Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FASTer Bracket Challenge! It looks like the FAST has hit the big time.

FASTer Bracket Challenge! It looks like the FAST has hit the big time.

I found this at Gunzoo.com:

Lots of attention has recently been drawn to the FAST Drill made famous by the guys at http://pistol-training.com/. This drill tests a variety of skills that any shooter needs to take his or her game to the next level. We at GunZoo are big USPSA fans and wanted to find a way to modify this drill to turn it into a nationwide competition, that everyone could compete in. Enter, The GunZoo FASTer Bracket Challenge.

The Drill

Before we get into how to enter the competition and all that let’s take a look at the GunZoo FASTer Drill.

•No Concealment.
    •USPSA Production approved gun and rig. Production guns only!
    •USPSA metric target at 7-yards
    •6-shots (2 to the upper A-zone and 4 to the lower A-zone)
    Starting position is hands by your side, gun holstered and loaded with 3-rounds.

On start signal draw and engage the upper A-zone of the target with 2-rounds. Perform an in-battery reload (one round still in the chamber) and engage the lower A-zone with 4-rounds. Do this as fast as possible.

Details at:

http://gunzoo.com/news/2012-GunZoo-F...cket-Challenge

We are diminished
    Very cool!

Just to make sure I've got it right, the classic IPSC target it the "metric" and the newer Euro target is the "classic" correct?

edited to add: There are a few things I'd recommend they change to their video requirements.

First, I'd require something like a measuring tape be on the ground and that the video clearly shows a legitimate 7yd distance to target.

Second, personally I think the camera angle that Sevigny used for his runs was the least debatable. It shows the target and the timer starting clean and you see the actual hits and times as they happen. This avoids accusations about people who use a pre-shot target and then throw rounds into the berm off camera, people who change the timer sensitivity after recording a low score so the "recorded" numbers are lower than the actual time on the video, etc.

Barring that, I'd want the video to begin with the clean target and a shot timer showing 0.00, then an unedited nonstop film all the way through showing the timer results (splits) and the target. That could still be hoaxed but it would be more difficult.
    Last edited by ToddG; 05-20-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Very cool!

Just to make sure I've got it right, the classic IPSC target it the "metric" and the newer Euro target is the "classic" correct?
    Yeah the one with the head is the metric. The A zone on that is smaller than the 3*5 card.

I'm sure the attention is great for furthering pistol craft, my only "beef" is that if comp gear is used push the boundrys and keep it a slide lock reload.

ETA: it is very cool it's beeing done, I'm just a selfish jealous bastard that can't shoot that fast.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    I'm sure the attention is great for furthering pistol craft, my only "beef" is that if comp gear is used push the boundrys and keep it a slide lock reload.
    I cannot agree. They're making an IPSC version of the drill for IPSC competitors to have an online/"postal" IPSC competition. It makes more sense for them to use their target and their rules and their shooting style. There are already other variants of the drill that people use. For example, Ken Hackathorn has been using it for years but he (a) allows any shot to the entire 6x6 head box for the first two shots and (b) requires that you be moving backwards the entire time. Even with the more generous head zone it's a very difficult variation unless you simply retreat at "game speed."

Noted sir, the Hack version is intriguing. What are his time standards?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I cannot agree. They're making an IPSC version of the drill for IPSC competitors to have an online/"postal" IPSC competition. It makes more sense for them to use their target and their rules and their shooting style. There are already other variants of the drill that people use. For example, Ken Hackathorn has been using it for years but he (a) allows any shot to the entire 6x6 head box for the first two shots and (b) requires that you be moving backwards the entire time. Even with the more generous head zone it's a very difficult variation unless you simply retreat at "game speed."
    Just FYI, it's USPSA, not IPSC. At this point they are very, very different.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Noted sir, the Hack version is intriguing. What are his time standards?
    He considers anything under 6s clean as outstanding. I've always translated that into adding one second to the standard F.A.S.T. brackets of 5/7/10.

Any predictions on the fastest time?

I made Matt Mink aware of this last night and he was talking CRAZY numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stoeger View Post
    Any predictions on the fastest time?

I made Matt Mink aware of this last night and he was talking CRAZY numbers.
    Tell us what your time is and we should have a pretty good idea of where the fastest times will fall!

User Tag List