Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From the Fudd Files: IWB for your Blackhawk

I like Barranti - he made a great OWB for my 5152. I do carry it when I’m in the north woods. Don’t tempt me with an IWB...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I don’t see anything wrong with carrying a single action revolver. I ordered a milt Sparks summer special ll back in December for my ruger 4 5/8 flattop. It should arrive soon. We can dress around our carry gun but often we end up carrying what works with our dress. If I’m okay with a J frame in my pocket I would certainly be ok with a 44 Special in my waistband. But I will be the first person to admit that it would not be my everyday carry.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Man...tis a good thing I don't own a Blackhawk anymore

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    That's never a good thing. You should fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

What kind of holster did McCloud use?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Through the rest of the course he did well, getting more center hits than most. It wasn't until the reload stage that he had any problem. It was a fire 2, reload, and fire 2 exercise. He was almost as fast as the guy with a J-frame S&W but, both of them were over the time limit, dropping the points for the late shots. If memory serves he got a 236 out of 250, which was 94%. Passing was 90% or better.
    If someone gets good hits through most of the course, then they can often eat some points on the reload stage and still pass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    What kind of holster did McCloud use?
    If I remember correctly, this was in the mid 1980s, he had a Roy Baker Pancake for his 4-3/4" SAA.

And you are right, he lost 10 points for the two late shots on the reload stage, but only dropped 4 additional points for the rest of the course. I remember a lot of this because I frankly didn't expect him to qualify and was impressed by how well he did. I don't remember as much about the second qualification because I had seen him do it already.

And keep in mind this was qualifying for off duty carry. His uniform duty weapon of choice was a Government Model 45, although I always suspected, had the department allowed it he might have carried his SAA in uniform. (smile)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    ...Last I heard he was still carrying his 44 WCF single action.

Dave

PS: In case any of you SAA fans protest that Colt didn't chamber the 2nd Gen SAA in 44 WCF, you are correct. This guy bought a 44 Special and had the cylinder re-chambered to 44 WCF (44-40) because he had a late production Winchester 92 in that chambering.
    There's a man knows how to party. Also going to show this IWB to a buddy who has a habit of dropping a 44 Special SA revolver in his jacket pocket or waistband on his runs to the Stop-N-Rob. Might also have to measure the barrel on my old model Vaquero when I finish rebuilding it. Bit of money for a non carry gun on my end but neat enough I may cave.

Site Supporter
    My Milt Sparks summer special for my flattop Blackhawk arrived. Name:  40D91D91-3DA0-41DA-839F-3EA8E1A8C40D.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  98.8 KB

That's real nice also.

I have had a Milt Sparks Summer Special for an SAA, for a number of years, though I rarely carry IWB behind the hip, due to the discomfort factor, and, was mandated by my employer, a PD, to only carry handguns with which I had qual’ed, for the record. SA revolvers were disallowed. I can use this rig, for short periods of time, before it starts bothering me, and, sometimes, I am in the mood.

I recently took delivery of a pre-owned Barranti IWB, as shown in the original post. Time will tell whether I start totin’ an SA sixgun with any regularity. Retirement means carrying what I choose, nowadays. If I like the Barranti, enough, I will order the lefty version.

I see nothing wrong with a single-action sixgun for personal-defensive carry. I reckon that it can beat a J-Snub, especially in the hands of a lefty, in a sustained-fire situation, as topping-up, using the loading gate, while maintaining a firing grip with the left hand, is practicable. (A right-hander can maintain a firing grip, while reloading a J-Snub.) As I see it, neither an SA sixgun nor a J-Snub is an ideal gunfightin’ tool, as each has limitations.

The “solution” is obvious: Tote a J, and an SAA.

I was a big-city PD patrolman for 33+ years, and do not see an SA sixgun as a best police duty handgun, though I only needed to fire one shot, during my career, so, would have been sufficiently-served by an SA sixgun.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Well.... about fifteen years ago, I'd go for a walk in an area that had an issue with feral dogs. I didn't exactly have a lot of guns, but I did have an Italian SAA clone (4-5/8th in barrel in Gawd's own caliber) and a holster that had IWB loops.

I never had to use it, but it was comforting.

I need to dig up the holster and Karma it.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-27-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List