Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuances in grip

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    I need a pic!
    They are worth a thousand words...although not the best photographer, basically the area that I marked in pen is the area I try to chop up under the trigger guard. If I hit the knuckle, I just slide over and drive on.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    They are worth a thousand words...although not the best photographer, basically the area that I marked in pen is the area I try to chop up under the trigger guard. If I hit the knuckle, I just slide over and drive on.

I appreciate the pic! For a moment, I was having Travis Haley flashbacks....

on a more serious note, do you find it is easier to position your support hand index finger on a 1911 trigger guard v say a glock trigger guard?

Thanks for the fantastic responses so far.

I index under the trigger guard as well in about the same spot as 45dotACP has shown (also very tight up against the strong hand fingers). If I start from this position, the press-out and grip formation is very natural; I have a lot of reps ingrained there. What I’m still finding to be a challenge is the ability to consistently hit that index from the draw when I’m running at the limits of my current ability. That’s my current sticking point and I need a lot more dry-fire reps to push through it.

For the last 4-5 years I’ve done something similar to what Gio described – I’ve applied the thumb-meat of my support hand hard into the gun and have used and upward/outward torque of my elbows to help. I’ve found this works well with Glocks (my primary focus) and I believe the more aggressive grip angle plays a part; guns such as the P320 or Beretta with their more neutral grip angles don’t seem to fit me as well. As noted above though, I’m primarily getting the thumb and area directly under it on the palm only of my support hand onto the gun.

One thing I’ve recently been playing around with is changing the areas of my support hand that interface with the gun by bringing my elbows more down rather than out. When I do that, I get more of the palm of my hand at the wrist onto the gun:

I need to the range to see how the gun behaves but on guns such as the PX4 (and probably the P320) this seems to work pretty well. It allows a little more contact with the gun and the bent elbows naturally result in locked wrists to properly align the sights. Will be curious to see if this makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post

One thing I’ve recently been playing around with is changing the areas of my support hand that interface with the gun by bringing my elbows more down rather than out. When I do that, I get more of the palm of my hand at the wrist onto the gun:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Mike Seeklander advocates elbows down....

Good thread. Following with interest.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    I appreciate the pic! For a moment, I was having Travis Haley flashbacks....

on a more serious note, do you find it is easier to position your support hand index finger on a 1911 trigger guard v say a glock trigger guard?
    Haha well just trying to dynamically operate.

I actually had a very hard time getting jiggy with the 1911 because the grip was so much thinner. It was nowhere near as forgiving as my Glocks or Berettas in terms of shooting at speed from the draw. But that's without doing the whole "Judy chop" thing.

I haven't really drawn anything non-1911 from a holster since the Tim Herron class earlier this year so I probably couldn't comment on whether a thicker trigger guard makes a difference, but I'd bet it doesn't. I know my draw speed with a 1911 really isn't great compared to when I was clocking my draws with a G34, but that's probably more a function of practice.

User Tag List