Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Internet extender/repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Possible that you take a picture of the back side i.e. where the cables come and go showing all the connections?

I think I know why you are having issues.
    Okay, here is the end where all magic and stuff comes out of:
    Name:  IMG_0926.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  22.6 KB
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I'd be tempted to try an Alfa AC1900 or something similar prior to funding the external antenna.

I don't have that particular model, but a few of their others have served me well. From there go into settings and make your pc a wifi hotspot for anything else needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm totally not a tech guy, but think that might be your more reliable play. You'll have to use a "booster" or whatever its called just to reach the building, and then another one inside to spread the signal inside so that it's not just confined to the immediate area of that window.

Seems more simple and reliable to just run a line from your house to inside the building with its own router.
    I would love to do what I highlighted, but the quote from the Co-Op was almost $800. I could plow the line myself, but they didn't seem very happy about that, or of having someone other than themselves mucking about in their J-Box. Since I am a "custom" utility contractor, I have a bit of a "shirttail cousin relationship" with them and some other providers. I need to maintain the status of the relationship.

So, cost is the driver here. Since a lot of our contracts our cost shared by State or Federal funds, in addition to it being a bit slow to dry up this spring, we are off to a slow start. I am basically only drawing half-wages, and not claiming any OT or bonuses. That ensures my guys don't ever feel the "bump in the road".

So I'm just trying to do this on the "cheap".
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Okay, here is the end where all magic and stuff comes out of:
    Name:  IMG_0926.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  22.6 KB
    Great thanks.

Sorry for the 20 questions but is that an ethernet cable at the bottom? What does that connect to?

Great thanks.

Sorry for the 20 questions but is that an ethernet cable at the bottom? What does that connect to?
    No problem with the questions, I appreciate the help!!
    Yes, it connects to a wall jack, which is hard wired to the FO J-Box.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No problem with the questions, I appreciate the help!!
    Yes, it connects to a wall jack, which is hard wired to the FO J-Box.
    Ok gotcha.

By way of background, I spent a couple years in an RV travelling the US full time, connecting all the devices in my coach to various and sundry RV parks. Generally the Access Point was several hundred feet away from where I was camped. So I had to develop a working knowledge of WiFi at the practical level.

It helps a bit that I am an EE, and have worked in and around folks that designed networks for solutions in the Aerospace biz for 40 years. Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

So from the posts it looks like you have a Fiber Optic line to a junction box, supplying the internet feed. That box downconverts to a local area network connection which arrives inside via an Ethernet jack. You connect up the router supplied by the phone company to the ethernet line.

Roger so far?

I'm assuming that inside the house, you connect to the wireless network, that is provided by that router?

Last one on the Morton building, do you have a window with clear line of sight to the main house? Or, alternatively, do you have the option to install a small mounting plate and run a cable (say ethernet or coax) from said plate location, into the Morton building?

Last thing is your budget to spend ($0 is ok); how much effort you want to put in (again, just plug it in and let the damn thing work is ok), and how you would describe your computer skills beginner, somewhat, advanced, etc. (That just helps me describe some of the options you could look into, is all.)

If you can let me know your thoughts on the above, there are a few directions we can go in.

Ok gotcha.

By way of background, I spent a couple years in an RV travelling the US full time, connecting all the devices in my coach to various and sundry RV parks. Generally the Access Point was several hundred feet away from where I was camped. So I had to develop a working knowledge of WiFi at the practical level.

It helps a bit that I am an EE, and have worked in and around folks that designed networks for solutions in the Aerospace biz for 40 years. Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

So from the posts it looks like you have a Fiber Optic line to a junction box, supplying the internet feed. That box downconverts to a local area network connection which arrives inside via an Ethernet jack. You connect up the router supplied by the phone company to the ethernet line.

Roger so far? Roger that.

I'm assuming that inside the house, you connect to the wireless network, that is provided by that router? Roger

Last one on the Morton building, do you have a window with clear line of sight to the main house? Or, alternatively, do you have the option to install a small mounting plate and run a cable (say ethernet or coax) from said plate location, into the Morton building? Yes on both. I will do whichever you think is the best solution.

Last thing is your budget to spend ($0 is ok); how much effort you want to put in (again, just plug it in and let the damn thing work is ok), and how you would describe your computer skills beginner, somewhat, advanced, etc. (That just helps me describe some of the options you could look into, is all.) I would surely like to keep below the quote price they gave me for a hardline install.
    I'm certainly willing to do the physical labor, computer skill I would guess at somewhat to advanced.

