Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GLOCK 48 with Shield Arms 15 Round Mags Ongoing Testing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaSoldier View Post
    Are you using Glock magazine extra power springs or is Shield Arms selling specific extra power springs?
    I have been using Wolff’s Glock 19 +10% springs in my Shield mags with my G43X. Flawless function through 400+ rounds loaded to 15+1.

So today was my go / no go call based on this morning's tests.

I'm using magazine #3 and #4 (focusing more on #3 as that is going to be my primary). I'm choosing these two as these have no drop free issues. Both have the Shield Arms +10% spring installed in them.

16 rounds of 147 HST rapid fire

16 rounds of 147 HST SHO, loose grip

16 rounds 147 HST WHO, loose grip

16 rounds 147 HST SHO, NO grip.

No Grip: Pinky and ring finger not used. Trigger finger used of work the trigger. Thumb and middle finger held at 90 degree to balance the gun. No contact on left side of gun. While this might seem extreme, for me a defense gun needs to work with little to no grip, or bad grip.

Afterwards, I did 100 rounds of some old reloads I had using Solo 1250 and (I think) 124g bullets (or maybe 115, I could pull one and check if anyone is curious).

Finished up on 50 rounds of my traditional 147 reloads. Today's total was 64 HSTs and 150 reloads for 214. Added to the previous 1092, that makes 1,306 rounds through my G48 using Shield Arms 15 rounds magazines. The only issue was with that one round of Gold Dot 124 +P. I have the same opinion of the 48 as I do with the 43. With the reduced slide mass, I'd avoid +P loadings. Just my opinion, of course.

Also should be noted, while I decided against the full 2K challenge, the gun was only cleaned on oiled on one occasion during the 1,300+ testing. IIRC, that was after 820 (I'll have to go back and read my own posts).

If it isn't obvious, this combination has passed, in my mind, and I'll be fully comfortable carrying my G48 with 15+1 using magazine #3, and 15 in #4 as a spare mag (on the few occasions I do carry a spare mag - yes I know all the reasons I should).

PS: My slight bias to #3 over #4 is that #4 is the mag that the Gold Dot choked with. Even though I'm still of the opinion the +P slide velocity was the cause, rather than magazine related, it'll still give #3 the edge since it's record was flawless.

How tough is it to seat a fully loaded mag on a closed slide? I usually rock a fully loaded spare mag, but from what I've heard these Shield mags are a little tough to fully load, so I'm wondering if it's advisable to download a spare by 1.

I had some hesitation on these mags but they look like they are good to go. I've got 4 now and they have a myriad of different types of carry ammo, FMJ and reloads. Mine are running very well. I was having a weird issue at first but everything seems to have worked itself out. It is something to be able to carry 15 +1 in a the slim G43X or G48. It's awesome to say the vary least. @Bucky thanks for starting a long term thread on these. It will be great to see how they hold up with others and for other members to be able to report their experiences as well.

Thanks very much for the research, I ordered an additional 5 mags today, along with the extra-oomph springs.

If they would make a 20-round mag for a Glock 19, I'd probably buy 50 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

If they would make a 20-round mag for a Glock 19, I'd probably buy 50 of them.
    G19 mags are already double stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    How tough is it to seat a fully loaded mag on a closed slide? I usually rock a fully loaded spare mag, but from what I've heard these Shield mags are a little tough to fully load, so I'm wondering if it's advisable to download a spare by 1.
    I don’t find seating to be much of an issue, even with closed slide with 15 in the mag. Not any noticably more than say a G19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Bucky thanks for starting a long term thread on these. It will be great to see how they hold up with others and for other members to be able to report their experiences as well.
    Thanks very much for the research...
    You’re welcome. Happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    G19 mags are already double stack.
    Yes, the five Glock 19's I own (two Gen2, one Gen3, one Gen4 and one Gen5) all take double-stack magazines. All the 40+ G19 mags I own have a polymer casing around a metal liner, except for some of the oldest ones, which are not metal lined.

Having carried Glock 19's for over 25 years, I was already familiar with that.

But, if one was able to redesign a Glock 19 magazine in order to squeeze more rounds into it by eliminating the polymer cover for the mag, could one make it hold close to 20 rounds, and still fit flush with the grip?

That was my point. Have a good evening.

Yes, the five Glock 19's I own (two Gen2, one Gen3, one Gen4 and one Gen5) all take double-stack magazines. All the 40+ G19 mags I own have a polymer casing around a metal liner, except for some of the oldest ones, which are not metal lined.

Having carried Glock 19's for over 25 years, I was already familiar with that.

But, if one was able to redesign a Glock 19 magazine in order to squeeze more rounds into it by eliminating the polymer cover for the mag, could one make it hold close to 20 rounds, and still fit flush with the grip?

That was my point. Have a good evening.
    All shield arms did was squeeze a double stack mag into a hole where a 1.5 stack mag use to sit.

What your're asking for is not possible.

User Tag List