Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SPRs, Mk12s, Recces, SDMRs and SAM-Rs, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How about a SAM-R, @Sensei?
    Good question. The pictured BCM build is really a hybrid of the Army’s SDM-R and Marine SAM-R. I began building it about 15 years ago but finished within the past 3 years in its final configuration with the following specs:

20", 1:8 stainless steel Douglas fluted match barrel finished with three coats of Moly-Resin, match-grade, two-stage KAC trigger, Daniel Defense ultra lightweight free-float forearm rail, Harris bipod, MATech back-up iron sight, BCM bolt carrier group, BCM lower.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I keep wanting to get a MK12 and actually build out one of my virgin lowers. Always waffling on which "mod" to build. Also looking at precision 5.56 ammo cost makes me wonder if its worth it when I have a 6.5 CM already...

The historical aspect of the mk12 is just awesome though... centurion would be my first stop for a complete upper.
    I waffled on whether to build an MSSR or a Recce'ish Mk12 Mod 1 (which I obviously ended up going with).

I had a roommate and friend during my time in the Marines who became a Filipino Marine Recon guy, and he had positive things to say about their use of the MSSR. Unfortunately he was KIA fighting Islamic extremists, leaving behind a pregnant wife. I might still build one just to have, who knows.

What's interesting is that the Filipino MSSR predates the Mk12, SAM-R and SDM-R. Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    SENSEI BE FLEXIN!!!!!!!

Really cool rifles, thanks for sharing!
    Flexing on us poors.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Mid-range ARs of various flavors.
    What's the general consensus as to what is considered "mid-range"? 200 to 600 yards against an IPSC?

You guys need to stop spending my money.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What's the general consensus as to what is considered "mid-range"? 200 to 600 yards against an IPSC?
    That sounds about right.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I define mid-range as what I can consistently hit with a 20” barrel and irons or an ACOG - roughly 400ish meters. Some (ie Marines) would extend that out to 500 meters, but my skill with irons rapidly falls off beyond 300 meters unless I have an ACOG which takes me out to 500. Anything beyond that and I want 8 or 10X of magnification which I consider to be long range. Again, this is a reflection of my abilities and there are probably a bunch of people on this forum who grew up in the Marines where 500 meters were their standard with irons and who will smoke me with an A4. I consider close range anything under 100 meters.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

That's pretty much my definition. 2-600, a skilled shooter might be able to squeeze 7-800 on a good day or with a more capable cartridge.

And for anyone waffling, accurate semi-auto 5.56 guns are super fun if you haven't had the pleasure. They make for great prairie dog killing guns too!

Site Supporter
    BCM 18" SS Upper. BCM LPK (like their trigger). SWFA SS Ultralight 2.5-10 with BDC reticle (for 55gr 5.56) in a Bobro mount and Magpul PRO backups.

Very light, 1 MOA at 100 with wolf gold for me, but no real accuracy testing.

Name:  IMG_20191206_180831.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  94.6 KB

SPRs, Mk12s, Recces, SDMRs and SAM-Rs, oh my!

When 600 yds isn’t enough...

Alexander Arms 16.5” midlength “Incursion” 6.5 Grendel upper. Burris XTRii 3-15x50 on ADM Recon mount. Palmetto rifle lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger. Seekins Procomp 10X stock. 9.5lbs w/o TBAC Ultra 7 6.5 suppressor.

1110 yds, 24x24” target. 8-10mph wind. The 2 smaller hits near center are the Grendel, using 123gr SMK and 28.3gr 8208XBR at 2450fps.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List