Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Reloader, Couple .223 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If you want H335 - the "surplus" WC844 stills seems available.

I buy a lot of "blems" and "overruns" from the Nosler Pro Shop. I have good results with their 77 Custom Competition HPBTs across multiple 223/556. I wish I could find more of their 69 Custom Competition HPBTs for my 1-9s.
    Shhhhh... don't let out the secret.

The 70 RDF shoots really well if you can seat them on the lands.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

The 70 RDF shoots really well if you can seat them on the lands.
    I have a bunch of 70RDFs and so far they just laugh at me as I try to find a load that works in a 1-9 and 1-8 twist 24 inch bolt. I am all ears!

PS - Nosler had a nice MIL Discount and fixed price shipping. I end up with all kinds of projectiles as I add 50 here and there to order when I get 77s, 123s, and 140s. I order Custom Competitions by the 1000 for 223, 6.5G and 6.5CM.

If you want H335 - the "surplus" WC844 stills seems available.
    Too late!!! Is this another one of those H110/W296 same/same deals?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    WC844 is listed as a "surplus" powder approximately equal to H335. They say use H335 data but subtract 10% and work up. I have 8 lbs but not opened yet. I plan on using for bulk 55FMJ "M193" clone loads. Should meter well through Dillon Powder Drop?

I have a bunch of 70RDFs and so far they just laugh at me as I try to find a load that works in a 1-9 and 1-8 twist 24 inch bolt. I am all ears!

I have an older Remington 700 LTR in 223, 1:9 twist that shoots sub 1/2 MOA with the 70 RDF.
    Recipe is 23.1 8208XBR (another secret ), FC brass, Tula primer, 2.36" OAL. I put five in a row on a 5" plate at 545 yards so I know it is stable that far.

Should meter well through Dillon Powder Drop?
    I would think so, but I recently have started migrating to Hornady powder measures, primarily based on my feelings and hunches, rather than science, as I mentioned here.

I have an older Remington 700 LTR in 223, 1:9 twist that shoots sub 1/2 MOA with the 70 RDF.
    I had one that I was disappointed in way back before I really understood the twist rate and bullet weight relationship. Federal GMM with the 69SMK was like sprinkling it with group reduction pixie dust.

Site Supporter
    Recipe is 23.1 8208XBR (another secret ), FC brass, Tula primer, 2.36" OAL. I put five in a row on a 5" plate at 545 yards so I know it is stable that far.
    I will try that recipe - thanks. I have a Rem 700 308 LTR FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Sort of although not really.

WC844 is a military powder that is often available as pulldown. This means it was loaded into ammo and then later recovered for whatever reason. Being that it isn't meant for the commercial reloader market, it can vary quite a bit in burn rate from lot to lot. I also wonder if this stuff is always US production.

Anyway, I have used several jugs of it over the years and have had good luck with it. But I'm using it for cost benefit and not to achieve max performance. In most cases something like 23.5 grains with a 55 or 62 FMJ gives me reliability and velocity that is close enough for blasting/training ammo.

844 is often available from Jeff Bartlett although he seems to be out of it at the moment. Jeff's website is gibrass.com

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I just ordered 500 of the Hornady 62 BTHPs - my shooting partner has great luck with these. Hope they are my go to bullet in 1-9 twist bolt guns. I use a lot of TAC in heavy bullet 223.
    I shoot those in my 1/9 bolt rifle. I think I get tighter groups but 55's work pretty well. I just shoot 55's in my Mini-14 because it doesn't seem to matter and they're cheaper. Not known for 1 MOA anyway.

My Howa 1500 HB can tell the difference tho. It's <1 MOA with the right load.

I had a good load with AR Comp but the supply seems to have gone away. I still have a few lbs. but running low. I found 8 lbs of Win 748 at a good price before the craziness started so rolling with that now. We'll see.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I just ordered 500 of the Hornady 62 BTHPs - my shooting partner has great luck with these. Hope they are my go to bullet in 1-9 twist bolt guns. I use a lot of TAC in heavy bullet 223.
    Here are some loads I've tried. SMP 735 is a surplus ball powder that is a touch faster than H335. I knew a guy that was getting out of the reloading biz and bought a whole bunch from him. Most of the time I put it in my Dillon because it flows so nice, and run a batch for the AR. Not super precision but it will surprise you.

Name:  Screenshot_20200415-210218_Drive.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  26.0 KB

User Tag List