Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LARP Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    WTF am I reading here?
    I got tired of writing and skipped a few turns. We were overleveled for the dungeon anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I am sure that Joe Biden would agree with you.

First, this isn't a political argument and, second, you don't know where I am going with my line. Reminder: the discussion is about LARPing, not 2A.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am sure that Joe Biden would agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    First, this isn't a political argument and, second, you don't know where I am going with my line. Reminder: the discussion is about LARPing, not 2A.
    In this day and age when you start marginalizing the usefulness or AR-15s, it becomes a political argument about the 2nd Amendment. While I especially appreciate your contributions on this board to medical issues, I gotta disagree with you on this one.

I can find a lot of home defense shootings where multiple rounds were fired, and some where the defender ran out of ammo. In situations like those, an AR would have been useful. I need not say that running out of ammunition when there is still a threat is a bad thing. Do you really want to rely on the criminals making the decision to run away? If you look at the defensive shootings of Tom Given's students you see criminals taking multiple shots with service caliber handguns. Some of his defending students went to slide lock. I don't want to be any less prepared than that. And in a home defense situation where concealment and carrying a gun isn't an issue, I would rather have a more capable long arm if possible. Especially these days when criminals are being released from prisons prematurely and police response times are slowing, which will encourage more boldness on the part of criminals. Not to mention that the AR-15 is the one of the most commonly sold centerfire rifles where legal.

Here are a few home defense shootings with ARs and AKs that I found:

AK-47 home defense use: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...nvasion/53866/

Homeowner kills 2 burglars with AK-47 : https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story...rs-with-ak-47/

Homeowner kills 3 home invaders with AR-15: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ruders-n739541

Man uses AR-15 to shoot man attacking neighbor:https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...227-story.html

Man kills 2 home intruders with AK-47: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...212474004.html
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-15-2020 at 09:50 PM.

In this day and age when you start marginalizing the usefulness or AR-15s
    Who said I was? I am asking an opinion of a group in general, and those who keep bringing LARP in particular, if owning an AR by a civilian is LARPing, before I made my next point.

Who said I was? I am asking an opinion of a group in general, and those who keep bringing LARP in particular, if owning an AR by a civilian is LARPing, before I made my next point.
    Not taking a side here, just my two cents-

Some would say owning an AR-15 is LARPing, and they get referred to as Fudds. They say things like why do you need a capacity higher than five rounds or you don't need a gun like that for hunting.

I enjoy owning and shooting an AR, and I hope I never have to use it as the for the reason that the 2nd Amendment was written
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    No. Owning a single action Colt isn't LARPing either.

Playing dress up and pretending to be something you aren't is LARPing, regardless of if that's as an old timey cowboy or Beardy McOperator.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

All talk of LARPing is gatekeeping and divides us as members of the shooting culture. We shouldn't be tearing down fellow shooters. Terms like larping, tacticool, mall ninja, etc. all serve to divide us and turn on each other. Yes yes it's fun to look down on the larper and those who do are so much more serious and correct. But similar to joshing at all the memes about people trying to panic buy guns during coronavirus lockdowns and running in to waiting periods, it all just seems so petty.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No. Owning a single action Colt isn't LARPing either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Playing dress up and pretending to be something you aren't is LARPing, regardless of if that's as an old timey cowboy or Beardy McOperator.

The point I was getting to is that if a civilian ownership of a rifle that can be easily pressed into a military service yet has a 99.999% probability of never being used in its intended role is not LARPing (and I don't think it is), then we should strongly reconsider ever using that term again in description of any firearm ownership.
    If we using the term in describing human behavior, then I'd argue that without getting in person's head, understanding their source of knowledge, prior influences, reference points, abilities and opportunities to rectify deficiencies etc, we can't use it either. No matter how grotesque the behavior can be.

While in the past, usually at day 3 of a carbine class, I felt like I was doing just that, over the time I have grown to despise the term and its usage.

The Inrange Test is a pretty good dividing line.

Gun Jesus holding a Chauchat LMG = not LARPing

Gun Jesus in WWI French uniform holding a Chauchat LMG = LARPing
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My apology to all.

I must apologize to all of you in this thread. When ever I hear the term LARP, I can never get my mind past this image.
    Name:  reloading-cover-me-trust-me-im-from-the-internet-21724794.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  43.1 KB

Since I can't take this thread seriously, I will bow out now.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List