Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Feedback on Target Designs

I don't really have any suggestions with regard to the targets, but I like them!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I like the addition of the two horizontal dashed lines. I think the top one is perfectly placed where the clavicles meet but the bottom line is a little too high. The base of the lungs would be about half way between the bottom of the A Zone and where you placed it. Otherwise, I think this is a great target. I love targets that have weapons in hand for any kind of qualification course of fire. I’m not a fan of shooting at a generic silhouette and prefer a visible indicator that this is your threat.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I like the addition of the two horizontal dashed lines. I think the top one is perfectly placed where the clavicles meet but the bottom line is a little too high. The base of the lungs would be about half way between the bottom of the A Zone and where you placed it. Otherwise, I think this is a great target. I love targets that have weapons in hand for any kind of qualification course of fire. I’m not a fan of shooting at a generic silhouette and prefer a visible indicator that this is your threat.
    Thank you for the kind words. Great minds think alike, when I finally sat down to tweak things I found that placing the horizontal dotted lines in 4"x6" box, it frames the aorta and heart. I think this makes for a really good accuracy standard to achieve outside of the lower standard of A zone hits. I've also cleaned up the alternate aiming dots and started work on a Long Distance target. I haven't found any other way to make it visible at 300 yards other than making a dark background, but I've found that 50% gray is easier on toner than black and stands out enough.
    I have future plans of making a hand holding other objects to print out and overlay for shoot/no shoot decisions. I'm also putting final touches on a version with line drawing facial and body features instead of target zones, intended as a harder version of the target that doesn't tell you where to shoot.
    Name:  2020-04-19 23_09_13-_Tactical Silhouette (Clean).svg - Inkscape.png
Views: 337
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  2020-04-19 23_09_35-Tactical Silhouette (Anatomy).svg - Inkscape.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  2020-04-19 23_10_15-Tactical Silhouette (Contrast).svg - Inkscape.png
Views: 293
Size:  28.5 KB

Any chance of seeing this with the IDPA chest circle high in the chest? Very interesting target.

Target looks very well thought out. Maybe something to consider would be changing some of the circles for dot torture to different shapes like a square, diamond, triangle, star etc. Shapes can also contain a number. When training with others or calling the line a number or shape can be called keeping the shooter focused and thinking during drills.

On a somewhat related note; we have been doing some carbine training that includes shooting a silhouette target at 300 paces. Shooters using magnification have no issue but guys running unmagnified stuff can have a hard time differentiating between the actual target and the surface it is printed on.

Black and white "picture" targets with scowling bad guys or other targets like a TQ15 with a fairly light colored silhouette can get pretty indistinct beyond maybe 150.

The VTAC target works fairly well with its white target and black background. But what might work best is the plain old B27 with the black silhouette on white.

I don't know if this is helpful or not but it might be something to keep in mind if you decide to use the targets for something other than pistol.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLapre View Post
    Any chance of seeing this with the IDPA chest circle high in the chest? Very interesting target.
    I do have a prototype version of this, here is a screenshot. Actually, I have a ton of designs and the different target zones and shapes are easy to customize now that I have the hard work of the Silhouette where I want it. The main thing I want to know is if I'm actually solving a problem that needs solving, would others besides me go through the trouble of trimming margins and gluing multiple sheets?

Name:  2020-04-22 16_28_00-LE Silhouette (Clean).svg - Inkscape.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  32.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    On a somewhat related note; we have been doing some carbine training that includes shooting a silhouette target at 300 paces. Shooters using magnification have no issue but guys running unmagnified stuff can have a hard time differentiating between the actual target and the surface it is printed on.

Black and white "picture" targets with scowling bad guys or other targets like a TQ15 with a fairly light colored silhouette can get pretty indistinct beyond maybe 150.

The VTAC target works fairly well with its white target and black background. But what might work best is the plain old B27 with the black silhouette on white.

I don't know if this is helpful or not but it might be something to keep in mind if you decide to use the targets for something other than pistol.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    This brings up something I'm unsure of. I've already done the work to create the USPSA, IDPA, and NRA targets into my multple sheet format. It's how I initially learned Inkscape well enough to do my own artwork. I'm really unsure if those are public domain and if it's legal for me to offer them even though I made them from scratch from rulebook measurements. Anyone here know?

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    This brings up something I'm unsure of. I've already done the work to create the USPSA, IDPA, and NRA targets into my multple sheet format. It's how I initially learned Inkscape well enough to do my own artwork. I'm really unsure if those are public domain and if it's legal for me to offer them even though I made them from scratch from rulebook measurements. Anyone here know?
    Thanks. The IDPA ring looks excellent. Really appreciate you posting it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to thank everyone for the helpful feedback. This is the flagship version I'm going run with as "version 1.0". I will have variations of target zones and objects in the hand, but the alternate aiming points and Silhouette will be locked to this so I can put more design work into making a full featured series of targets. I will be making single sheet repair targets for the head and chest as well. I'm hoping when all is said and done to give people an option for self-printing targets, whether it be their sole training target or to fill in gaps when either waiting for a shipment or increased portability of the system is desired. Using this model I can fit all the targets I need for a day of training into a small portfolio.

Name:  20200429_125446.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  33.8 KB

User Tag List