Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From the Fudd Files: IWB for your Blackhawk

From the Fudd Files: IWB for your Blackhawk

So long as I am trying to boost my COVID content, I may as well throw a Q&D for this holster up here. I got this kit, because, more than one Flattop medium-frame BH in the safe that I can use it with. Clearly, it's not the sort of rig one would use every day (unless you're an extra playing an old guy on "Longmire"), but the craftsmanship is excellent--although the leather quality is more like 'acceptable.' This is from his "direct line," which is Barranti's term for items he tries to keep in stock. In the venerable "Nelson-esque" mould, this is his "Summer Classic," available in any model you want--so long as it's a Gov't 1911, a Commander, or a Colt SAA or Ruger sized to match on their medium frame. The upside of this limitation is, #1, if you don't own a 1911 and a BH you suck () and, #2, the wait time was nothing; it was in my mailbox in under a week from ordering, IIRC. Pretty cool if you have the idiosyncratic need to pack a hogleg IWB or even AIWB. I'll be figuring out how to elastic wrap a current-think foam wedge to the back for AIWB to lever the butt in. At any rate, link and pic:

https://barrantileather.com/shop/ols...summer-classic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm. Maybe I could justify this by saying it gave me a handy dandy quick on/off holster. Yeah, that's it. I want it for the convenience.

Years ago, I knew a Lieutenant who lived in John Wayne fantasy land. He carried a single-action off duty and would have been all over that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Years ago, I knew a Lieutenant who lived in John Wayne fantasy land. He carried a single-action off duty and would have been all over that.
    For a while, the town of Palouse, WA had a single cop. He carried a spyderco police model as his primary. I shit you not; I got pulled on the way through town once, and he came to the driver’s side doing the ‘spyder drop’ and asked for my DL and registration (early 90s, before proof of insurance) leaning on the window with the spyderco open in his hand.

The shooting community thought it was a bit eccentric, but he was actually a pretty cool guy to talk to. We got along well, since I was a grad of Eric Remmen’s "clipit" course, and liked spydercos.

Takes all kinds, as the saying goes.

Probably good it isnt available for the normal blackhawk cuz id want one

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Probably good it isnt available for the normal blackhawk cuz id want one
    Oh, you can get one for the larger frame—it just takes longer.

You’re welcome.

Site Supporter
    Man...tis a good thing I don't own a Blackhawk anymore

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    OOPS! Posted twice. The one below has a correction I tried to make to this one but messed up. (lol)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 04-18-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Had an older deputy at my department who channeled Wyatt and Bat. He wanted to carry his 2nd Gen Colt 44 WCF off duty. I had initiated an off duty weapon qualification and he approached me about qualifying. He said he shot his SAA way more than his Government 45 and I told him to try it and see what happened.

First stage was two rounds from concealment in 2 seconds. These weren't competitors, just cops who for the most part didn't practice. The cowboy actually beat a couple of the other shooters who showed up for that session. Through the rest of the course he did well, getting more center hits than most. It wasn't until the reload stage that he had any problem. It was a fire 2, reload, and fire 2 exercise. He was almost as fast as the guy with a J-frame S&W but, both of them were over the time limit, dropping the points for the late shots. If memory serves he got a 236 out of 250, which was 94%. Passing was 90% or better.

He qualified again the next year, then retired. Last I heard he was still carrying his 44 WCF single action.

Dave

PS: In case any of you SAA fans protest that Colt didn't chamber the 2nd Gen SAA in 44 WCF, you are correct. This guy bought a 44 Special and had the cylinder re-chambered to 44 WCF (44-40) because he had a late production Winchester 92 in that chambering.

Sweeeeeeeet.

User Tag List