Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 carbine Ruger new model Blackhawk

30 carbine Ruger new model Blackhawk

So behind door #1 is the above titled Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. Just looking at odd caliber handguns to expand the inventory......at least that is what I am telling myself.....haha.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has one or shot one. Opinions from the forum members? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!

Don't ask any "why" questions 'cause I've been trying to rationalize this whole 30 carbine thingy.

Fun guns, very loud with heavy concussion but no recoil to speak of. I had one several years ago but sold it to fund a .357 Maximum Super Blackhawk.

Site Supporter
    Interestingly enough, I was just talking about these today.

A buddy of mine has one. It has been awhile since I shot it last, but I remember it being significantly louder and with more muzzle flash/blast than most of the other revolvers. I'm guessing it likely had something to due with burn rate being optimized for the carbine's barrel length.

It's a hoot. I'd gladly own one as a range toy.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Fun guns, very loud with heavy concussion but no recoil to speak of.
    This. 2 cylinders from a covered shooting line were enough to get a headache started.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I shot one many years ago. A friend of mine was looking to purchase one and another was looking to unload one and brought it out for me to look at. I also remember it being very loud, but fun to shoot. It had a few issues and he didn't end up buying it.

Ironically I just found a box of 30 carbine ammo while straightening up today. I'm pretty sure I bought it when we were looking at that Blackhawk.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not really relevant, but some might find it amusing. I went to a shooting in progress in the mid-late 90s one time, that by the time we got to one crime scene, another was in progress a couple miles away. The second one involved what was later determined to be a cholo with an AMT pistol chambered in .30 carbine. Or maybe it was the first scene, I can't recall, it ended up being a busy night. Anyways..

Short version is that he shot another recreational pharmacist in the leg with the .30 carbine pistol, and it was the only time I can recall actually seeing a hole through an individuals leg (made by a handgun). He got nailed in his shin bone/calf. I could actually see the floor carpet. Right through the bone. That just should not seem possible. It was one of those WTF kind of things.

Lots of amusing parts to the story, including comments made by the senior city officer on scene who knew the guy. Apparently they had a history.

The city officer (I was only backup from a neighboring agency) told him to STFU and quit crying because whatever he did to get shot he no doubt deserved it.

To add insult to injury (literally) as I cleared the house, I discovered that he had been in the process of bagging up some powdery stuff for retail sale in a back room, and he lived in very close proximity to a school, so he was really fubar.

Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was just talking about these today.

A buddy of mine has one. It has been awhile since I shot it last, but I remember it being significantly louder and with more muzzle flash/blast than most of the other revolvers. I'm guessing it likely had something to due with burn rate being optimized for the carbine's barrel length.

It's a hoot. I'd gladly own one as a range toy.
    I'd say that's a good guess. Had a range toy AMT AutoMag III in .30 carbine. Deafening loud and flamethrower level muzzle flash. The range would go oddly silent and heads turn my way when I'd touch it off. A cartridge designed for 18" of maximized powder burn out of a 6.5" barrel is a something special.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This. 2 cylinders from a covered shooting line were enough to get a headache started.
    Have you shot a SCAR 17?

Thanks for all the replies! I’ve cooled my jets....

Back when I shot NRA Highpower Rifle Matches one of the other competitors had
    a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. He shot two deer with it one fall. One at
    about 90 yards and the other a bit over 100. Collected both without much fuss.

I always thought a .30 Carbine Blackhawk would be fun to have.
    Never "pulled the trigger" however.

User Tag List