simultaneously let the trigger forward allowing it to reset as you drive the front sight back to the target spot. When you see sufficient alignment in the sight picture, press the trigger well enough for the target. Repeat, varying the target between the four available.

That's how it is going to work with striker fired, single action, and DA/SA guns (this drill addresses shots after the first one, so even a DA/SA gun is essentially going to function as SAO for purposes of the drill.) With a true DAO, you can skip the part where you break grip and cycle the slide to get the mechanism ready to reset.

Driving the gun out of simulated recoil is going to be somewhat different from driving the gun out of real recoil and won't translate perfectly. You will also be interrupting your grip a lot, so make sure you reacquire your real grip on the gun each time. Focus on resetting the trigger while driving the front sight back into sufficient alignment with the target and pressing the trigger carefully enough as soon as you would hit.

Do the drill for a period of time you choose, rather than for a specific number of repetitions.

Please report when you've completed the drill, what gun you used, how much time you spent on the drill, and anything you noticed.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure (the closer you follow this, the fewer opportunities you will have to ND)

Principles:

Allow no distractions – focus exclusively on the task at hand

Keep muzzle in a safe direction

Use correct trigger finger discipline

Verify no live ammo in gun, on person, or in the dry practice area

Use dedicated dry practice targets that are put away until you consciously choose to begin dry practice, and taken down when you consciously end dry practice

Use dedicated dry practice magazines and dummy rounds/inert training cartridges that stay in the dry practice area (if you use any magazine or cartridges)

Procedure:

Unload gun in a location other than the dry practice area

Leave live ammo, and magazines with live ammo, completely outside the dry practice area

Enter the dry practice area

Verify gun is unloaded, that any magazines do not contain live ammo, and that any cartridges present are inert/dummy cartridges

Consciously choose to begin dry practice

Put up dry practice targets

Do your dry practice

Take down dry practice targets and put them away

Consciously choose to end dry practice

Exit the dry practice area and do something unrelated for a few minutes

Return gun to location and condition of your choosing
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I did about 5 minutes each with the PX4CC and LCR. The main things I noticed were the huge difference between the 3x5 Carr and the 2” circle, and the initial tendency to short stroke the LCR trigger. This is actually a very helpful drill for solving that common problem.

5 minutes Glock G45 with Dawson fiber sights. Performed at 3 yards to 1” square.

I noticed that I’ll mess up the order of the drill if I don’t go slow and think about it. I reset the trigger as I move the muzzle up instead of while I recover the “recoil”.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List