Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Carry of a CZ-75B

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Correct Carry of a CZ-75B

Figured I'd ask here since this pistol is so near and dear Todd's heart

For those of you who use, carry, or are around units that carry the CZ-75B (mostly you foreign types), or may have insight into CZ's original intent, what is the preferred mode of carry for this gun? Seeing as how it is unique in the sense that it is a DA/SA trigger, has a manual safety that will only engage in full cock, and has a "half cock" which is the point to which the decocker versions decock to, there appears to me to be at least 2 safe ways to carry this gun while loaded.

I run my 75B cocked & locked for IDPA if that helps any
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

I used to tote my 75 TDA style... in a Fobius....
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I used to tote my 75 TDA style... in a Fobius....
    Yeah...
    I used to pick my nose and eat my boogers, we all learn and grow

Why did you choose to lower the hammer to full "decock" instead of the "half cock" or "safety notch" in CZ speak?

I carry mine on half-cock. I would carry cocked and locked but my current duty holster doesn't allow it.

I don't really know why I carried it that way, maybe something I read in Ayoob somewhere? But, dude, I toted it in a Fobius paddle holster! I still had a "carry rotation", which included a PPK! I even bought a KelTec PF-9! I had no real clue what I was doing.

I shoot a CZ75 Shadow(same as 75B but with alloy frame and no firing pin block...yes legal...grandfathered-in).

I use a Blade-Tech OWB holster with no offset (holds closer to the body) for IDPA and it works great. I also own Comp-Tac holster for my Glock 34 and my Kimber 9mm Carry gun. For these guns I prefer OWB as IWB is just too uncomfortable for me due to their size. I just make sure I have adequate concealment garment. I like the Comp-Tac design because it can be easily inserted or removed. The Blade-Tech has belt loops and I have to undo my belt to remove it.

That being said, I also have a Minotaur M-Tac for my Kimber for better concealment and it is pretty comfortable and adjustable for cant and height. If I decided to carry the 75, I would get a Comp-Tac for it and use the Minotaur for IWB when necessary.

As to the original intent of the Cz75 carry: The Original Cz's were intended as police and military handguns and most police forces used leather european-style holsters with the snap-on straps or full snap-on flaps. That is not very practical for self-defense.

If you like the paddle-style, check out the Wild Bills Fusion Paddle http://nextholster.com/belt-holsters.html. On the same website you will see the Guardian IWB holster which I use when I carry my Kahr. It is an excellent IWB holster, but it doesn't have a way to keep the holster open for re-holstering, so just be aware of that. However, the clips can be used for IWB or OWB and can be easily moved for either operation. It is VERY comfortable to wear and that is why I like it.

In the summer I wear a T-shirt tucked-in with my Comp-Tac OWB holster and a short-sleeve button-up shirt with it unbuttoned (Or buttoned-up if necessary for wind/business, etc. ). In the winter I wear a collared shirt with a light jacket or winter coat and my OWB holster.

I don't think you can go wrong with any holster from Comp-Tac or nextholster.com.
    Good Luck, and enjoy your Cz and be safe and train a lot.
    CC

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with any holster from Comp-Tac or nextholster.com.
    Good Luck, and enjoy your Cz and be safe and train a lot.
    CC
    Thanks,

I'm mostly posing this question just for my own curiosity and in the event I ever had to advise a person who wanted to carry the CZ-75. Maybe some South Africans here would know how their police carry them as I understand it is pretty common in SA police holsters.

I picked up a CZ-75B several years ago to add to the "collection" as I consider it an interesting and historic firearm. I have put less than 500 rounds through it and that said, I have no intention on ever carrying it as I have other pistols I consider better suited for the task and that I want to stay with for standardization reasons. In the rare event this pistol heads to the range with me, it fits more than well enough in by Beretta Boarder Patrol pancake holster for any range work I might do with it.

Still, it's safety and trigger configuration gives on a few different ways to carry it. Cocked and locked makes perfect sense. I can understand wanting to lower the hammer to full decock, but I am of the opinion that it is an accident waiting to happen when you do this off the range. Apparently so did others which is why I understand the safety notch was developed - it still exposes you to the chance of an AD/DG, but is better than trying to go to full decock manually.

I agree that the design philosophy was probably more geared around the pre-modern age European tendency of carrying the gun with an empty chamber with the cocked and locked capability to satisfy the 1911 folks to a degree. If I were hell bent on carrying a CZ design for serious use, I'd be looking for a model with a mechanical decocker.

I think that it is notable that the Jericho (Israeli CZ75, aka Baby Desert Eagle when imported by Magnum Research) has a manual decocker that also acts as a safety (it completely disconnects the trigger).

The Israeli's seem to put a lot of thought into their guns, and the Jericho was (and I think still is) used as their standard police and military sidearm for a while. On the Jericho, you can carry hammer down in DA/SA, and I *think* you can carry in SA cocked and locked (I think you need to decock which sets it to "safe" and then recock), and I know you can carry hammer down AND on "safe" for the ultimate in AD/ND prevention short of amputating the trigger finger...

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I don't really know why I carried it that way, maybe something I read in Ayoob somewhere? But, dude, I toted it in a Fobius paddle holster! I still had a "carry rotation", which included a PPK! I even bought a KelTec PF-9! I had no real clue what I was doing.
    Dude, I still have copies of BOTH of Mashal/Sanow's books and used to alternate my SD rounds BlackTallon/Hydrashock/FMJ.

At some point along the way, I stopped listening to what the ex-CIA (could tell you but then....) Gun Store guy, former SEAL Gun Show guy, or the self proclaimed expert in my unit (who oddly enough always had an excuse de-joir of why they didn't qualify expert that day) told me all the cool kids were doing.

I feel your pain.....

User Tag List