Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: LARP Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

The point I was getting to is that if a civilian ownership of a rifle that can be easily pressed into a military service yet has a 99.999% probability of never being used in its intended role is not LARPing (and I don't think it is), then we should strongly reconsider ever using that term again in description of any firearm ownership.
    If we using the term in describing human behavior, then I'd argue that without getting in person's head, understanding their source of knowledge, prior influences, reference points, abilities and opportunities to rectify deficiencies etc, we can't use it either. No matter how grotesque the behavior can be.

While in the past, usually at day 3 of a carbine class, I felt like I was doing just that, over the time I have grown to despise the term and its usage.
    To me, it’s way more about actions, activities, and intentions than it is about ownership of a specific object.

And I disagree that you have to get into someone else’s head. We have the reality of their public statements by which to gauge their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    All talk of LARPing is gatekeeping and divides us as members of the shooting culture. We shouldn't be tearing down fellow shooters. Terms like larping, tacticool, mall ninja, etc. all serve to divide us and turn on each other. Yes yes it's fun to look down on the larper and those who do are so much more serious and correct. But similar to joshing at all the memes about people trying to panic buy guns during coronavirus lockdowns and running in to waiting periods, it all just seems so petty.
    I agree in theory/concept/principle. I’m not trying to tear anyone down or divide anyone.

I don’t think that calling bullshit in someone’s fantasy is necessarily meant to divide. You simply can’t have an intelligent conversation with someone wearing a wizard robe and hat that keeps insisting on chanting incantations. Unfortunately they often don’t break out said hat and robe until well into the conversation, at which point it just becomes uncomfortable for everyone involved...

Someone else is in a fantasy land, LARPing. They're trying to act like something they aren't, knowingly or not.

Who gives a shit?

-Cory

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

If we using the term in describing human behavior, then I'd argue that without getting in person's head, understanding their source of knowledge, prior influences, reference points, abilities and opportunities to rectify deficiencies etc, we can't use it either. No matter how grotesque the behavior can be.

While in the past, usually at day 3 of a carbine class, I felt like I was doing just that, over the time I have grown to despise the term and its usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    All talk of LARPing is gatekeeping and divides us as members of the shooting culture. We shouldn't be tearing down fellow shooters. Terms like larping, tacticool, mall ninja, etc. all serve to divide us and turn on each other. Yes yes it's fun to look down on the larper and those who do are so much more serious and correct. But similar to joshing at all the memes about people trying to panic buy guns during coronavirus lockdowns and running in to waiting periods, it all just seems so petty.
    I don't buy in to the theory that we can't hold people accountable for their behavior and that just because somebody owns a gun we should overlook their behavior. Gun owners aren't always "the good guy" nor are they always worth rallying around. I counter your everybody should be able to do everything because nobody can judge anybody sentiment with:

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Someone else is in a fantasy land, LARPing. They're trying to act like something they aren't, knowingly or not.

Who gives a shit?

-Cory

Generally, I don't. Until their bullshit overflows onto others. You get the super-tactical-ninja guy who insists you'll be killed in the streets for carrying a revolver, the wannabe cowboy who insists you'll shoot your dick of with a Glock, and the assorted militia idiots who make it easier for gun bans to be put into place by making gun owners less palatable to the general public with their talk of 3% armed revolution, etc.

If you want to LARP and realize what you're doing, that's absolutely fine with me. If you want to recommend a Judge as a self defense gun because of your make-believe world, I'm going to call you on your shit. I would think that this forum in particular realizes the value of that, as that's part of the core mission.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-16-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Generally, I don't. Until their bullshit overflows onto others. You get the super-tactical-ninja guy who insists you'll be killed in the streets for carrying a revolver, the wannabe cowboy who insists you'll shoot your dick of with a Glock, and the assorted militia idiots who make it easier for gun bans to be put into place by making gun owners less palatable to the general public with their talk of 3% armed revolution, etc.

If you want to LARP and realize what you're doing, that's absolutely fine with me. If you want to recommend a Judge as a self defense gun because of your make-believe world, I'm going to call you on your shit. I would think that this forum in particular realizes the value of that, as that's part of the core mission.
    I can definitely see drawing a line with people giving bad advice. I don't really think thats the same issue though. Morons recommend .410 zombie max in your judge for self defense all the time, without pretending to be something they aren't. It isn't LARP it's derp. They don't know the information and that causes the bad advice/instruction/suggestion.