If you can let me know your thoughts on the above, there are a few directions we can go in.

This is a $100 Mu MIMO AP that needs a separate PoE to be purchased to drive it, correct? What would be special about this particular item that would "extend range"?

Not trying to be an ass, just curious if you have this item and have used it with good results. I read through the user manual at the link and really didn't notice much in the way of features that would say this item is better for "long range" WiFi than the typical AP, hence the questions hoping to learn something new.
    I have one of the normal ones, not the long range version. It came with the PoE adapter. I think a friend who works in networks recommended it to me.

Yes it worked when I needed to get wifi out to my pool area. I was able to run Cat5 to a corner in the basement (walkout) and then use the AP there. The software seems geared toward network pros and not your average homeowner. I figured it out though.

I am not using it anymore. Send me a PM if someone wants to try it out, buy it, trade me, whatever.

I was having Wi-Fi strength issues. My friend who is a tech nerd at Facebook recommended an eero mesh system. I bought 2 for $135 and they're stupid easy to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-A.../dp/B07WGJ8ZD3

Ok here are a few options I might suggest you look into.

Inside the house

First thing to check is within the setup of your router / access point itself. I'd log in (I assume you have admin rights?), and make sure that any settings that relate to "signal strength" or "range" are turned up to the maximum. It is possible the default on your AP is set to the minimum. Meaning, you only want to broadcast your signal as far as needed, and no farther. But in a rural or otherwise open situation, you can turn it up in the software. Doing this will make sure the router is broadcasting at as high a level as possible.

Second thing is to simply make sure the router is sited so that there is a clear line of site to the Morton Building. (I think from the picture it is near a window, right? So you might have done this.)

After that, we are probably looking at hardware upgrades. Two things will help: Bigger antennas, or powered amplifiers. For antennas, you need to have access to the radio i.e. the router. What this means is the router will have to either have an antenna port, or have built in antennas to support the radio. For powered amplifiers, there are a few options these days that are fairly cheap.

Here's one I found on Amazon as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/ROCK-SPACE-75..._t2_B085FVDQ76

PLEASE NOTE: I do not have direct information on this product, just a possible thing to look at. This particular one looks like it re-radiates the WiFi information (packets of data) from your original network, but boosted in terms of power.

Another option that might be more involved, is to split the "repeating" into another access port, a signal amplifier, and a directional antenna. To give you an idea of what I mean:

- You could plug this access point into your existing router. You'd need to let it power up, and get a DHCP connection to your current AP. Let's call this network "new_net". This new router would then be online, but limited to near your current router.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54...7070463&sr=8-3

Now, let's remove one of the antennas from the back of this router, and add in an amplifier (you can see where this is going ):

https://www.amazon.com/Sunhans-Sh-25...7070539&sr=8-7

This is going to give you 2.5W of output power. Then you need an antenna to connect to the amplifier, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TECHTOO-SMA-P...7070642&sr=8-4

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/TECHTOO-Direc...7070693&sr=8-7

...and point it at the Morton Building. You would now need to connect to "new_net". You are basically constructing a directional, high powered "beam" of RF that supports your network.

This is the DIY version of those "wifi" extender products. I've not used them, and I'm sure they are effective, but they do cost a bit which may or may not be what you are looking for. The above is part of what I designed for my RV network (I'll leave out the rest, which included reflashing routers with DD-WRT and then using them as Repeater / Bridges).

In the Morton Building

Ok, let's talk about the building. I'll assume you have a Windows device? If so, you can get some increased range a few ways.

Avoid putting metal between your device and the house AP. That could be re-siting where you sit, or be nearer a window. Assuming a laptop, you could purchase an external WiFi dongle/antenna. If you use Windows, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/QGOO-1200Mbps...7070595&sr=8-3

For a laptop, this can help quite a bit, since you are now essentially adding an antenna to pick up weaker signals. Some dongles also power the radio signal, which will also help. (Pro Tip: Antennas don't amplify, they just eliminate noise. )

Hopefully this gives you some ideas. I am sure other folks can chime in with additional solutions as well. If you just think of WiFi as a basic two way digital radio, operating at 2.4 Ghz, you won't be far wrong.

User Tag List