Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Feedback on Target Designs

Looking for Feedback on Target Designs

A year or so ago I started messing around with vector graphics to make my own targets for training. It turns out that I really enjoy it and have been refining, learning, and adding features as I go. I've found I really enjoy using these, and I like the portability. I've finally got all the math right to print out a large target into 8 pages to piece together from standard 8.5x11 paper. Adobe Acrobat has this feature, but it sucks for this application and I needed complete control over it. I'm thinking of making a website where these are downloadable. I feel like the most serious shooters are here, and I'd really appreciate honest feedback on the primary design. Here's an explanation of the elements of the target:
    1. The targets are purposefully simple line drawings in black and shades of grey to conserve the most toner or ink while still being visible. They print out on 8 sheets of paper, with the option of only printing the first 6 for a smaller torso target. There are solid lines that show where to trim the margins, as the vast majority of printers don't print edge to edge and the paper needs to be trimmed to pull this off.
    2. The circles above the square aiming points represent height over bore holdoff for an AR-15 at close range.
    3. The large rectangle around the chest is the size of a USPSA A Zone.
    4. The dotted line is the "spine box" inspired by Paul Howe.
    5. There is a 1" square grid on the entire target to measure groups. It is very subdued and only visible up close.
    6. Although I get the most positive feed back from the target with the skeleton and organs, it's really intended as a teaching tool to explain the more simple target as it would take a lot of ink to use it all the time.
    7. My intent is not to get into the printing business as there are already a plethora of great targets out there. I want to fill the void where people might want easier portability, or may be out of commercial targets and need a way to print some out for a range day instead of waiting for a delivery.
    I have more designs than this, but these are the ones I feel are ready for prime time. Thanks in advance.
    Name:  Tactical Silhouette (Clean).jpg
Views: 517
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  Tactical Silhouette (Anatomy).jpg
Views: 478
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  Live picture.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  28.4 KB
    Last edited by stomridertx; 04-16-2020 at 11:11 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm a heavy contributor to that thread. I'm putting this here because I'm not putting anything for download and actually asking for feedback. People go to that thread only looking to download targets, I want a wider set of eyes.

My only real thought is that the 2" circles are rather close to the silhouette of the head, which may be an issue for folks that aren't as accurate, as they may end up plugging the head when aiming for the 2" (or the converse). There's obviously room on the right side to move it over a bit, but left will be more problematic to preserve the spacing with the 1" circles, so dunno what I would suggest to rectify it on that side.

Concur with there being too many "dots" too close to the head - makes the target busy. I'd also "shorten" the chest "box" - I think you have it extending too far down based on anatomy. I'd cut about 20% off the bottom - so the box ends just below the bottom of the lungs.

@Mr_White has done a lot of fascinating research into how our eyes perceive targets, maybe he'll drop in.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Concur with there being too many "dots" too close to the head - makes the target busy.
    Agree. Maybe move the 1" circles down below the "gun", and then split the 2" circles into two staggered rows on either side of the head?

Something like:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  8.6 KB

I can definitely re-think the dot placement. Right now the 2" circles are placed in such a way that you can run the dot torture drill. I initally moved them close to the head so they could double as "don't hit the hostage" aiming points, but it sounds like I need to put some more room there.
    The center chest rectangle is purposefully sized like a USPSA A Zone, because a lot of trainers use those targets. The 1" square represents ideal upper thoracic shot placement in that zone. I practice CSAT standards quite a bit and actually try to keep bullets in the spine box. I used to have a 5x7 rectangle there instead for a high accuracy standard, but the A zone seems to be a universal standard for "passing" and not all shooters can hold that group like most of us can.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    @Mr_White has done a lot of fascinating research into how our eyes perceive targets, maybe he'll drop in.
    That would be awesome, exactly what I'm looking for. I have versions of these with circles instead of rectangles and the typical LE bowling pin outline, they are just not refined enough yet.

I mocked up some quick changes made from feedback. I moved the dot torture circles 1" away from the head in each direction and replaced the tiny dots with 2 more 2" circles to remove visual clutter. I put 2 horizontal dotted lines to outline the heart/aorta just to see if that adds too much, based on the suggestion of @psalms144.1.
    Name:  2020-04-17 10_27_24-_Tactical Silhouette (Clean).svg - Inkscape.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  34.1 KB

User Tag List