Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Reloader, Couple .223 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I'm learning on the fly where I have to measure powder at, like I can't do it at the kitchen table, it's too wobbly. So my ass has to stand at the rock solid island to measure powder. I'm hoping that the next set will be more consistent with velocities because of it, and then learning how my scale likes to play.

I'm going to get some loaded up and hopefully it's not freaking windy tomorrow so I can go shoot it.
    Not .223/5.56-specific, but loading in the kitchen is setting yourself up to literally be eating lead later on. You want that process as far from your food as possible (preferably in a garage/basement/similar) in order to minimize contamination potential. (That goes double for the tumbling/media separation part of the process, especially if you're dry tumbling.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Not .223/5.56-specific, but loading in the kitchen is setting yourself up to literally be eating lead later on. You want that process as far from your food as possible (preferably in a garage/basement/similar) in order to minimize contamination potential. (That goes double for the tumbling/media separation part of the process, especially if you're dry tumbling.)
    What contamination potential is possible by seating primers, belling and charging cases, and seating bullets at the kitchen table as shown below? I use towels to cover the table and wipe up spilled items immediately.
    I process once fired brass in the shed (sizing, recapping, dry vibratory cleaning).
    Too hot now here in VA to work out there.
    My brass prep is a spring/fall activity.Name:  4937FB1C-0870-4A62-AE8B-220026DBDF73.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  35.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    What contamination potential is possible by seating primers, belling and charging cases, and seating bullets at the kitchen table as shown below? I use towels to cover the table and wipe up spilled items immediately.
    I process once fired brass in the shed (sizing, recapping, dry vibratory cleaning).
    Too hot now here in VA to work out there.
    My brass prep is a spring/fall activity.Name:  4937FB1C-0870-4A62-AE8B-220026DBDF73.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  35.8 KB
    Sounds like you're mitigating the risk pretty well, but even post-tumbling, brass is covered with lead residue, so I don't let it anywhere near areas where food is or will be present. I certainly notice my fingers covered in black crud and tumbler dust after handling it, anyway. It's possible that I'm overly cautious, but ingesting lead is bad news.

Seems like wet tumbling would be a posative change also.

ETA: If it is too hot to load in the shed laying on the side they would probably be dry overnight.

As someone who suffers from lead poisoning and its shitty effects I would highly recommend not doing any reloading anywhere in your house, especially where you cook and eat. Most especially if you have children in the home. I forget but young ones have a higher skin absorption rate through the skin than adults up to a certain age and they go hand to mouth quite often. Ingestion or inhalation is more of a factor, at least that is what I was lead to believe by the Doc and that makes sense. Either way it's best to avoid contamination inside the home. Just my .02.

D-Lead is your friend, I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe it was already mentioned but there is even a laundry soap for it. I soak my range clothes in it as a prewash, use it to decon my respirator, etc. You could use it as a wipe down for the area you're loading in if you must use the kitchen. If you use the soap to help decon I would certainly rinse and wipe clean thoroughly after de-leading the area.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Sounds like you're mitigating the risk pretty well, but even post-tumbling, brass is covered with lead residue, so I don't let it anywhere near areas where food is or will be present. I certainly notice my fingers covered in black crud and tumbler dust after handling it, anyway. It's possible that I'm overly cautious, but ingesting lead is bad news.
    It might be a good idea to get a lead level test when I go for my physical in September.
    I do wash with cold water after handling ammo or components.

@deputyG23 do you have a single stage or progressive as well?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I use an old single stage Pacific O-7 press.
    I got a used Dillon 550 in my estate sale buy last fall with about ten conversion sets but haven’t even messed with it yet.
    Need a strong mount and possibly a factory refurb to get it up to speed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I use an old single stage Pacific O-7 press mounted on my shed workbench.
    I got a used Dillon 550 in my estate sale buy last fall with about ten conversion sets but haven’t even messed with it yet.
    Need a strong mount and possibly a factory refurb to get it up to speed.
    Will probably still do brass processing on the O-7 and perform the rest of the steps on the progressive once I get it up and running.

User Tag List