Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hill people vs spiritus fanny pack?

I run in downtown Seattle with a HPG runners kit and I feel it definitely stands out. There is a definite price to pay for the ergonomics and comfort in terms of "conceal-ability". If you are even little versed in CCW then it's obvious whats in my chest pouch. Sometimes I do 4-5am runs and do not care about being absolutely covert due to the majority of street people wondering around. I do wish they made the ripstop versions as a regular option and added loop to the back of the large compartment.

For day hikes I have a kit bag married to the tarahumara bag and feel it doesn't draw too much attention in the wilderness. I am revising that setup and probably sell that and run a hip pack with a regular daypack as I am not running through the wilderness so bounce is less of an issue and will blend in with other hikers better.

Site Supporter
    I've been considering a kit bag for use on day hikes. Interestingly, I was in a local convenience store this week when an urban youth entered wearing a very similar bag. It caught my attention and I asked him about it as both I wanted to hear what he said and also eyeball it a bit more to see if I could discern whether it had access to the main compartment. I asked if he wore it cycling knowing that was unlikely but thinking he may wear it on a motorcycle. I couldn't note any clues to indicate that he was rither carrying a weapon in it nor that it was intended for such. He commented he used it like a fanny pack to carry his stuff. I didn't catch the brand but it was the first time I'd seen a similar design. Are these more common than I realize and if so what is there intended use?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I've been considering a kit bag for use on day hikes. Interestingly, I was in a local convenience store this week when an urban youth entered wearing a very similar bag. It caught my attention and I asked him about it as both I wanted to hear what he said and also eyeball it a bit more to see if I could discern whether it had access to the main compartment. I asked if he wore it cycling knowing that was unlikely but thinking he may wear it on a motorcycle. I couldn't note any clues to indicate that he was rither carrying a weapon in it nor that it was intended for such. He commented he used it like a fanny pack to carry his stuff. I didn't catch the brand but it was the first time I'd seen a similar design. Are these more common than I realize and if so what is there intended use?
    There have been high end fashion designers using the style and the people using it as high fashion have no concept of the design origins. https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/me...&q=chest%20bag

Site Supporter
    Since I have largely switched from running to bicycling for cardio, I have noticed that fanny packs seem to wear out around the bottom edge, where they are in constant contact with my legs. I suspect a chest pack may be preferable for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MGWS View Post
    There have been high end fashion designers using the style and the people using it as high fashion have no concept of the design origins. https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/me...&q=chest%20bag
    Note: boring fashion stuff. Don't read if you don't care.

Not necessarily. Men's fashion has always leaned heavily on military wear for inspiration, particularly in the US.

Like a lot of trends, it started over in Asia as an extension of the "tech-ninja" look, with a nod to a decade or two ago, when you saw urban/hip-hop youth wearing assault vests and jungle style LBE setups. It comes on the tail end of the resurgence of the butt/waist pack, which is often worn thrown over one shoulder and across the back or chest. From there, the next logical step was an actual chest pack.

The Japanese, who often start these sorts of trends, pull heavily from the Milsim look from time to time. Also, American men's style, deprived of the aspiration to nobility/aristocracy that is part of European history, has always pulled heavily from from workwear and military uniforms. Very obvious if you look at trends in suiting vs. the British school, the resurgence of the keffiyeh/shemagh in the GWOT, cargo pants, jeans, etc.

Most people don't know the "original" purpose of an HPG style chest pack, but they saw Kanye West wearing one. Doesn't make it blend in more unless you fit the look otherwise.

I really like my original kit bag v2 for hiking. Very convenient and handy. I’ve used it for carrying binos and various other items. Buy one there worth it.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGWS View Post
    Was out for a long walk the other day and had 2 women complement me (in passing at distance) on my bright red "chest bag". WifeGBiv was with me so it's unlikely they were hitting on me. 😅
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Just ordered my wife a teal one.

Name:  20200627_092714.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  66.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I haven't used either product, but run a decent amount and have tried to carry in thr past. Now I just run with a knife.

Of those 2 id definitely go for the HPG bag due to the wider straps and thin pocket specifically made for carrying a gun.

I have the Pistol Wear bellyband type carrier. It works OK for small and slim guns, definitely not good with a Glock 19.

Ultimately I gave up on carrying a gun if I'm going for an actual run. I typically wear an Ultimate Direction utility belt for longer or more remote runs where I want to carry a phone and or other gear. You could probably carry a small 380 or j frame in one but I haven't tried. Its also not adjustable. Its very low profile, breathable, and generally awesome though. Its the only belt type accessory I've ever been able to run with and not feel like I was adjusting my cadence to manage bounce.
    Re the utility belt: What do you mean it’s not adjustable?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List