Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 9mm and maybe .223. I have stuff, but don't know anything

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    See, this is why I never got into reloading. I don't care to read manuals and futz with different loads, different powders, the nth of a grain difference.

More like:
    make 9mm
    shoot 9mm
    repeat.

Is that not realistic without buying and reading a manual?
    Nothing wrong with that... and I suppose it can. I generally hold that having two written references in addition to what's available on the internet is a best practice if only to cross check data. I personally have Lee and Hornady on hand. Yes, that's a bit more geared toward experimentation and once you figure out that X grains of Y powder pushing Z bullet (and you just rinse and repeat that), no you don't need a manual.

That said...
    1) maybe it's that I started in experimenting with rifle loads, but I just prefer to have one around - never found a reason NOT to have one and
    2) in this day and age, you may find that your favorite powder can't be found, but an alternative will work. I tend to crack the manual before I consult the internet, and I tend to cross check multiple sources if I'm entering new territory. I tend to stick to specific loads and vary very little, but I got there after doing a fair bit (not exhaustive, but comprehensive) due diligence.

(If you're just fixed on two calibers, Loadbooks may be a more appropriate/effective option - www.loadbooks.com)

I won't tell you you're fucked up if you go without, but I would encourage the investment. Just one asshole's opinion; I'll get off the soapbox now.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    See, this is why I never got into reloading. I don't care to read manuals and futz with different loads, different powders, the nth of a grain difference.

More like:
    make 9mm
    shoot 9mm
    repeat.

Is that not realistic without buying and reading a manual?

No, you are seeking to participate in an activity that is potentially hazardous or even fatal to you and those around you if done incorrectly. 9mm ammunition is dirt cheap, same with 5.56. If you don't have the patience or desire to seek a full understanding of the process you are better off buying factory ammo. Taking shortcuts in any life endeavor usually results in an unsatisfactory outcome.

Site Supporter
    1) Collect brass, order 9mm projectiles - primers - one pistol powder
    2) Powder can be one of many - TiteGroup, WSF, etc. - it really is not rocket surgery
    3) Buy a Dillon Square Deal in 9mm
    4) Adjust the powder drop to supply powder approximately half way between min and max for selected powder and selected bullet
    5) Square Deal dies should be set from Dillon
    6) Load a few
    7) Test in your barrel for fit
    8) Load 50 or so and take to range
    9) Assuming they work ok - load in volume
    10) Never mess with the press, use same projectile weights, same powder, etc.

Buy 223

Sounds like you want the short and easy route to volume for 9mm and/or 556. What you've got barely scratches the surface to get going, but is more suited for very low volume/time intensive with minimal investment.

You'll have a pretty decent startup cost for what you're looking for, which would take some time to amortize relative to ammo costs before you get ahead.

As mentioned above the Dillon Square Deal B is great for cheaper volume pistol. But reloading does take some research, some time and attention. Otherwise that's what ammo companies are for.

I'm just up the road in Jefferson if you decide you want to pursue it.

That hand press is NOT going to be the way to "easily" get into reloading. Yes, you need to read and learn some stuff, because even a minor f*** up on your part while reloading can have catastrophic results.

If you want to "get into" reloading, I'd second the suggestion of a Dillon set up in ONE caliber (I'd start with 9mm, because rifle reloading does take some more steps that require even more attention to detail). I'd suggest the 550, because I don't like new reloaders having self-indexing machines - until you learn the correct steps and they become instinctive, you really need to pay close attention to what you're doing.

That hand press would be perfect for loading 20-50 rounds of rifle ammo at a shot, but you still need a powder measure, hand priming tool, and a bunch of other stuff.

My thoughts...

First off decide "what do I want to get out of this" then move forward.

For me it was "I need more ammo to shoot USPSA". Knowing nothing I talked to some people, read some stuff, then ordered a full Dillon 650, Mr. Bulletfeeder, and casefeeder. This with the recommended items for case prep, powder weight, bullet puller, etc.

I had several big boxes of stuff with very clear instructions starting "Step 1" from Dillon. Was quickly making ammo and would do it all over again. This would have been different If making for precision rifle, etc., etc. A random box of stuff would have been terrible in my case. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    That hand press is NOT going to be the way to "easily" get into reloading. That hand press would be perfect for loading 20-50 rounds of rifle ammo at a shot, but you still need a powder measure, hand priming tool, and a bunch of other stuff.
    Yep. The Hand Press is a pretty handy little deal. Good for decapping brass prior to tumbling/washing and good for working up a load or something. Not good for quantity but it isn't really meant for that.

Not to disagree with some members here but skip the Sqaure Deal and get something more versatile. The Dillon 550 or 750, the Hornady Lock N Load or even the Lee Pro 1000 or Load Master will serve you better especially once you decide on what you want to do and what you're going to be reloading.

Also, go buy yourself something like the Lyman 50th Reloading Manual. The front of the book has good info on basic reloading as well as info on safety steps, etc. Another book is ABCs of Reloading. Either should give you good instructions. I suppose it is possible the local library might have either book if you don't want to buy but a good reloading manual is going to be a must.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I would just buy the ammo. 9mm and .223 are cheap compared to equipment costs to buy a decent setup to start reloading. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby. Their first hobby was shooting. Sounds like you don't want a second hobby.

Honestly, if I weren't set up already I wouldn't bother with 9mm. Somebody gave me the dies and I just had to master a new cartridge. I don't even like 9mm.

If you decide to try it I'll send you a few hundred once fired 9mm cases to get started. Just ask.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I would just buy the ammo. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby.
    Yep. Also good advice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I would just buy the ammo. 9mm and .223 are cheap compared to equipment costs to buy a decent setup to start reloading. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby. Their first hobby was shooting. Sounds like you don't want a second hobby.

Honestly, if I weren't set up already I wouldn't bother with 9mm. Somebody gave me the dies and I just had to master a new cartridge. I don't even like 9mm.

If you decide to try it I'll send you a few hundred once fired 9mm cases to get started. Just ask.
    I don’t disagree, in normal times. These aren’t exactly normal times, though.

I have my press primarily set-up to load .38, .357, and hunting rifle ammunition. I’m set for loading 9mm and .223 as well just because it doesn’t take much extra effort or money to add a caliber or two once you have the basic equipment, and I want to be able to make whatever I need from my components if we hit an ammo scarcity issue. Like we just did.

I was just in my reloading area last night counting supplies, and discovered an unopened 500ct box of moly-coated .355 124gr lead bullets I bought at least three years ago, before I quit regularly assembling 9mm due to cost/time not adding up for me. So I guess I’m set for now for not buying another case or half case of practice ammo I don’t really have time to use up in a hurry anyway. LOL.

User Tag List