Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glocks and Limpwristing Concerns

I realize it's ridiculous to most people for me to worry about this. Maybe I've just been watching too many OiS videos of officers experiencing their Glocks jamming.

Site Supporter
    I've noticed the same thing. That said, Glock is the most commonly issued pistol in U.S. law enforcement. I suspect Glock is followed closed by the SIG 320 and the M&P. If you're going to witness a malfunction, there is a good chance it will be a a Glock, followed by the 320 or M&P (or, I guess, the FNS for those few odd departments that followed my weirdnik former agency's example).

I'd also say that the use of striker-fired pistols has increased in recent years coincident with increasing wide-spread use of dash, body-worn, and surveillance camera. We don't know if we would have seen Classic SIG, Beretta 92/96, and Smith Third Generation malfunctions if camera footage was more widespread in the eighties and nineties.

Are Glocks (or other striker pistols) more prone to limp-wristing than a SIG 226 or Beretta 92? I'll give you a cautious "maybe", but the problem is not so serious that I have any hesitation about carrying my G-29.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The one time I recall possibly having a limp wrist malfunction with a 9mm Glock was (for shits and giggles) shooting the CA POST instructor qualification where you shoot support side with both hands, behind a barricade.
    What is this Cal POST Instructor Qual course of which you speak?

I've looked at several videos with the issues mentioned - OISs with odd, seemingly un-recreateable stoppages. I think - fwiw - that it goes with an event the officer was not expecting, was not set for, and that led to a flawed grip. The flawed grip coupled with movements that can't be easily, reliably replicated on the range is what drives these.

Glock being the most common L/E pistol is likely why it is happening with them (more).

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    What is this Cal POST Instructor Qual course of which you speak?
    Here you go:

https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=43

I think it was stage 1 of the "instructor handgun qualification course"

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    I realize it's ridiculous to most people for me to worry about this. Maybe I've just been watching too many OiS videos of officers experiencing their Glocks jamming.
    How many of them were Glock 22's with x300's or TLR1's clamped on? Might not be limp wristing. I've noticed a fair few Glock malfunctions in recent shooting vids but the few I bothered to look into all seemed to be by departments using Glock 22's, which have known issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    How many of them were Glock 22's with x300's or TLR1's clamped on? Might not be limp wristing. I've noticed a fair few Glock malfunctions in recent shooting vids but the few I bothered to look into all seemed to be by departments using Glock 22's, which have known issues.

This coupled with some folks' mental gymnastics to always blame the user vs Perfection hardware has probably lead to the unfounded concerns of limp wristing. I can assure you I wasn't limp wristing my Gen 3 Glock 22 with a light and not limp wristing it without a light, but with a light it would choke about once every 3 mags on average, without a light it ran perfect.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have seen exactly one malfunction that I think could reasonably be attributed to limp wristing and it was a very petite 12 year old girl with precisely 0 experience shooting a poorly lubed P226 loaded with Winchester white box weak ass 115gr ammo. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it would not be at the top of my worry pile unless I was someone with a severely compromised grip.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    But I can't help but wonder if, should I ever have to actually use my pistol to defend myself, I might be in an unlucky enough situation where a limpwrist-type jam is likely enough to be a danger. Thoughts?
    I think you raise a valid point. What we do on a range isn't likely what it's going to be like in an actual gunfight (even with force on force training), and this is far from the first story I've heard like this in an actual shooting. I personally I tend to carry heavier guns than Glocks, not necessarily for this reason, but I'll just add it to the list.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the reply. Having fired thousands of rounds fired in such demos, what you describe simply does not occur with typical class guns in my experience.

I also use that exercise mythbust and illustrate the energy in play at the shooter and how little guns actually move.
    Jim Crews did the same demo for me in 1997.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I think you raise a valid point. What we do on a range isn't likely what it's going to be like in an actual gunfight (even with force on force training), and this is far from the first story I've heard like this in an actual shooting. I personally I tend to carry heavier guns than Glocks, not necessarily for this reason, but I'll just add it to the list.
    Heavier guns such as what? I assume the Px4 is one of them based on your picture.

User Tag List