Thread: Stainless Steel Hammer & Trigger . . .

Stainless Steel Hammer & Trigger . . .

I’m a new “immigrant” to this particular site. I was frequenting another one, but it changed its format – and not for the best. So, I “migrated” . . .
    Now that that’s over – I’ve got a question: I recently purchased a 686 L-Frame 4” barreled revolver. I polished it to a high-chrome-like shine, and made grips for it out of black walnut (I tho’t a gun that beautiful deserved better shoes than the galoshes it came with). The only things I don’t like about the gun is the hammer and the trigger – they’re a dark charcoal grey color. On the previous site, a person replaced his dark parts with stainless steel ones. Now comes the question – can these be acquired directly from Smith & Wesson, or do I have to go to a gun store to have them order them for me??? Thank you in advance.

First, welcome to P-F.com.

Stainless Smith parts can be hard to find. I doubt the factory has any. Try Numrich and eBay.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

You can also look up "parts kits" on Everygunpart.com

Here's a search for S&W 6 shot .357's
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Welcome to PF.

Just be advised that Revolver parts are fitted to each gun and are not nessarily "Drop In".. As such buying the parts and just putting them in without a trip to a "Competant REVOLVER Smith" can be hit or miss. Especially the Single Action Sear Engagement. Unfortunately Skilled revolver smiths are few and far between nowadays.

Have you tried lightly polishing either the trigger or hammer in a hidden spot and see if you get a finish you like. If it a MIM part be vary careful of the amount of material removed. Also stay away from any of the engagement areas like the single action sear. I have 40 years of tinkering around in Smith revolvers and will not attempt playing with the SA sear engagement.

Good Luck
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

If you want to change the looks of your trigger & hammer, you can probably have them plated and/or polished cheaper than you can replace them.

If the polished look trips your trigger, Mag-na-Port will polish your hammer & trigger for $55 and it will look like this:

Last edited by 41magfan; 04-19-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List