Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: SPRs, Mk12s, Recces, SDMRs and SAM-Rs, oh my!

Upgraded to the Credo 3-9 and added DF Surefire. Sub moa blaster. The East India Upper is pretty impressive from SOLGW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Here are mine. #1 is my "heavy RECCE" , #2 is my "light RECCE".

1. DSG 16" .223 Wylde match grade upper (Ballistic Advantage barrel), Vortex Viper PST 2 1-6x in a Warn XSKEL mount, LaRue MBT2s trigger. Harris SBRM-1 with Podloc. Furniture is VLTOR EMOD and LaRue APEG PG.

2. Aero 16" .223 Wylde upper (Ballistic Advantage barrel) , Vortex Viper PST 1-4x in an ADM QD mount, ALG ACT trigger, arisaka handstop. Furniture is Mapgul ACS-L and K2 PG.

I also have a 3rd heavy barreled AR with a 6-24 Vortex Viper on it, but not sure if that qualified for this thread as it is not really "tactical/practical"
    Same guns, two years later... my taste in optics and accessories has evolved.

notably, I sold the assembled 16" Aero upper from photo #2. it was reliable and shot very well but wanted something nicer. Was replaced with the 16" sionics seen here that I had cut to 14.5" and pinned/welded for a YHM Phantom. Just got the cerakoted Turbo K in yesterday. Optic was upgraded to a Razor 1-6.

Top rifle has a Trijicon Credo 2-10x and an offset Holosun 507k. Same upper as photo #1. Can is a YHM Turbo. Overall reasonably light, the VFG is a must for use offhand.

I liked the recce concept so much that I eventually wound up with a little one:

Upper is a midwest industries Nightfighter with a 11.5" Criterion CORE barrel. Very satisfied with it, but between the 46M and the handguard it is very heavy. However the combo is very quiet and very accurate with minimal blowback... I've opted to just keep eating my Wheaties.

Also finally put together a true SPR... purchased an assembled White Oak Armament 16" SPR upper. Had them install a SA adjustable GB for a small extra fee. Plays very nicely with the Resonator I have mounted to it. Optic is a Vortex Viper PST2 3-15. Heavy, but both the upper and the glass are screaming values for their price point.

Magnified optics are fun, especially out here where I have the opportunity to shoot 5.56 to its max effective range and then some when I am out on the range.

I have a couple with reflex optics, but I can't say I enjoy shooting them as much as I do these. The mountain west is a natural place for the Recce in particular; as a native New Englander, I've come to appreciate the flexibility of a magnified optics in the big outdoors.

A work in progress

Name:  20220725_080457.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  99.6 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    A work in progress

Name:  20220725_080457.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  99.6 KB
    I like it.

Same guns, two years later... my taste in optics and accessories has evolved.

notably, I sold the assembled 16" Aero upper from photo #2. it was reliable and shot very well but wanted something nicer. Was replaced with the 16" sionics seen here that I had cut to 14.5" and pinned/welded for a YHM Phantom. Just got the cerakoted Turbo K in yesterday. Optic was upgraded to a Razor 1-6.

Top rifle has a Trijicon Credo 2-10x and an offset Holosun 507k. Same upper as photo #1. Can is a YHM Turbo. Overall reasonably light, the VFG is a must for use offhand.

I liked the recce concept so much that I eventually wound up with a little one:

Upper is a midwest industries Nightfighter with a 11.5" Criterion CORE barrel. Very satisfied with it, but between the 46M and the handguard it is very heavy. However the combo is very quiet and very accurate with minimal blowback... I've opted to just keep eating my Wheaties.

Also finally put together a true SPR... purchased an assembled White Oak Armament 16" SPR upper. Had them install a SA adjustable GB for a small extra fee. Plays very nicely with the Resonator I have mounted to it. Optic is a Vortex Viper PST2 3-15. Heavy, but both the upper and the glass are screaming values for their price point.

Magnified optics are fun, especially out here where I have the opportunity to shoot 5.56 to its max effective range and then some when I am out on the range.

I have a couple with reflex optics, but I can't say I enjoy shooting them as much as I do these. The mountain west is a natural place for the Recce in particular; as a native New Englander, I've come to appreciate the flexibility of a magnified optics in the big outdoors.

I’m running a razor 1-6 and a 6 year old Sons East India 11.5 upper. I’ve been eyeing the Criterion stuff for a long time. How are you liking the 11.5?

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    I’m running a razor 1-6 and a 6 year old Sons East India 11.5 upper. I’ve been eyeing the Criterion stuff for a long time. How are you liking the 11.5?

Assuming I didn’t get scammed, I should have a like new upper with their 12.5 barrel arriving towards the end of next week. I don’t know when I’ll be able to shoot it but if it performs how I expect based on other reviews, I’ll probably throw my Razor 1-10 on it for the Green Ops LPVO course in VA in early SEP. Will definitely post thoughts once I get to play around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post

Really like it. Only thing bugging me was it was kind of front heavy with the hybrid 46M. Just rearranged suppressors on my guns to replace with the resonator R2 that was living on my SPR. Adds maybe 1/2” but shaves about 4 oz.

It also meant I could assemble the 46M in its full size configuration with the 223 end cap I have sitting around. My fixed gas 11.5 wouldn’t tolerate that level of back pressure but should be no problem with the adjustable gas on my SPR. Plus given how gigantic this thing is, should be extremely quiet with the new smaller end cap too.

"Adding" another SPR type rifle to my stable. Now that I have a few rifle suppressors, my 20" RRA Predator Pursuit was languishing in the safe. Has a really nice 5-25 PST 2 on it that I haven't even zeroed.

To fix this problem, sent the gun off to RetroArmsWorks. Having it cut down to 18", re-crowned, threaded, and a spare YHM QD brake installed. Also having him open up the gas port, replace the GB with an adjustable Superlative Arms unit, and replace the old tubular handguard with a Geissele Mk8 15" blem I found on Midway for $100 off.

I also found a Magpul Gen 3 PRS stock on the arfcom classifieds for $200. Going to try that out. If I hate it, I figure I can flip it for what I paid for it. If I don't like it, may consider replacing the buffer tube with an a5 style tube as I think I have a spare buffer sitting around already.

Excited to get this thing back, hopefully no issues in going with the AGB. Didn't really seem necessary on an 18" rifle build but I wanted the flexibility to dial in the gas with a can.

Well, it's here... and I love it. Not going to have time to take to range for a while but will hopefully will get the chance week of my birthday

Also, hope it surprises no one to learn this thing is fucking heavy. Better keep eating my Wheaties

Last edited by Nephrology; 08-17-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Well, it's here... and I love it. Not going to have time to take to range for a while but will hopefully will get the chance week of my birthday

Also, hope it surprises no one to learn this thing is fucking heavy. Better keep eating my Wheaties
    You might be able to shave some weight with a lighter stock.
    https://seekinsprecision.com/parts-a...omposites.html
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List