Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SPRs, Mk12s, Recces, SDMRs and SAM-Rs, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Is that a carbon fiber handguard?
    Nope, ALG V1 rail.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    How do you like the BCM 18" SS410 barrel? I'm thinking of picking one up.
    I like it quite a bit. It's spectacularly accurate. Based on a sample of two, it outshoots the much more expensive Larue Mk12, and unlike the Larue, the BCM has a very standard 5.56 chamber.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

This thread is relevant to some of things I've been playing with at work(LE Sniper). I currently run a bolt gun(AI) and have another 5.56 rifle with a 1-6 LPVO (daylight visible dot) for general use. We also have a bunch of 16-18" Larue OBRs which have full power NF scopes on them. A precision rifle or .308 gas gun fully equipped(light/IR laser/scope, bipod)are pigs (anywhere from 12-17lbs) compared to their 5.56 cousins. Doing CQB in the shoot house with even a "lighter" 16" gas gun can be done but its not fun and borderline impractical, especially if you don't have a suppressor(loud AF in close quarters).

This leaves the 5.56 variants. I'm starting to think that a SPR type rifle in .223/5.56 with a "real" scope (something with a minimum top end magnification of around 10-12x or preferably more) and an offset RMR/red dot is the most versatile answer for urban precision work. With modern ammunition at typical urban distances (100-200yds max) these 5.56 guns allow mobility, flexibility, ammunition compatibility(I can run my normal kit/ammo), and faster repeat shots than their .308 brethren. The offset RMR also makes shooting with a gas mask/NODs and snap shots a breeze.

I've tried to push the LPVOs into the precision work and found them lacking(I have even T&Ed the new Vortex 1-10x). The magnification and reticles are great for hitting larger more clearly defined targets but when its a head sized target in the shadows of a treeline at 100-150 they start fall short(especially the reticles which generally have to have enough bulk/size to support the daytime illumination) While I still think that a LPVO has a place it's my belief that 6x or even 10x is a bit light for PID of smaller targets, especially when trying to look into windows/structures or get a clear poa on a non-contrasting target. Another not really talked about issue is with a LPVO you lose a lot of eye-relief and head positioning flexibility which really matters in full kit, working with NODs and gas masks.

Overall I really think one needs to clearly define their intended use for the rifle and understand the limitations of what they have. There is no perfect "do all" rifle. As a sniper who plays assaulter sometimes I've come to the conclusion that I like a short suppressed 5.56 rifle with a red dot for patrol/assault work, a LPVO equipped rifle for more open terrain(but I generally just tote my red dot carbine), a .308/.338 bolt gun for hostage rescue/longer range stuff 300-400 yds+, and a "regular" scoped 5.56 AR with an offset RMR for higher mobility urban sniper work.

I just purchased a complete Sons of Liberty Gunworks (SOLGW is a great group of guys BTW) 13.7" a few weeks ago and installed a Geissele SSA-E. I will be mounting a Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44 with an offset RMR, a light, laser and a bipod in the coming months. With good Hornady or Federal bonded ammunition and heavier bullets this thing should do most stuff I want it to do as an LEO sniper and allow me to be much more mobile/versatile overall, I can run it easily during CQB, and I think it may be a generally better answer overall than the .308 semis/bolts even when considering intermediate barriers.

It's only money right?
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 09-08-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like it quite a bit. It's spectacularly accurate. Based on a sample of two, it outshoots the much more expensive Larue Mk12, and unlike the Larue, the BCM has a very standard 5.56 chamber.
    Could I ask what buffer and spring you are running? I ordered my barrel today.

I've got a BCM 16-inch SS 410 barrel arriving next week. Did you use any break-in method on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I've got a BCM 16-inch SS 410 barrel arriving next week. Did you use any break-in method on yours?
    Shoot 5-10. Clean with copper solvent. Carry on.

Shoot 5-10. Clean with copper solvent. Carry on.
    Sounds like what I do: a few cleanings with just solvent during the first 20 rounds and then have at it.

BTW, I like your build too!

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    This thread is relevant to some of things I've been playing with at work(LE Sniper). I currently run a bolt gun(AI) and have another 5.56 rifle with a 1-6 LPVO (daylight visible dot) for general use. We also have a bunch of 16-18" Larue OBRs which have full power NF scopes on them. A precision rifle or .308 gas gun fully equipped(light/IR laser/scope, bipod)are pigs (anywhere from 12-17lbs) compared to their 5.56 cousins. Doing CQB in the shoot house with even a "lighter" 16" gas gun can be done but its not fun and borderline impractical, especially if you don't have a suppressor(loud AF in close quarters).

This leaves the 5.56 variants. I'm starting to think that a SPR type rifle in .223/5.56 with a "real" scope (something with a minimum top end magnification of around 10-12x or preferably more) and an offset RMR/red dot is the most versatile answer for urban precision work. With modern ammunition at typical urban distances (100-200yds max) these 5.56 guns allow mobility, flexibility, ammunition compatibility(I can run my normal kit/ammo), and faster repeat shots than their .308 brethren. The offset RMR also makes shooting with a gas mask/NODs and snap shots a breeze.

I've tried to push the LPVOs into the precision work and found them lacking(I have even T&Ed the new Vortex 1-10x). The magnification and reticles are great for hitting larger more clearly defined targets but when its a head sized target in the shadows of a treeline at 100-150 they start fall short(especially the reticles which generally have to have enough bulk/size to support the daytime illumination) While I still think that a LPVO has a place it's my belief that 6x or even 10x is a bit light for PID of smaller targets, especially when trying to look into windows/structures or get a clear poa on a non-contrasting target. Another not really talked about issue is with a LPVO you lose a lot of eye-relief and head positioning flexibility which really matters in full kit, working with NODs and gas masks.

Overall I really think one needs to clearly define their intended use for the rifle and understand the limitations of what they have. There is no perfect "do all" rifle. As a sniper who plays assaulter sometimes I've come to the conclusion that I like a short suppressed 5.56 rifle with a red dot for patrol/assault work, a LPVO equipped rifle for more open terrain(but I generally just tote my red dot carbine), a .308/.338 bolt gun for hostage rescue/longer range stuff 300-400 yds+, and a "regular" scoped 5.56 AR with an offset RMR for higher mobility urban sniper work.

I just purchased a complete Sons of Liberty Gunworks (SOLGW is a great group of guys BTW) 13.7" a few weeks ago and installed a Geissele SSA-E. I will be mounting a Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44 with an offset RMR, a light, laser and a bipod in the coming months. With good Hornady or Federal bonded ammunition and heavier bullets this thing should do most stuff I want it to do as an LEO sniper and allow me to be much more mobile/versatile overall, I can run it easily during CQB, and I think it may be a generally better answer overall than the .308 semis/bolts even when considering intermediate barriers.

It's only money right?
    An excellent, informative post - THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Could I ask what buffer and spring you are running? I ordered my barrel today.
    Sorry, totally missed this question. I’m using a H buffer and standard spring.

User Tag List