Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ID 357 Pro Series.

Help ID 357 Pro Series.

My mom keeps this in a drawer in her office. Right now it has 357s in it. What 38 round would be best for lower recoil and maintain adequate terminal performance?

Obviously it's a Smith and Wesson 357 Pro Series. Can anyone tell me what model? I haven't shot it, but I dig the size I think.

Name:  20200416_160444.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  64.2 KBName:  20200416_160529.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  57.3 KBName:  20200416_160609.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  33.6 KB

Thanks guys.

-Cory

Looks like the Model 60 Pro. I’ve always thought they were neat little guns and have thought about picking one up but haven’t yet. They are a j-frame with a 3” barrel and some additional work to make it a pro model. As far as ammo goes, I think the usual suggestions are Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38 Special +p and Winchester Ranger Bonded 130 for .38 special +p.
    Full wadcutters like Federal 148gr Gold Medal Match should shoot pretty soft in it. I’m currently using Precision One .38 Special wadcutters (https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...48gr-cpwc-new/) in my 442.

Site Supporter
    If you look on the frame inside the milled recess for the cylinder crane you can see where its stamped as a model 60-15

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    If you look on the frame inside the milled recess for the cylinder crane you can see where its stamped as a model 60-15
    I didn't know that was a model. Is that where most models are marked? I thought models were all 3 digit numbers like 442, 637, and stuff like that. I feel kind of dumb now. I just seriously don't know much about revolvers. I'm trying to slowly learn.

-Cory

Here is a good primer on .38 and .357 S&W revolvers:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/g...357-revolvers/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I didn't know that was a model. Is that where most models are marked? I thought models were all 3 digit numbers like 442, 637, and stuff like that. I feel kind of dumb now. I just seriously don't know much about revolvers. I'm trying to slowly learn.

-Cory
    Yes sir. In my limited experience with S&W they are marked there. I'm at the edge of my lane here but the newer models tend to be 3 digits. Older are two. Revisions are noted by the number following the hyphen.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    We appear to be discussing one of these:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...eries-model-60
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Your mom is well equipped.

I would certainly agree with your idea to put some less painful ammo in it for her. @jws gave good advice there.

Your mom might benefit from some softer rubber grips too, and some dry fire practice with dummy rounds.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Right now a quick search on ammo seek shows only SG ammo with the Gold Dot short barrel in stock.

Unfortunately they only have cases of 200 listed, and not 20 round boxes. I wonder if they'll break up a case for you.

Or if you've got the dough to spare, having 200 rounds of that on hand isn't a bad thing.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List