Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy destroyer Capt fired after lying about being dead in the water

Unlike the TR incident, this is a true failure of accountability and leadership; it should definitely be thoroughly investigated, especially since it appears the crew was concerned about this issue...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Somebody explain this to me..What was the big deal with the Captain not calling in and saying he had to stop for repairs? I don’t understand..
    Lying is a big deal. So is lying about readiness. If the report is accurate, this calls out for an Article 133 charge.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I served under three CO's during my service. The first was adequate and more of a hobby sailor than anything else, as he was also the CEO of a computer company. Not impressive, but not a walking charlie foxtrot either. The second was a complete piece of shit. Third generation Navy who looked at the crew as if they were part of the machinery. We lost a crewman at sea during his tenure and it was covered up for "the good of the service". His punishment was that he never made flag rank. This was long before the internet and social media, so things could be and often were covered up to save the right persons ass. That incident is still covered in Navy boot camp today in survival training and the story they tell is still bullshit. My third CO hadn't had a stellar career. You don't get your one and only sea command, a frigate no less, right at the tale end of your career, if you're a standout. He was a crazy bastard, but he turned out to be a great CO and an awesome sailor who really had the crews back. He was at the end of his career and he really didn't have anyone to impress, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

I'm sure the CO did what he did out of fear it would reflect negatively on his fitness report. I'd suspect there was more to the story and this may have been the latest in a line of performance concerns. The fact that the crew ratted him out is an indicator of this. If he'd had a rep like the Roosevelts CO among the crew, I could see everyone keeping mum about it, but they didn't, so he probably didn't. In our modern interconnected age, I don't see how people think these things will stay quiet. Everything from something like this to a video of ground pounders pissing on enemy corpses, etc. All it takes is one person clicking send and you're through.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Unlike the TR incident, this is a true failure of accountability and leadership; it should definitely be thoroughly investigated, especially since it appears the crew was concerned about this issue...
    If keeping 3000 60 year-olds quarantined on a cruise ship is the right move for public safety, why is keeping 4,000 25 year-olds quarantined on a carrier so egregious? This would seem like the best move for public safety, even if at the expense of those onboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    If keeping 3000 60 year-olds quarantined on a cruise ship is the right move for public safety, why is keeping 4,000 25 year-olds quarantined on a carrier so egregious? This would seem like the best move for public safety, even if at the expense of those onboard.
    Readiness. “Public safety” is best served by keeping the carrier operational.

An aircraft carrier is not a cruise ship, it’s a strategic military asset and must be operational to respond to hostile actions by foreign powers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Readiness. “Public safety” is best served by keeping the carrier operational.

An aircraft carrier is not a cruise ship, it’s a strategic military asset and must be operational to respond to hostile actions by foreign powers.
    All the more reason to keep it at sea instead of empty docked in Guam, no? It seems to me like the TR captain threw a little hissy fit because he didn't like his orders - not because his orders were unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    According to the investigation, Cmdr. John “Bob” Bowen, the Decatur’s commanding officer . . .
    In my Navy, nobody named John who insisted on being called Bob (or vice versa) would be given command of anything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    All the more reason to keep it at sea instead of empty docked in Guam, no? It seems to me like the TR captain threw a little hissy fit because he didn't like his orders - not because his orders were unreasonable.
    They could have quietly pulled off /swapped out crew to keep things going. Instead the SECNAV tried to ignore the situation like the Chicoms did back in November and we know how well that worked out.

"If keeping 3000 60 year-olds quarantined on a cruise ship is the right move for public safety, why is keeping 4,000 25 year-olds quarantined on a carrier so egregious?"
    Seriously???

Neither is ideal, but if you have ever actually seen the enlisted berthing spaces on a Naval vessel and compared them with single family state rooms on a cruise ship, you know the answer to this question....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Lying is a big deal. So is lying about readiness. If the report is accurate, this calls out for an Article 133 charge.
    Absolutely, and Falsifying a Government Document at the minimum. I watched a guy lose a stripe and a month's pay just for leaving a name out of a Duty NCO logbook. A ship's log with position reports strikes me as a lot more important.

I have only fired one person after they made a mistake. And that was because it was caused by deliberate indifference to consequences - not because it was a mistake. But I am sure I have burned at least a half-dozen people for lying.

Mistakes happen, and they are usually part of learning. If you never allow people to make mistakes, they never have a chance to learn. My very favorite Admiral of all time, Chester Nimitz, ran a cruiser aground as a young officer. But he learned from that.

A zero-defect military is also a zero-learning military. You never, ever lie to the boss about the important shit. Bad news never gets better with age, and it sure as hell never gets better hidden under a rug.

User Tag List