Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I’d be happy to respond...

I’d be happy to respond...

Are there actually any successful high-level MMA competitors that are members on this forum? Just curious.

MMA is a sport, not a methodology. When someone says they “train in MMA”, that can mean a whole lot of different things. My neighbor owns a cross-fit gym and says she “trains in kickboxing” and often touts her ability to defend herself. What she actually does is very similar to Tae-bo with a little bit of nontechnical pad work thrown in. I met a cop awhile back who told me he trains in BJJ and invited me to stop by the school and I did. They devoted very little time to working from a standing position due to the “dangers and the liability involved” and gave absolutely no consideration to strike defense since they didn’t allow it. The instructor was actually a successful MMA fighter in the 1990’s and legitimate Rickson Gracie black belt, yet this is what he was teaching his students(including several LEO’s) who probably think they have a high level of self-defense preparedness.

When someone makes a distinction between sport and self-defense, it doesn’t become a this or that proposition, but that is often the perception. Pointing out potential limitations of someone who trains only according to a sport-based model doesn’t mean they are advocating for dismissing it entirely and resorting to relying solely on theoretical eye pokes and groin kicks.

My focus is self-defense although I do draw heavily from various combat sports since they offer testing and trial against fully resisting, uncooperative opponents and specific elements have been developed to a very high degree in the various combat sports, but understand that consideration of the different context will often require changes and you may decide it’s prudent to only draw upon certain specific elements.

Two professional MMA fighters meeting in the cage have symmetric goals and mindset. They both want to win the match according to the designated rules and won’t devote training time to things that won’t help them meet that goal. Sport methodology is often unrealistic due to it taking the asymmetrical goal of practical self-defense into the symmetrical goal of winning a match between two consenting competitors engaged in a contest that has a prearranged format of which they know all the rules and whom they are fighting. The start, tempo and conclusion are very artificial and don’t really have much in common with most violent assaults. That doesn’t mean a pro-fighter will be ill-prepared, just that that he himself could be much better prepared(judged against himself) for a much broader range of possible scenarios. Plus, an armed citizen with a good understanding of the various aspects of self-defense will see and have different and better options available to them(getting into integrated skills) compared to an MMA who isn’t and is effectively limited.

If kicks and stomps on a downed opponent are prohibited in the rules, then it doesn’t make much sense for an MMA fighter to become very adept at dumping or creating separation and positioning on a downed opponent to set up kicking or stomping them from a standing position, but we know that’s very effective from the Pride years, not to mention the countless street altercations we see caught on video. Having those skills gives you greater options for finishing a fight while staying mobile, which is generally a good thing while out and about. That’s why “if we don’t see it in the cage, it doesn’t work” is so shortsighted. In terms of the much ridiculed eye gouge, it’s just another option/tool you can (generally have to)use in conjunction with other techniques, but still a very good one in many circumstances. And they seem pretty effective to me based on the MMA guys that I’ve seen utilizing them by slightly modifying and piggybacking on what they already do despite “not being to train them” directly.

All self-defense training involves a high degree of theory and that is true no matter how pressure-tested you
    believe your methods are or how realistic you may think your particular simulations may be, although I do think you can make reasonable conclusions if you take that into account, which many seem like they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    Are there actually any successful high-level MMA competitors that are members on this forum? Just curious.
    The PA state athletic commission thinks so since they recognize me as a professional MMA fighter and boxer. I have fought on 12 different pro cards for several organizations, in several different states.

MMA is a sport, not a methodology. When someone says they “train in MMA”, that can mean a whole lot of different things. My neighbor owns a cross-fit gym and says she “trains in kickboxing” and often touts her ability to defend herself. What she actually does is very similar to Tae-bo with a little bit of nontechnical pad work thrown in.
    By definition, MMA is certainly a methodology. Mentioning CrossFit or cardio kickboxing isn’t exactly relevant in this conversation.

