Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reloading 9mm and maybe .223. I have stuff, but don't know anything

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I don’t disagree, in normal times. These aren’t exactly normal times, though.

I have my press primarily set-up to load .38, .357, and hunting rifle ammunition. I’m set for loading 9mm and .223 as well just because it doesn’t take much extra effort or money to add a caliber or two once you have the basic equipment, and I want to be able to make whatever I need from my components if we hit an ammo scarcity issue. Like we just did.

I was just in my reloading area last night counting supplies, and discovered an unopened 500ct box of moly-coated .355 124gr lead bullets I bought at least three years ago, before I quit regularly assembling 9mm due to cost/time not adding up for me. So I guess I’m set for now for not buying another case or half case of practice ammo I don’t really have time to use up in a hurry anyway. LOL.
    Agree. I don't have to think about ammo availability for at least 2 years. I started loading metal around 2008 when powder and primers disappeared. I scrounged powder and primers here and there for several years. Shortages are a bitch. People start thinking about getting geared up at the very worse possible time, like me. Been there, done that, got the dumbass t-shirt.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    So looking at the pics I see 9mm dies, .223 dies, pistol and rifle primers, 9mm bullets. But like, I don't even know where to start. Why are there so many dies? How do you use them? Which one first? I need powder. I assume pistol powder is different than rifle powder? Which is good to get? I understand these things may be in short supply right now too.
    I would say all you need now is a bench mounted press, a scale, a lee factory crimp die, and more supplies and your in business.

You could easily be all setup to load up 1000 rounds for another $200ish bucks.

Loading pistol ain’t rocket surgery. Resize the case with one die, flare the case mouth and drop powder on step 2, seat bullet step 3, remove flare with the Lee die.

The main reason I reload 9mm is to have enough stock on hand without dropping hundreds on multiple cases. Close second is cost. I can reload a case of 9mm using coated 124’s for about $115 per case. Before things got silly recently that’s still a $50 per case savings for 30 minutes if reloading per day on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

For what it's worth, Ramshot's manual is posted for free online here: https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/u....0-Web-REV.pdf

If you aren't willing to read a reloading manual, then put all that stuff back in the box and go buy some ammo. Reloading is not for the impatient or non-detail-oriented among us. You can get yourself or someone else badly hurt.

I personally don't bother loading 9mm or most 5.56. I do load 77 grain precision 5.56 cartridges for my Mk12. I focus on developing and creating hunting and/or target loads tailored to my rifles. For example, I have a load using 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets that shoots .6 MOA out of my 1985 vintage Weatherby Mark V. I also have a sub-MOA load for my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H Mag using 260 grain Nosler Partitions.

I also load for big bore revolvers like .44 Remington Magnum and .454 Casull.

I enjoy it, but as someone else posted, it is a hobby unto itself.

If you dig, it then try the Hornady manual. It has a very good section at the beginning that explains the process and tools you need. And if you do move forward, buy a decent press from Redding or RCBS. And an automatic dispenser/scale combo.

Name:  1410992458-99240-10th-Edition-Hornady-Handbook.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  28.7 KB

User Tag List