Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy destroyer Capt fired after lying about being dead in the water

Navy destroyer Capt fired after lying about being dead in the water

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ships-position

he captain of the San Diego-based guided-missile destroyer Decatur was removed from command in January for filing false position reports to the Navy, according to a Navy investigation recently obtained by the Union-Tribune.

According to the investigation, Cmdr. John “Bob” Bowen, the Decatur’s commanding officer, ordered his crew in September not to report that the ship had gone dead in the water.

The ship had stopped to conduct maintenance on one of its propeller shafts while transiting the eastern Pacific from Hawaii to Seal Beach, California.
    #RESIST

Trump did it! And invented Corona Virus!

OK, now that I've beaten all the haters to the punch, not sure what the Skipper thought was going to happen in this circumstance. Two people can keep a secret only is one of them is dead. Sounds like a half dozen folks were required to make this "work" - so I don't disagree with 3rd Fleet's loss of confidence in the CDR. As one of my first Company Commanders was fond of saying "Integrity isn't a hat you can take on and off."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Courts-martial to follow, maybe?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Courts-martial to follow, maybe?
    I wouldn't be surprised, this is pretty bad.
    #RESIST

Somebody explain this to me..What was the big deal with the Captain not calling in and saying he had to stop for repairs? I don’t understand..

I’m curious what the the Captain thought the consequences of honesty would have been in order to choose a path that anyone with a modicum of common sense would think was going to lead to being relieved of command at the minimum.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Somebody explain this to me..What was the big deal with the Captain not calling in and saying he had to stop for repairs? I don’t understand..
    A classic case of the cover up being worse than the crime. Not enough detail to say for sure but having to stop to make repairs would likely have reflected negatively somehow on the captains ratings or fitness report. Whatever the consequences of that would’ve been I’m sure they pale in comparison to what’s going to happen now.

He lied about it.

If called upon in an emergency and he couldn't complete his assignment because of his not ready state, expose was there for bad things to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Trump did it! And invented Corona Virus!

OK, now that I've beaten all the haters to the punch, not sure what the Skipper thought was going to happen in this circumstance. Two people can keep a secret only is one of them is dead. Sounds like a half dozen folks were required to make this "work" - so I don't disagree with 3rd Fleet's loss of confidence in the CDR. As one of my first Company Commanders was fond of saying "Integrity isn't a hat you can take on and off."
    Yeah, the only group of people that big that can keep a secret would be Fight Club. And you know what they say about it

cc

PACFLEET worries me.

User Tag List