I met a cop awhile back who told me he trains in BJJ and invited me to stop by the school and I did. They devoted very little time to working from a standing position due to the “dangers and the liability involved” and gave absolutely no consideration to strike defense since they didn’t allow it. The instructor was actually a successful MMA fighter in the 1990’s and legitimate Rickson Gracie black belt, yet this is what he was teaching his students(including several LEO’s) who probably think they have a high level of self-defense preparedness.
    Okay, so you took one class and assume that their entire curriculum is like your single experience? That is a pretty ridiculous assumption. There are times to work on your guard, submissions, defense, takedowns, etc. I am not sure what your point was here.

When someone makes a distinction between sport and self-defense, it doesn’t become a this or that proposition, but that is often the perception. Pointing out potential limitations of someone who trains only according to a sport-based model doesn’t mean they are advocating for dismissing it entirely and resorting to relying solely on theoretical eye pokes and groin kicks.

My focus is self-defense although I do draw heavily from various combat sports since they offer testing and trial against fully resisting, uncooperative opponents and specific elements have been developed to a very high degree in the various combat sports, but understand that consideration of the different context will often require changes and you may decide it’s prudent to only draw upon certain specific elements.

Two professional MMA fighters meeting in the cage have symmetric goals and mindset. They both want to win the match according to the designated rules and won’t devote training time to things that won’t help them meet that goal. Sport methodology is often unrealistic due to it taking the asymmetrical goal of practical self-defense into the symmetrical goal of winning a match between two consenting competitors engaged in a contest that has a prearranged format of which they know all the rules and whom they are fighting. The start, tempo and conclusion are very artificial and don’t really have much in common with most violent assaults. That doesn’t mean a pro-fighter will be ill-prepared, just that that he himself could be much better prepared(judged against himself) for a much broader range of possible scenarios. Plus, an armed citizen with a good understanding of the various aspects of self-defense will see and have different and better options available to them(getting into integrated skills) compared to an MMA who isn’t and is effectively limited.
    Why do you assume MMA fighters do not train for self-defense? We train a variety of martial arts individually then put them together in a competition. We are not limited by our training, we purposely limit ourselves during competition and exclude certain things that would be extremely successful, like head butts. What special technique keeps a far superior wrestler from taking you down and elbowing you into the pavement?

If kicks and stomps on a downed opponent are prohibited in the rules, then it doesn’t make much sense for an MMA fighter to become very adept at dumping or creating separation and positioning on a downed opponent to set up kicking or stomping them from a standing position, but we know that’s very effective from the Pride years, not to mention the countless street altercations we see caught on video. Having those skills gives you greater options for finishing a fight while staying mobile, which is generally a good thing while out and about. That’s why “if we don’t see it in the cage, it doesn’t work” is so shortsighted. In terms of the much ridiculed eye gouge, it’s just another option/tool you can (generally have to)use in conjunction with other techniques, but still a very good one in many circumstances. And they seem pretty effective to me based on the MMA guys that I’ve seen utilizing them by slightly modifying and piggybacking on what they already do despite “not being to train them” directly.
    Are you routinely sparring and kicking/stomping on your training partner’s head? Why do you believe an MMA fighter is unable to adapt to the situation and kick someone in the face?

All self-defense training involves a high degree of theory and that is true no matter how pressure-tested you
    believe your methods are or how realistic you may think your particular simulations may be, although I do think you can make reasonable conclusions if you take that into account, which many seem like they do not.
    Again, professional fighters are not limited by the training. We limit ourselves during competition to meet the rules. Can a competition shooter not adapt to a self defense scenario?

When is the last time you fought professionally? Just curious.

The way this thread has morphed reminds me of this video...

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

That made me laugh out loud. I love both those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

While very entertaining, people need to pay close attention at 1:50.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    The PA state athletic commission thinks so since they recognize me as a professional MMA fighter and boxer. I have fought on 12 different pro cards for several organizations, in several different states.
    Awesome, how about posting links to some your fights.

Awesome, how about posting links to some your fights.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    No.
    Why not? You claim to be an elite professional MMA fighter, so what’s the problem.

Why not? You claim to be an elite professional MMA fighter, so what’s the problem.
    Why don't you practice what you preach and come off the X, Mister X? You pull the same crap here and on the S&W forum. You want to preserve your anonymity? Respect others.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

PERSEC, bruh.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List