Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex J-Frame kit?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Apex J-Frame kit?

So i picked up a 442 airweight yesterday for a song (289) and have quickly grown to love the thing. it will serve for pocket carry when I simply can't do another gun.

The trigger however...leaves something to be desired. Obviously this is not an IDPA gun but I'd like to be able to sort of hit what i'm shooting at.

Does anyone have any experience with the Apex j frame duty/carry kit? how easy is it to install on your own? coming from glocks, I have been pretty babied... and don't want to get a "bag o gun" !

Apex kit is great! I just followed along to the installation video on youtube. I didn't need any special tools or anything. The time I installed the kit was also the first time I ever even opened up a revolver, much less changing out parts. It is very straightforward.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Apex kit is great! I just followed along to the installation video on youtube. I didn't need any special tools or anything. The time I installed the kit was also the first time I ever even opened up a revolver, much less changing out parts. It is very straightforward.
    You didn't need the "picklefork revolver tool"? What did you use to put that spring back?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    You didn't need the "picklefork revolver tool"? What did you use to put that spring back?
    i didn't use it. I used a very thin screwdriver and kind of just worked the spring back in.

i didn't use it. I used a very thin screwdriver and kind of just worked the spring back in.
    Same here.

Sounds familiar.

I also installed mine with the screwdriver. I suggest buying the tool if you can justify it. It'll save you a little bit of headache.

The reset on mine was a bit sticky at first, also, but I installed it before I even shot the gun (second 442 for me). After some good dry fire and a couple of range trips, it was good to go. Highly recommended.

The big hole is a 5-shot group at 7 yards. Don't let people tell you a J-frame isn't an accurate gun. I never could get a group quite that tight with the stock trigger, FWIW.

I installed one in a 642 at the dinner table, it took about an hour. That included digging out the videos on Youtube, watching them on the laptop whilst replacing the parts. I also used a nice Japanese water stone to polish some of the internals while I was in there, as Scott Folk suggests.

For $25, it's a very easy decision to make. The pull was much, much better. I've carried a 642 for a long dang time, and consider this a very wise investment.

Does anyone have before and after pull weights?
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List