Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of changing from Ameriglo to Dawson - RFI

Thinking of changing from Ameriglo to Dawson - RFI

I'm contemplating changing to Dawson Precision Sights and have a few questions. I'm most likely going tritium (but might be open to fiber). Does anyone have a picture that they can post or an opinion on the sight picture of Dawsons? The front sight is .125 wide and the rear notch options are .125 or the smaller .115 for tritium. Is that sight picture super tight?

Also the heights for front and rears are different number conventions than I'm used to with Ameriglo. There are 4 rear height options and tons of front sight height options - what is the Glock 17 and 19 standard heights for poa/poi hitting the front sight ledge at 25?

Last question - if I go tritium, is the rear sight depth deep enough to see the entire white circle around the front sight tritium. The depth of the rear sight notch in my current Ameriglo classics is so shallow that it cuts it off a hair below the tritium and it drives me crazy. Shooting at speed, I default to wanting to see the full dot and it makes me shoot high.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with a Dawson rear that has a 115 notch.

Since the dimensional differences are measured in hundredths of an inch I've never known photos on the internet to really help visualize what they'd be like irl.

Two good alternatives to Dawson Charger sights with a fiber optic front are Henning EDC:

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...3249&CAT=10018

And TTI:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/tti-ul...aran-tactical/

I prefer these to the Dawson because of the melonite coating, as Dawson's get their finish rubbed off fairly easily.

Also from an EDC perspective the Henning front sight is built to protect the fiber rod better.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 04-14-2020 at 02:02 AM.

I have Dawsons (Charger Fiber optic front/plain black rear) on all my glock pistols. I have never had a problem with them. I replaced my Ameriglo T-cap fronts and plain black rears with them. I find that the front pops more for me and allows me the same speed of target aquisition while being a little more precise. My best advice is to set up two pistols with the dawsons and ameriglos and run drills. That way you can see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I'm contemplating changing to Dawson Precision Sights and have a few questions. I'm most likely going tritium (but might be open to fiber). Does anyone have a picture that they can post or an opinion on the sight picture of Dawsons? The front sight is .125 wide and the rear notch options are .125 or the smaller .115 for tritium. Is that sight picture super tight?

Also the heights for front and rears are different number conventions than I'm used to with Ameriglo. There are 4 rear height options and tons of front sight height options - what is the Glock 17 and 19 standard heights for poa/poi hitting the front sight ledge at 25?

Last question - if I go tritium, is the rear sight depth deep enough to see the entire white circle around the front sight tritium. The depth of the rear sight notch in my current Ameriglo classics is so shallow that it cuts it off a hair below the tritium and it drives me crazy. Shooting at speed, I default to wanting to see the full dot and it makes me shoot high.

Thanks.
    What gun are you planning on putting them on? I wouldn't shy away from .125/.125 on a G17 or 34, but I would probably want a .140 rear to match with the .125 front for a 19 or 26.

The sight height you need is going to depend on your individual gun, ammo, etc. You should shoot a bench rested group at 15 or 25 (wherever you want to zero it) with your current sights and then do the math to convert what you'll need for front and rear height. Dawson has a calculator here: https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

All that said, I think a high viz front sight is a necessity for high performance shooting, and Dawson doesn't offer that in a tritium option. I'd personally go with an Ameriglo Bold front sight in .125 width and a Dawson fixed charger rear sight with tritium in either .125" wide or .145" wide.

Isn't Dawson notorious for being slightly oversize? I recall installing one set, and it took a lot a filing and fitting.

Site Supporter
    I prefer Dawson. I’m running either the Charger or Comp rear on all my Glocks. I have their FO fronts on my Comp guns, and a Trijicon HD on my carry guns. Give Dawson a call- they will make you a sight in whatever height/notch you want. You want tritium? Call them and they’ll make you one. I’ve got a Charger rear with tritium on my duty gun. They don’t list it as an option. I put some frog lube on them every one and a while- that’s been working well to prevent rust.

I’ve got a set of the TTI, honestly didn’t care for the fit. Super loose on more than one dovetail. Had to peen the sight dovetail pretty good to get a tight fit.

Also- the Dawson Charger rear has no sharp edges like a lot of others I’ve used. No more holes in my shirts!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Isn't Dawson notorious for being slightly oversize? I recall installing one set, and it took a lot a filing and fitting.
    I’ve installed about a dozen Dawson rears. I use a Glock sight pusher tool and they go right on. Never tried to drift them with a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I’ve installed about a dozen Dawson rears. I use a Glock sight pusher tool and they go right on. Never tried to drift them with a punch.
    Good to know, maybe I'm mis-remembering the brand I had trouble with.

Site Supporter
    Well, there go some more of my Trumpbux. Ordered a set for my new-to-me P99C, Charger rear and FO front.

I have been using them on my main practice pistols for the last 2-3 years and appreciate them. I know everybody always says "just call them", but in their case I would say the same thing. I have had to call them several times and it is not the typical customer service call experience. I have always ended up talking to the same guy (Jay?...) who knows the products very well, and is a hell of a nice guy, and very helpful. It took three tries to figure out that the rear sight on my SR1911 that looks lie a Bomar is in fact a "Kimber" pattern, so I kinda got to know Jay.
    ETA: Their www site says they are rotating staff around the virus, so might not be typical right now.

Also, if you are considering FO I will say I think theirs's are nice. The rod is big enough but not big enough to bloom (for me), also I am getting old and decided maybe three dots (not all the same color) might not be as bad as I always told everybody they were.

Also, if you buy separate fronts and rears they do not charge much if any premium to do that. I always wanted a wide notch, but these days am maybe better served buy getting those pesky dots a little closer together, and with Dawson that is easy to configure.

They also get REALLY granular on the size choices, especially on the fronts.

User Tag List