Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Episode one of my rural life: The good news and bad news of live trapping.

Episode one of my rural life: The good news and bad news of live trapping.

Good news: I finally live trapped that skunk that has been burrowing under my Morton building.
    Bad news: I finally live trapped that skunk that has been burrowing under my Morton building. And he is freaking huuuuge. And pissed! Hoping the "magazine" is finally empty in the morning, when I assist him to the next plane of existence.
    Oh, and I can't find my .22 ammo, anywhere. I have been looking for the last 4 hours, can't find a single round. FML.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Good news: I finally live trapped that skunk that has been burrowing under my Morton building.
    Bad news: I finally live trapped that skunk that has been burrowing under my Morton building. And he is freaking huuuuge. And pissed! Hoping the "magazine" is finally empty in the morning, when I assist him to the next plane of existence.
    Oh, and I can't find my .22 ammo, anywhere. I have been looking for the last 4 hours, can't find a single round. FML.
    Sounds like a 9mm problem...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Sounds like a 9mm problem...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I was hoping for the old slide the barrel of the .22 rifle through the chicken wire of the trap, eliminates me from shooting the wire.

Wait, I think this one is my wife's turn anyhow. I'm gonna try and sell that idea in the AM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Ive got a dog that loves to kill coons and skunks for some reason. The first time she killed a skunk she came straight into the house after. Jiminy crickets it take forever to get that smell out of the house and even longer on a dog. None of the recipes, store bought or home made works.
    I came home from work one morning and my wife was seriously upset and traumatized. Apparently a coon getting killed by a dog sounds like a baby screaming.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

On night after finishing my checks at work (I work nights as a security guard on a gubment storage depot) I stopped between some of the unused warehouses in my area to relieve myself. It's pitch black outside and I'm right in the middle of taking care of buisness when this cain link gate over a roll up warehouse door suddenly starts ratteling about 10 feet away. I'm sure most of you can imagine how unsetteling that would be. I get done and flip on the alley light on the truck and see a very agitated skunk trapped between the gate and the door. I wished him the best of luck with his situation and went back to patrolling.

If I get mauled by a badger or bobcat at least that's a cool story. There's no cool way to get sprayed by a skunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Wait, I think this one is my wife's turn anyhow. I'm gonna try and sell that idea in the AM.
    I don't know your wife, but you might wind up envious of the skunk's fate.

In a word, your situation stinks.

Hope you can clear the air with the missus.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Years ago I rented a farm house in the middle of no where. A skunk got under the house and sprayed one night. My wife was six or seven months pregnant at the time. Talk about a terrible way to wake up. This happened twice by the way. Pretty sure I ended up burning some of our belongings.

I killed 10 skunks that first year. One with a shotgun as it rooted around in the yard. One via live trap and .22. The rest I snared with home made snares. The snares worked the best but it was easy to see where they were coming through the fence that surrounded the yard. Snares are risky because of the concern of catching something that isn’t a skunk. But after spray under the house incident number two I was all in in skunk asymmetric warfare.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

When we caught them in live traps, we’d walk out with an old sheet held up, toss it over the cage, and carry the critter somewhere it would be a little less miserable if he sprays. It’s nerve wracking carrying a live skunk a hundred yards with nothing but some threadbare cotton between you and nature’s version of Sabre Red.

Yes, our trap had a couple wires shot, but any other time I’d consider that a trick shot so just own it

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Years ago I rented a farm house in the middle of no where. A skunk got under the house and sprayed one night. My wife was six or seven months pregnant at the time. Talk about a terrible way to wake up. This happened twice by the way. Pretty sure I ended up burning some of our belongings.
    This happened once to me in high school, bastard sprayed right under my closet. I sat alone at lunch that day.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List