Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing .380 out of 9mm Revolver

Hammertime

Firing .380 out of 9mm Revolver

This may be a completely stupid and ignorant question, but would it be harmful to fire .380 out of a 9mm revolver?

I understand the ballistic reasons why 9mm is superior, etc but wonder if .380 out of a 9mm wouldn’t be a really sweet low recoil shooting experience. Similar to how the various .32 revolver cartridges can be fired from the same gun.

Hammertime
    I may have answered my own question but not sure.

The automatic cartridges have the same bullet diameter, but headspace off the case mouth. While .380 would fall in, the cartridge would be too deep for primer ignition. And it would slip around in the chamber. If it was held by moon clips, there would be some damage possibly to the chamber at where it necks down for the 9mm length cartridge. Probably a bad idea.

The .32 cartridges all headspace off the rim so the chamber is the same diameter regardless of the length of the cartridge and they can all share the same gun.

I would definitely like anyone with expertise to jump in here to confirm or correct this.

The case head is slightly smaller on the .380. There are more dimensional differences than the .380 just being shorter. It won't work and it's stupid.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    would it be harmful to fire .380 out of a 9mm revolver?
    There are enough dimensional differences that I'm not sure it would be easy to load the moon clips or get reliable ignition.
    https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

I have seen enough 380 Auto fired from 9x19mm auto-loading pistols to believe it might be possible in some instances.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbnS30TV7o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOa...&index=36&t=0s

I think 45 GAP might work in a 45 Auto revolver with moon clips in a pinch, however.

Site Supporter
    This may be a completely stupid and ignorant question, but would it be harmful to fire .380 out of a 9mm revolver?

I understand the ballistic reasons why 9mm is superior, etc but wonder if .380 out of a 9mm wouldn’t be a really sweet low recoil shooting experience. Similar to how the various .32 revolver cartridges can be fired from the same gun.
    If you had a press and 9mm dies, you could make .380 level 9mm loads for this. Or if you had a friend willing to play with this. This would be very easy, actually. Use a 90-100gr .355 bullet intended primarily for the .380 and appropriate powder data for the .380, but use 9x19 cases the gun is actually chambered for, and you’d be set. They likely wouldn’t run all semiautos, but you’d be using factory loads for that and reserving these exclusively for your LCR, so that wouldn’t really matter.

I reload for my 642 making loads that are essentially .380 power so I can enjoy shooting it and tolerate more rounds through it per practice session. Made up 100 of them last night, as a matter of fact. Basically the same thing you’re talking about here.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you had a press and 9mm dies, you could make .380 level 9mm loads for this. Or if you had a friend willing to play with this. This would be very easy, actually. Use a 90-100gr .355 bullet intended primarily for the .380 and appropriate powder data for the .380, but use 9x19 cases the gun is actually chambered for, and you’d be set. They likely wouldn’t run all semiautos, but you’d be using factory loads for that and reserving these exclusively for your LCR, so that wouldn’t really matter.

I reload for my 642 making loads that are essentially .380 power so I can enjoy shooting it and tolerate more rounds through it per practice session. Made up 100 of them last night, as a matter of fact. Basically the same thing you’re talking about here.
    That is pretty cool. I really like the gun, but firing it is obnoxious with full power 9mm IMO. I feel the same pretty much about the .38 LCR and J Frames, but you can get some really weak .38 loads.

Site Supporter
    That is pretty cool. I really like the gun, but firing it is obnoxious with full power 9mm IMO. I feel the same pretty much about the .38 LCR and J Frames, but you can get some really weak .38 loads.
    The loads I made last night are 105gr lead flat nose over 2.8 gr Bullseye. Basically same powder charge as a 148gr wadcutter, but essentially a 1/3 lighter bullet. I regularly use 125 gr lead flat nose for similar purposes, and am going through my first box of these 105s. I use anything from 2.5-3.5 gr Bullseye and comparable Clays loads with them, depending on the intended use, frame size/weight, and barrel length. I’ve gone as light as 2.0 grains, but only with the 105gr bullet, and those are only for short barrels, nothing over 3”.

Light loads are funny to shoot through a heavier gun. The 2.8gr/105 loads through a 6” N frame are like shooting a .22.

Site Supporter
    If you want a factory option, Atlanta Arms makes some reduced recoil 100 gr 9mm loads. No experience with them so this is not a recommendation just an FYI.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    If you want a factory option, Atlanta Arms makes some reduced recoil 100 gr 9mm loads. No experience with them so this is not a recommendation just an FYI.
    Much appreciated!

Somehow the Medusa made it work
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List