For me, LARP means pretend. Pretending or imagining your some cool .mil guy in your head is LARP. Pretending that react to contact mounted with 1 of your 4 vics disabled is applicable to your life as a civilian headed for groceries is LARP. Neither one really impacts others, so it's dumb but I don't care.

Plenty of LARPers are derpy... but I dont think the LARP is the real problem there. It's a derp problem. If those folks actually had an understanding, or knew that there was stuff they don't know that they don't know... the problem would be solved.

-Cory

I can definitely see drawing a line with people giving bad advice. I don't really think thats the same issue though. Morons recommend .410 zombie max in your judge for self defense all the time, without pretending to be something they aren't. It isn't LARP it's derp. They don't know the information and that causes the bad advice/instruction/suggestion.
    I can see that distinction. My question would be why do they think they are qualified to offer advice in the first place? I think that sort of self-delusion is very much a form of LARPing in the context of this thread. They *imagine* they are the sort of person who's qualified to offer advice in this arena, they present it as such to others, assuming that role, but they aren't qualified any more then I can cast a fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

And I disagree that you have to get into someone else’s head. We have the reality of their public statements by which to gauge their behavior.
    I don't buy in to the theory that we can't hold people accountable for their behavior and that just because somebody owns a gun we should overlook their behavior. Gun owners aren't always "the good guy" nor are they always worth rallying around. I counter your everybody should be able to do everything because nobody can judge anybody sentiment with:

There has to be degree of specificity to those statements and acts and behaviors to ascertain a departure into realm of excess, the latter being what I see as LARPing. Accountability is a different subject, as are two armed guys in Starbucks who went there because "2A activism", not because it was their threat level assessment decision.

Defining the excess, whether material ownership, investment in training, public posturing etc, is an iffy proposition. 2/3 of this country doesn't think owning any firearm is needed to live normal lives. To them our public statements and behavior, expressed through AR ownership, are LARPing and whatever else they call it, yet we don't give a damn. Outside of issues of responsible and safe ownership, I would be very careful in defining "normalcy" parameters which is what seemingly needed for this whole LARP discussion to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There is a difference between telling you that I think you’re full of shit when you say you “need” a suppressed AR, 47,000 hours of gun camp, a plate carrier, and the latest and greatest of ammo selections to repel... whoever the fuck you think is breaking in to your house, and the government telling you that you CAN’T own that thing.

By the same token, I don't see a problem telling anyone they're full of shit when they say the "need" any AR repel whoever. Pistols would suffice. I bet that for 90%+ of p-f members who have ARs, those boomsticks aren't readily accessible without going through the safe lock combo. Where do we draw "full of shit" line then?
    Last edited by YVK; 04-16-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I can see that distinction. My question would be why do they think they are qualified to offer advice in the first place? I think that sort of self-delusion is very much a form of LARPing in the context of this thread. They *imagine* they are the sort of person who's qualified to offer advice in this arena, they present it as such to others, assuming that role, but they aren't qualified any more then I can cast a fireball.
    I think people imagining they are qualified and then giving bad advice isn't as frequent as those who never even pause to consider if they are qualified.

I think when you go from playing pretend, to actually believing... you've crossed a distinct line from LARP to actual cognitive problems. I'm not sure what the DSM would call it, but I'm sure it has a name. Perhaps that is still considered a normal part of LARPing by society and I'm just unaware of it.

Suprisingly interesting thread.

-Cory

There has to be degree of specificity to those statements and acts and behaviors to ascertain a departure into realm of excess, the latter being what I see as LARPing.
    I understand this is going to sound snarky in text, but I promise it's not intended that way. Can you rephrase this, as I am not really grasping what you're saying here.

As far as accessibility of a long gun, I don't know what 90% of PF has to do but for me it depends on time and location and current threat level. Right now I can access an AR by taking maybe 15 steps. If I leave the house it's secured. There was a time when I was receiving death threats the department considered credible enough to send detectives to talk to folks and to offer me a pole cam that it was closer.

I think people imagining they are qualified and then giving bad advice isn't as frequent as those who never even pause to consider if they are qualified.
    I think that's likely a distinction without a difference for this context, personally, but again can see that viewpoint.

User Tag List