Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 642 vs 638, trying to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    In case you didn’t see a dogpile forming:

Bodyguard for the party, Centennial for the business.

Humpbacks are ugly-handsome, but you can’t beat an enclosed hammer and DAO with boot grips for a pocket gun.
    what he said
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I don't know if 642 is available with no lock, but 442 definitely is (or was in the past and will be again - hard to say what is available right now). Definitely worth a little extra work to get the no lock version.

I also +1 on the Centennial frame due to the ability to grip higher up on the back strap.
    That would make my decision. I don’t think you can get a 638 no lock new, so that would be a nonstarter for me.

I prefer the 442 to all because I don’t have to take a marker to the rear sight, but YMMV.

Well I went and got a 642 today.
    Patience is not strong with me lately.

Trigger heavier, obliviously, but pretty smooth. Will work well for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Well I went and got a 642 today.
    Patience is not strong with me lately.

Trigger heavier, obliviously, but pretty smooth. Will work well for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.
    Congratulations, that’s a great purchase.

The trigger will smooth up with just a little bit of dry fire.

I have been wondering the same thing as the OP, and was formulating a question on the same lines.
    Going back to 1990, I've handled & shot 640s in .38 & 357, and a couple of 442/642 variants, but have never shot a model 49 (or 649), nor handled a 638.
    Can anyone school me on the handling differences between the 649 and 638? Besides weight, of course. I shoot revolvers DA almost exclusively, so I'm not really even interested in the SA feel.

All of the rental ranges I am aware of locally have Centennials for rent, but no Bodyguards, so I can't fact find that way.

DB has mentioned elsewhere how well the "high-horn" grips work with the Bodyguard humpback frame, and it intrigued me.

Thanks!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The 442-1 (178041) and 642-1 (178042) do not have the internal lock and should still be available.

I have a 642 and a 638 - they feel very similar in a coat/jacket/vest pocket.

But in the pants pocket the 642 has just a bit of edge in concealment.

I dig my 442 for pocket carry. I think you made the right choice.

Site Supporter
    Not knowing your background, good choice! I suggest a good snubby course and then shooting it in a match or two. Forget about 'winning'. Just see how you run the gun on stages set up for the great and all powerful semi. It's a hoot somwhat of a reality check on gun handling. Use a mildly load or wear gloves (of course that will get you killed on the street, your hand will thank you. You will find that you can make the same shots as well as the semi guys for accuracy on an IDPA run (IDPA, horrors, horrors!). Of course reloading is pain and count your speed loaders. You can even make the longer shots (even to the head).

I ll make this easy. The Humpback Bodyguards are the best pocket carry design out there in my opinion as far as how the ride and draw from a pocket due to shape. The Centennials are better for actually living in a pocket as far as being a sealed system without a big hole in the top for lint and stuff to get into the action. Define what is more important and that is your answer. For most, it is the ease of maintenance as pocket guns tend to become sort of like car keys as something that sits in your pocket and you forget about.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List