Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Reloader, Couple .223 Questions

Site Supporter

New Reloader, Couple .223 Questions

So... I bought an RCBS Rockchuck Supreme when I was deployed. In 2007. It sat in a box all these years. I had a stash of .308 and .223 bullets, along with primers and powder. Got rid of the AR I had in 2009, finally shunked the .224 bullets and No 41 primers. When i started back in the gun thing a year and a half ago, I sold off the bulk of the .308 bullets, primers, and probably 2/3 the powder. Held onto 500 165 gr Interlock bullets, a thousand large rifle primers, and several pounds of Varget.

Fast forward, the pandemic idiocy is what finally convinced me to bust out the stuff and actually start sorting this whole reloading thing out. I now have an AR and a CZ527 Varmint in .223, figured loading for the bolt gun is a good place to start since I'm meticulous and anal retentive, and it's a good way to sort out what works and what doesn't, and what other stuff I might need (like a shell holder for the case trimmer, I don't know how I don't have one of those).

I'm reloading Fiocchi brass, starting with 55 gr VMax bullets. Rifle does well with Fiocchi factory 55 gr polymer tip, and even their 55 gr FMJ ammo. I have Hornady, Speer, and Sierra manuals, as well as the info that came in the Lee die set. Absolutely none of them give Varget as being a compressed load. I loaded up a few with 25, 25.5, and 26 gr powder. Accuracy improved greatly with the higher powder charges, velocity still low compared to factory (about 3050 vs 3315).

At this point, my knowledge on the subject suggests decreasing increments on powder charges to .2. I loaded up some more at 26.0, and was going to load 26.2 and 26.4, however at 26.2, the charge comes about midway up the neck of the case. The Hornady manual states max charge with 55 gr over Varget at 26.4, the Speer and Sierra manuals say 26.9 and 27.0. So, am I overloading to go to the max charge at 26.4? I need to get back out and shoot what I've got loaded, but need weather, etc, to cooperate.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully that all makes sense.

Also, how imperative is it to crimp for use in an AR? I do not believe I have a die that'll crimp at the moment.

Site Supporter
    I haven’t loaded a ton of .223/5.56, just enough to proof of concept that I can, but Varget is a very good powder for me in it, and IIRC the last time I loaded some with it, there was a spot on the ladder where the powder started being compressed. It was fine in my AR, though.

My notes and manuals are in the garage at the moment, and I’m in the recliner with a sleeping fur child snoring on my lap, or I’d check what loads they were. 50 or 55 grain bullets, though. So right in line with what you’re doing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I haven’t loaded a ton of .223/5.56, just enough to proof of concept that I can, but Varget is a very good powder for me in it, and IIRC the last time I loaded some with it, there was a spot on the ladder where the powder started being compressed. It was fine in my AR, though.

My notes and manuals are in the garage at the moment, and I’m in the recliner with a sleeping fur child snoring on my lap, or I’d check what loads they were. 50 or 55 grain bullets, though. So right in line with what you’re doing.
    I'd sure appreciate knowing what kind of charge you were loading to start getting a compressed load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I'd sure appreciate knowing what kind of charge you were loading to start getting a compressed load.
    Notes don’t say what load started compressing, but do indicate that I followed the Hodgdon data and loaded all the way up to 27.5c with a 55gr FMJBT. So Hodgdon, at least, acknowledges that it’s not out of line to load it with compression at the upper levels.

Apparently, I wasn’t crimping, either.

Check the Hodgdon website. It shows compressed loads across the board with lighter bullets.

Personally I'd use something like H322 or H335 with the 55 grain and save the Varget for 75/77 grain stuff.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-14-2020 at 06:09 AM.

I have gone up to 26.4 grains with generic 55-grain FMJ. If I remember correctly, velocities were around 3400 fps out of a 26" 1:12-twist barrel. Loads were very compressed, even with very careful pours. Accuracy was okay, as was 27.3 grains under a 40-grain V-Max, but velocities never settled down. The same gear produces excellent results in 6.5CM.

I discarded Hodgdon's 27-under-55-grain data, as it didn't agree with other sources, and it's referencing a flat-based bullet, which is not what I had. In any case, my velocities starting getting more erratic past 26.4, which was counter to what I wanted, so I called it quits. I'll reiterate that it's a long-ish barrel and a slow twist that shoots a good bit faster than book data, so it may or may not be applicable to your situation.

Agree w/ Tokarev--faster powders are the ticket. When the ranges re-open, I'll be experimenting with Benchmark under 60-grain Sierra TMKs out of the 1:12, which produced much improved groups but still not-great SDs with the 55-grain bulk fodder (I sorted that stuff by weight, as well). I'll have to grab some H335 to use my supply of 40-grain V-Max's with. They grouped great, just the powder was unhappy. Why I care inside of 200 yards, I have no idea, it just irks me.

Those sticks of Varget are going to leave a lot of air space (H335 is more like filling a case with sugar). I would say if you can get the bullet started you are probably just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I have gone up to 26.4 grains with generic 55-grain FMJ. If I remember correctly, velocities were around 3400 fps out of a 26" 1:12-twist barrel. Loads were very compressed, even with very careful pours. Accuracy was okay, as was 27.3 grains under a 40-grain V-Max, but velocities never settled down. The same gear produces excellent results in 6.5CM.

I discarded Hodgdon's 27-under-55-grain data, as it didn't agree with other sources, and it's referencing a flat-based bullet, which is not what I had. In any case, my velocities starting getting more erratic past 26.4, which was counter to what I wanted, so I called it quits. I'll reiterate that it's a long-ish barrel and a slow twist that shoots a good bit faster than book data, so it may or may not be applicable to your situation.

Agree w/ Tokarev--faster powders are the ticket. When the ranges re-open, I'll be experimenting with Benchmark under 60-grain Sierra TMKs out of the 1:12, which produced much improved groups but still not-great SDs with the 55-grain bulk fodder (I sorted that stuff by weight, as well). I'll have to grab some H335 to use my supply of 40-grain V-Max's with. They grouped great, just the powder was unhappy. Why I care inside of 200 yards, I have no idea, it just irks me.
    While there are a ton of people who love Varget, I gave up on it years ago when shooting lighter bullets. H335, H4895, H322, and Vihtavuori N135 have worked well for me with bullets between 40-60 grain.

55 FMJ bullets are not going to give you any kind of performance, even weight sorted. If you want a good bullet at a decent price, try the Hornady 62 BTHP that Midsouth carries. A 1:12 twist may not like that heavy of a bullet, so try the 53 Vmax which has a high BC for it's class and can be pushed hard from a long barrel.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I just ordered 500 of the Hornady 62 BTHPs - my shooting partner has great luck with these. Hope they are my go to bullet in 1-9 twist bolt guns. I use a lot of TAC in heavy bullet 223.

Anybody else experiment with any of these?
    https://www.evergladesammo.com/223-7...an-bullet.html
    When they were available they were around half want a SMK costs.

They also have a 68g:
    https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...ain_weight=208

User Tag List